What do new iphone5 owners think of the Apple Maps replacing Google Maps

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
A couple hours after the first sales of iphone 5 this morning, the media began a massive pan campaign of Apple's decision to replace popular Google Maps with it's own. The exuberance and excitement of the iphone5 sales caused the market for Apple shares to jump to new all time high of 705.07 per share and then this negative story broke about how new iphone 5 owners are upset with the new map application. All afternoon the story was all about how Apple really screwed up this time. The stock began to fall and ended up the day with hardly an increase.

One reporter even stated that this is the beginning of the end for Apple because they put out the iphone5 with such high expectations and delivered a disappointing product.

So, to all the owners of the iphone 5 what say you on this story. Are you so upset with the Apple maps you want to go back to your original phone or switch to the Samsung Galaxy? Does Apple forbid you to use Google Maps? or do they just make Google Maps awkward?

One reporter even stated that this is the beginning of the end for Apple because they put out the iphone5 with such high expectations and delivered a disappointing product.

Yes the maps suck and so does the new Passbook feature.

The phone is nice but not really much out now that takes advantage of the extra screen size on the 5.

I was thinking of getting a movie so I could see it use the full screen but I am not sure if the movies are formatted for the 5 or the 4.

This thing is light when I left work tonight I did like I always do, I put the phone in my right front pocket on my pants. When I got to the parking garage I freaked out because I thought I left my phone in my office. It is so light that I didn't feel it in my pocket.

I am glad I ordered extra cables :)

The take a picture while shooting video is a fun feature. I did try the panorama feature but I can't figure how to display them and edit them.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

The exuberance and excitement of the iphone5 sales caused the market for Apple shares to jump to new all time high of 705.07 per share and then this negative story broke about how new iphone 5 owners are upset with the new map application. All afternoon the story was all about how Apple really screwed up this time. The stock began to fall and ended up the day with hardly an increase.
I wouldn't worry too much about the stock. Every new product that comes out has its glitches that get fixed overtime. Once they get fixed, people forget about them completely and the company's stock goes back up. I'm sure Apple's stock will probably hit $1,000 per share by the end of the year.

Well I haven't had trouble with maps. I know I live in a small rural area but I had to run some errands and thought I would tryout the turn by turn feature. The two routes I planned were spot on for me. One was here in town and another was a thirty five mile drive to a neighboring city for dinner.

One was directly input and the other was using Siri to find the restaurant I was going to. Works for me so far, ymmv.

On one hand, I've been so busy getting the phone set up that I haven't had a chance to do much other than use the SatelliteGuys App. I haven't tried any games yet so I can't tell how much faster the A6 is other than things like how much quicker the SatelliteGuys App launches.

I went to Starbucks after getting my car's battery replaced and I went to use the Starbucks app. The barista asked if that was the new iPhone, so I showed it off. Same thing when I sat down, there was a mother and daughter and the daughter had just bought an iPhone 4S and was getting familiar with it. Mom asked if she could see the iPhone 5 and we did a quick side-by-side. Of course, she had a pink bumper-style case, so the size comparison wasn't fair.

I introduced the daughter to the free iTunes music and App Store cards that Starbucks hands out every week.

Back to the phone, it is what I was looking for in an iPhone. The extra screen space is great in iMessage and the apps that have been updated to take advantage of the extra real estate. Even LTE on the phone could have been left off because where I am, AT&T won't have LTE until my phone goes off contract.

As far as the new Maps App is concerned, it's fairly accurate in my area.

Last edited:
Another stupid APP that you must have on your phone that you cannot remove. I wish they would let you remove their APPs like you can do with your own purchased APPs. Fortunately for me I am JB so I can remove their lame useless APPs. My wife is stuck with them and it does annoy her.

I have the Tom Tom APP so I can care less about APPLE Maps or how well it works. If I get the new iPhone 5 it will simply be because I need a new phone, not because I need the 5 specifically.

What about iOS 6? They should just call it iOS 5.5.

A few things:

1) google maps on the iPhone was never as good as on android. Google never rolled out turn by turn navigation to ios.

2) the license to include maps and YouTube expired, it's not clear who decided not to renew- but I'm not sure automatic renewal is as simple as people make it out to be.

3) from what I've read, nothing is stopping google from releasing a maps app for ios. Initially the indication was that they would (just like YouTube). In the last few days, google reps have backed off from that initial sentiment somewhat, so it's not clear if a maps app will be released or if google will use it to differentiate android from ios.

4) google maps via safari still works.

Please note that I can't really comment on the new maps versus the old ones because I never used google maps. Not having turn by turn navigation led me to buy the navigon app ages ago and it still works great (they just added all the transit info as an in app purchase a couple of days back).

So to answer your question, I'd say maps will get better over time. People that don't like the news one can still use google via safari and maybe someday via an app. If that doesn't suit them, they can choose from one of the many quality mapping apps in the app store.

Using the maps app right now on a 120 mile trip to my dad's. The recommended route looks good except it uses a state highway towards the end and we'll use a county road that cuts off a few miles. I like that navigation is still on—my notification bard is green and I can return to maps just by touching it. I used siri to set the route and that also worked well.

I say good riddance to google maps on the iPhone. I use it on my computer all the time but they have always held it back on the iPhone to make sure android got a better version. The iPhone finally has free turn by turn directions built in after google wouldn't give it to them. Android and even my old Blackberry have had that for years. The switch had to be made and apple will fix the glitches over time.

Last edited:
I have a Garmin nüvi for serious navigation, but I downloaded and use Waze as a crowd-sourced Navigation app. It uses reports from its users to enable up-to-the-minute routing and can re-direct you if an accident or major slowdown is detected on your route.

DodgerKing said:
I have the Tom Tom APP so I can care less about APPLE Maps or how well it works. If I get the new iPhone 5 it will simply be because I need a new phone, not because I need the 5 specifically.

What about iOS 6? They should just call it iOS 5.5.

I was playing around with maps and if you hit the bottom right corner to switch between satellite/hybrid/road map there is a little annotation "Data from TomTom, others". So it may work a lot like your current app? Might not be worth it in your case there?

I'm going to give it a few more tries next time I drive down to little rock to visit my brother. If it still works well then I plan on dropping my OnStar directions & connections. Might drop the whole plan, but I like to have it just incase?

Gloom and doom reporting, eh? It's just a natural tendency to support David against Goliath. Sold over twice as fast as the last record setter. No reports of anyone cancelling or returning iPhone 5s.

Other reports still expect this model to far outsell previous models. There's plenty new in it now, and it's a new platform for further improvements.

I just used the new maps turn by turn navigation for about a 45 minute trip each way to Ann Arbor and back tonight even though I have a Garmin stand alone GPS. It got the job done for me. I don't know if I took the best route because I don't know the area well but it got me to the brewery i was looking for and it got me home.

Scott Greczkowski said:

The phone is nice but not really much out now that takes advantage of the extra screen size on the 5.

I was thinking of getting a movie so I could see it use the full screen but I am not sure if the movies are formatted for the 5 or the 4.

This thing is light when I left work tonight I did like I always do, I put the phone in my right front pocket on my pants. When I got to the parking garage I freaked out because I thought I left my phone in my office. It is so light that I didn't feel it in my pocket.

I am glad I ordered extra cables :)

The take a picture while shooting video is a fun feature. I did try the panorama feature but I can't figure how to display them and edit them.

Passbook needs to be given time. I noticed an app I have fom Walgreens that makes use of it. Overtime this has the potential t be very valuable. During the beta it was a joke, because there were no ios6 apps out.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

I was surprised that Starbucks wasn't one of the Passbook Apps available at launch. I will be interested to see the geo-fencing detect when I walk into the local store. ?

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry too much about the stock. Every new product that comes out has its glitches that get fixed overtime. Once they get fixed, people forget about them completely and the company's stock goes back up. I'm sure Apple's stock will probably hit $1,000 per share by the end of the year.

I'm not worried at all. These things rarely are permanent. Netflix is one exception. I doubt the fundamentals will support a $1000 per share in a couple months, but in 12 months, with a good ipad mini acceptance ( market is expecting this next month ) and apple TV in March, we are poised for $900 target. I expect a low earnings report coming up which could pull the stock back a bit. The iphone5 sales won't impact the report as it's too late in the qtr. Next year is a real tossup as too many political issues that can affect this and everything else in 2013.

A few things:

4) google maps via safari still works.

So to answer your question, I'd say maps will get better over time. People that don't like the news one can still use google via safari and maybe someday via an app. If that doesn't suit them, they can choose from one of the many quality mapping apps in the app store.

Thanks, that's what I was curious about. I use my browser on my ipad3 for lots of stuff where no app exists too. Just didn't know if Apple blocked it like they did with Flash.

Thanks to everyone for their comments. Not having the phone I was just curious if there was anything to the report.

BTW- my biggest complaint on Google maps on my phone is the need for internet. Many places I want to use maps I am out of range. Someone here once introduced me to Copilot. What a bargain and has voice turn by turn too. Since the maps are installed on the SD card, it is great to use anywhere. Just need a good view of the sky. I even use it on an airplane in the window seat.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)