What foods do you miss from back home?

Born & raised in Georgia, so there's a lot of foods I miss from back home... :hungry:

Sweet Tea
Sausage Gravy & Biscuits
Collard Greens
Grits
Black Eye Peas
Fried Okra
Butter Beans
Dressin'

More things from home in Michigan,

The real vernors as stated above,
Towne club soda wich I last had in 02,
Faygo becuase its hard as hell to get down here.
Zehnders fried chicken,
Frankenmuth fudge and cheese,
Polish sausage with qruat on a roll from the dog stand in Ann Arbor,
Pancakes from the Brown Jug,
A&W chilli dogs with a brown cow,
New York crunchy from Dough Boys Bakery,
Banzai burger and towering onion Rings from Red Robin,
Breakfast at Bob Evans,
Ice cream treats from the soft serve at the end of the street,
Pizza from Pizza Bobs,
Subs and pizza from Mr Spots,
Coffee from the Blue front,
Cream Soda and cookies from The VC,
Drinks with friends at any number of locations in the area.

I guess I mis-read the intention of the thread. Food items you miss from home; BUT that you can't find anywhere else. I would at least expect not to see any chains on anyone's lists.

Well chains kind of have to be allowed because a chain isnt always national where as it may be regional or very limited in its national distribution. For instance theres a faux mexican chain here in Georgia called The Taco Stand that isnt in Michigan but it is out in the northwest, there arent any Red Robbins here but they are back up north and I havent seen a Bob Evans since somewhere around Kentucky and likewise the closest Sonic's to Michigan is in Cleveland yet theres one or three in every city in the south it seems.

Thread title is what foods do you miss from home, nothing there states any limitations.

Well chains kind of have to be allowed because a chain isnt always national where as it may be regional or very limited in its national distribution. For instance theres a faux mexican chain here in Georgia called The Taco Stand that isnt in Michigan but it is out in the northwest, there arent any Red Robbins here but they are back up north and I havent seen a Bob Evans since somewhere around Kentucky and likewise the closest Sonic's to Michigan is in Cleveland yet theres one or three in every city in the south it seems.

Thread title is what foods do you miss from home, nothing there states any limitations.

I had no idea Bob Evans were limited to outside the surrounding Ohio areas. Just took for granted this was a national chain. Interesting.

I miss properly cooked ribs. Everything down here is dry rub smoked/cooked. You can squirt watered down BBQ sause on it afterwards but it is not the same. Up North some of the local joints had great ribs with the sause dripping off of it when you got them. Was very messy but good!

Also, cannot find Verners. Goes great with the ribs mentioned above when you cannot crack open a beer.

A true filled stick from a donut shop. Cannot get them down here with the proper filling.

The Waffles vs. Pancakes thread brought up Scrapple... on the Today show this morning they showed some Hocakes (not from my region) I googled and came up with this page
[ame=http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=hocakes&btnG=Search]hocakes - Google Search[/ame]... interesting.

As a native Detroiter I miss Vernor's Ginger Ale, Sanders Buttercreme Cake (the old style, not the new square coffee-like cake), Shatila Baklava, and Molson Brador; I still miss the "southern style" grits from when I was stationed in Southwest Georgia (SOWEGA!) in the 80s; miss Virginia/North Carolina style BBQ after leaving the Mid-Atlantic; and I have been missing my grandma's homemade pierogi, galumpki, kielbasa and kishka (when she passed); and my other grandma's homemade spaghetti, ravioli, rigatoni, mostacholi, and lasagna (when she passed).

Hardly a month goes by when my wife doesn't complain she can't get Maryland crabcake or something called funnelcake.

I am getting hungry!:hungry:

I love funnel cakes.:hungry:

Attachments

• 30838funnel cake.jpg
    30838funnel cake.jpg
    360.4 KB · Views: 145
Never heard of Bob Evans... We do have 2 Sonics... I wish we had a What-A-Burger and a Red Lobster... have to go 80+ miles for that food...

We have a Bob Evans where I live, they are building our first Sonic.

Red Lobster isn't all it's cut out to be. I like Joe's Crab Shack better.

Yep, if you are a chile lover and I bet you are; YOU MUST GO. I think dfergie has been as well. Tucson, AZ also has a decent chile fest in the fall. I would also recommend the Gilroy, CA garlic fest.

The Anaheim chiles are a bit milder cousin of the New Mexico; They are also called the California chile
I love the Garlic Fest my Grandmother got me hooked!

We have a Bob Evans where I live, they are building our first Sonic.

Red Lobster isn't all it's cut out to be. I like Joe's Crab Shack better.

Red Lobster is among a long list of Chain Restaurants including The Olive Garden, Longhorn Steakhouse, Bahama Breeze, etc. owned by the Darden Company. All cookie cutter places where everything is made from a box of ingredients.

Red Lobster is among a long list of Chain Restaurants including The Olive Garden, Longhorn Steakhouse, Bahama Breeze, etc. owned by the Darden Company. All cookie cutter places where everything is made from a box of ingredients.

Didn't you see that I don't like Red Lobster?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts