What Do You Do For Online Gaming

Jaeldawn

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 27, 2012
Tennessee
Okay, I know I have boo hooed enough about the data cap with Exede, but I am locked in with the for 2 years, and cannot help but miss WoW and other online games I played. I have mentioned before that I do live in the country, and satellite is my only option. Are my online gaming days over?? I know they are at least for the next 2 years, but is there a satellite internet service that I can play online games with? I honestly haven't been dealing well with this.

I do like being outside as well. This is the reason I moved to the country, my own house by the way. At night though, when everything in this little town is closed, and especially now that winter is around the corner, I do like relaxing and playing a game or two. Nothing wrong with that. If I am playing though, it is much more fun in a social setting with an MMORPG, and for that, you need a good internet connection Once that I cannot find with satellite.

games dont really use alot of bandwidth during play, its the updating
of course your pings on sat will be high
try it and see how it works

i use my phone as a hotspot and it works fine

That is very helpful, and not judgmental at all.

I don't understand how it is not judgmental. You all judged me and assumed I was a loser kid mooching on my parents just because I want to play online games. You guys also assume that just because I like to play a video game that I don't enjoy life, or the outdoors, which is far from the truth. I am a stay at home wife and nanny part time, and don't live in my parent's basement. I do LOVE to be outside, seeing as I bought a house in the country to enjoy the outside all of the time. At the same time, I game as a hobby, when I am not watching kids and mostly at night, or when it is bad weather, and was just wanting to know some advise for doing that with satellite.

I don't understand how it is not judgmental. You all judged me and assumed I was a loser kid mooching on my parents just because I want to play online games. You guys also assume that just because I like to play a video game that I don't enjoy life, or the outdoors, which is far from the truth. I am a stay at home wife and nanny part time, and don't live in my parent's basement. I do LOVE to be outside, seeing as I bought a house in the country to enjoy the outside all of the time. At the same time, I game as a hobby, when I am not watching kids and mostly at night, or when it is bad weather, and was just wanting to know some advise for doing that with satellite.

My apologies for the misunderstanding. My post (the one you quoted) was a sarcastic response to the following post by greg:

Enjoy life for change. See what the world's like outside your mom's basement.

//greg//

I should have put the proper emoticon after it to be more clear.

Personally, I also enjoy gaming from time to time (and I probably spend as much time outside in a day as most do in a week ;) ) I also do not live in a basement of any kind lol.

As to your problem, unfortunately, sat internet service simply is not "game friendly" for what you want to use it for.
A mobile cell hotspot MAY work, but I doubt you would get sufficient consistent speed outside of a 4g connection, and even then, your data caps would probably not allow you to play much at all. I have never tried to use a cell connection in that manner personally, but Tigerprowler used to use a verizon air card to play Halo with our little satguys game group, and it was constantly "jumpy" during gameplay.

As to your problem, unfortunately, sat internet service simply is not "game friendly" for what you want to use it for.
A mobile cell hotspot MAY work, but I doubt you would get sufficient consistent speed outside of a 4g connection, and even then, your data caps would probably not allow you to play much at all. I have never tried to use a cell connection in that manner personally, but Tigerprowler used to use a verizon air card to play Halo with our little satguys game group, and it was constantly "jumpy" during gameplay.

actually 3g works very well, so 4g should be fine if its available
my pings can rane from 30-150, dependng on the game
the most issue i can ever remember having was during eve online major fleet battles, but then i dont think anything keeps up with those
and of course there was always jita................

actually the most issue i can ever remember having was during eve online major fleet battles, but then i dont think anything keeps up with those
and of course there was always jita................

This is promising. I always had that problem with cable anyway, so it sounds like this may work. Maybe by the time my contract is up they will have 6g and it will be even better. :)

This is promising. I always had that problem with cable anyway, so it sounds like this may work. Maybe by the time my contract is up they will have 6g and it will be even better. :)

test it a few times and see how it works for you
keep an eye on data usage

i use an app called pdanet

Jaeldawn said:
Okay, I know I have boo hooed enough about the data cap with Exede, but I am locked in with the for 2 years, and cannot help but miss WoW and other online games I played. I have mentioned before that I do live in the country, and satellite is my only option. Are my online gaming days over?? I know they are at least for the next 2 years, but is there a satellite internet service that I can play online games with? I honestly haven't been dealing well with this.

The short answer is; neither you, or any sat ISP can change the laws of physics. Best I can recall Geo Sats sit about 23,000 miles above the equator. With that info we can do some quick math to find a base ping rate of the service.

1. 23,000 X 2 = 46,000 ( one trip from your house to the sat then back down to Earth )
2. Your data then must travel from your ISP to whatever its destination may be, then back to the sat uplink station ( we can be really generous and say 75 ms )
3. Now the return trip from Earth to sat, then back to your house ( Another 46,000 miles )

Light travels at 186,000 miles per second. So 96,000 / 186,000 = .516 seconds or 516 ms, plus the 75 ms for normal Internet routing gives you a best case ping of ~ 586 ms

While this is not optimal it should be ok for games like WoW or other MMOs, however games like CoD, or Halo will seem very leggy at best, unplayable at their worst.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Hmmm, I must be slipping. It was supposed to be judgmental. IMO the OP has a withdrawal problem, not a satellite problem. Now he's got 2 years to get re-acquainted with the real world.

//greg//

I play online video games at-least 2 hours per day. It is a hobby of mine that helps me blow off stress. I also work full time, I recently went back "full time" to school to finish my Computer Engineering degree, and have a family that I support. I see nothing wrong with with playing video games. Some could say the same about people who sit around and post on forums, or watch tv all day :p.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts