What happened to the PBS stations?

My buddy who has DISH tried to record the Fireworks and music hours on PBS last night for the 4th and it came back with black screen on both hours. We are in the Beaumont/Pt.Arthur,Texas dma. Good thing NBC was showing fireworks and music too. Noticed CNN had them on too. He said today the picture was back on PBS.

My buddy who has DISH tried to record the Fireworks and music hours on PBS last night for the 4th and it came back with black screen on both hours. We are in the Beaumont/Pt.Arthur,Texas dma. Good thing NBC was showing fireworks and music too. Noticed CNN had them on too. He said today the picture was back on PBS.

Yeah, no capitol fourth yesterday. I didn’t feel like dealing with crowds so I watched cnn for a change. Don’t think I’ve watched it since Bourdain died. The missing channels are back here too. It would be nice to know what happened, but contacting them is too painful.

This the Dish Network forum though, not the OTA forum.
Nevertheless, we discuss the OTA tuners built for Dish receivers all the time. Some people cannot get their channels OTA. The rest of us certainly should put up an antenna and drop the local channels from Dish for a savings of $12/mo, the last time I checked.

Nevertheless, we discuss the OTA tuners built for Dish receivers all the time. Some people cannot get their channels OTA. The rest of us certainly should put up an antenna and drop the local channels from Dish for a savings of $12/mo, the last time I checked.

Well the topic was regarding certain channels not working via satellite. I think we know alternate methods were working ok. I imagine people with fios and directv didn’t have any problems with them either.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Well, they all came back for a day; non-PBS 20, 50; PBS: 32, 26, 62 all good. Got a couple of shows on DVR.
Now, are still getting 20 & 26 &32 OK, but 50 & 62 back to the "we know, don't call" slate.
Strange symptoms, still assume they've just lost the local-to-dish feed.

Well, they all came back for a day; non-PBS 20, 50; PBS: 32, 26, 62 all good. Got a couple of shows on DVR.
Now, are still getting 20 & 26 &32 OK, but 50 & 62 back to the "we know, don't call" slate.
Strange symptoms, still assume they've just lost the local-to-dish feed.
Same here, but 25 is also out. 62 is the only one that I sort of care about though.

So what is the definition of a local channel in Dish TV world? Are the local NBC, ABC, Fox and CBS affiliates part local channels package? They haven’t been affected so I just wondered.

Reactions: charlesrshell
And...DC area PBS stations still unavailable on Dish today. Channels 26, 32, 62 all show the same slate saying "There is no need to call us. We are aware this TV station is temporarily unavailable and we will have this channel back as quickly as possible." Really tough to keep up with all the murders happening in Oxford & other small English villages. :)
That message might be generic, but it's the one we see when the tpt stations in the Twin Cities are undergoing maintenance. They have publicized widely about their upgrade happening in July and August.

IIRC channels 7 and 9 are still high-VHF.
WHUT 32.1 also now comes from WJLA's VHF 7 signal and WJAL 68.1 comes from WUSA's VHF 9 signal.

WMDE 36.1 is also on VHF 5. (Complicated, licensed to Dover DE, but their Maryland tower site lets them claim DC as their DMA, it was one of 2 VHF allotments the FCC created after the DTV transition in an attempt to prevent another broadcaster from exploiting a loophole to move what is now WDPN/2 from Wyoming to Wilmington DE)

Last edited:
And...DC area PBS stations still unavailable on Dish today. Channels 26, 32, 62 all show the same slate saying "There is no need to call us. We are aware this TV station is temporarily unavailable and we will have this channel back as quickly as possible." Really tough to keep up with all the murders happening in Oxford & other small English villages. :)
I make a $75 donation to my local PBS station and get their streaming service PBS Passport and can watch everything current and past on the internet.

If you really want to know why a station is off Dish, call the station. All these stations probably went together and set up some form of transmission to Dish and it may have failed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)