What goes into picture quality?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

LordAlex

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jul 6, 2006
I've noticed that some channels i get at 30% quality on my FTA system looks as good and are as stable as my Dir-TV setup...but sometimes, esp feeds, I find at around 30% quality are often crappy in picture quality...broken up... I've not taken notes on symbol rates or anything but I was wondering what make a good picture?

:hatsoff:

I have wondered about this as well, what is the difference between the signal strength and quality? I always care about getting the quality as high as possible...and that usually gives me best results.

Tron said:
FEC (Forward Error Correction) rates can help when the error correction is generous.

Is this a receiver setting?

LordAlex said:
Is this a receiver setting?

No... it's part of the uplinker's setup. Google it....

Forward Error Correction. The purpose of the FEC scheme on the data payload is to reduce the number of retransmissions. Within Bluetooth technology, there are 2 versions of this, 1/3 FEC and 2/3 FEC. 1/3 FEC is a simple 3-times repetition of each info bit. 2/3 FEC is a (15,10) shortened Hamming code.

Forward Error Correction. Technique that uses redundant information passed with the actual data to detect and correct errors without any retransmission of the data bits in error. Several standard FEC types exist within the communications systems produced by Radyne ComStream, including Trellis, Viterbi, Sequential, and Viterbi/Reed Solomon concatenated.

FEC – Forward Error Correction – It is a powerful technique for improving the performance of error-prone channels found in communication systems. It is a system of error control for data transmission where the receiving device has the capability to detect and correct any character or code block that contains fewer then a predetermined number of symbols in error. It is intended to improve the capacity of a channel by adding some carefully designed redundant information to the data being transmitted through the channel.

Kind of like parity files found on usenet. ;)

More on FEC!

"What's FEC?

Satellite transponders are rather noisy communications channels are are therefore subject to a large number of errors when a signal is sent through them. Because satellite transmissions are broadcast, the receiver cannot send a message to the transmitter to say "I didn't get that last piece of information, please re-transmit it". As a result, Forward Error Correction is used, where the transmitter sends error correction information along with the actual signal so that should errors occur, the receiver can re-generate the bit stream.

FEC when used with QPSK modulation uses two forms of error correction. The first, called convolutional coding with the Viterbi algorithm code is quoted as a fraction, for example, 2/3. The fraction defines the amount of the symbol rate that's used for real data, with the remainder used error correction purposes.

After the convolutional error correction code has been removed and used as needed, a second error form of error correction is used called the Reed-Solomon code. This correction results in 188 bytes out for every 204 bytes coming in with the remainder used as parity bits to help correct any remaining errors. Additionally, the FEC scheme also uses interleaving of the data stream to prevent noise bursts from interrupting the flow of data in much the same way that CDs use it to prevent scratches from causing drop-outs.

Consider the following message:

This is a sample message

If interleaved, it might look like:

eTs haais mgi smeaesp l

Should an error occur and say wipe out the 'mgi' part of the message, the de-interleaved message will now read

This *s a sa*ple messsa*e

As a result, only single characters are missing from the message (shown here as asterix), rather than an entire word missing in the case of non-interleaved data.

As a final step, the QPSK symbols are scrambled to ensure that long runs of the same symbol value don't cause a lack of change in phase of the carrier. Since the QPSK demodulator obtains its signal clock from directly from the signal, there must be a large number of phase changes in order to re-generate the clock and of course scrambling results in this. Note: this form of scrambling is not the same as scrambling of the decoded signal.

Why use different SR/FEC values?

When people purchase time on a satellite, in effect they are primarily paying for the bandwidth. Therefore if a programmer wanted to transmit three video channels via a transponder, he would use less bandwidth than a service that transmitted six. However, the bandwidth of a transponder is finite and therefore an upper limit is placed on the SR (typically between 28 and 29 MS/s). By reducing the amount of FEC information sent along with the actual data, the number of channels can be increased. However, this then means that errors are harder to correct and that the down link stations must be able to receive a certain signal strength (i.e. use a certain size dish) in order to receive quality programming via the transponder."

I see...so for feeds it is known that the intended receiver is on professional equipment with certain size dish and FEC is not used probably.

LordAlex said:
I see...so for feeds it is known that the intended receiver is on professional equipment with certain size dish and FEC is not used probably.

No... FEC is always used. Check Lyngsat and you'll see the FEC rates for different muxes.

It's always used, but often inadequate for smaller dishes. To further the PAR file analogy, its like having a lot of bad files and only a few PARs to fix them :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DVB World USB HDTV HELP!!!!!

Trx-1520?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts