What if there is a TREE.............

OK, now.................

Dave nye said:
Why run all the extra cables from the dishes. You can cascade DP34's. Just take the output side of one DP34 into the other.

I talked to a friend of mine and he recommends that I take the DP Quad off of the existing 500 Dish and replace it with a DP Twin. Then install another Dish 500 dish for 61.5 and put another DP Twin there ( He said that for the price, I should get the 500 instead of a 300 Dish, and use a Twin instead of a single lnb, as it looks better ). Using the existing coax from the Quad. Then put in a DP-34 in the basement and run the 110/119 coax from the DP Twin and the 61.5 from the other into the DP-34. I might use your suggestion and cascade another DP-34 to run to other rooms of the house. (I have a 508 and a 510 and an 811 now, hoping to purchase a 942 shortly which would use up 2 of the ports of the DP-34. I would like to keep the 510 in the room with the 942 for recording SD, and put the 811 in our family room and the 508 in the basement. Enough of this rambling. How does this sound as a good setup?
Thanks for the responses:
Lyle !sadroll

Consider DP Duals. If you use a DP Twin with a switch, the input side of the DP Twin is automatically disconnected. Using a 500 dish is a good idea if you are in the fringe of satellites foot prints. The "I" bracket for the 500 dish is fairly cheap. You can add additional DP34's if needed. The only draw back with the DP34, it is for three separate satellites. The DPP44 allows for four. If you use a DP21 in cascade with the DP34 it only gives you a single line for the 4th satellite and it can't be used with a separator. Also if you use the Duals with the DPP44, you can use one cable to a separator with dual tuner receivers!

Some questions..............

boy921 said:
Consider DP Duals. If you use a DP Twin with a switch, the input side of the DP Twin is automatically disconnected. Using a 500 dish is a good idea if you are in the fringe of satellites foot prints. The "I" bracket for the 500 dish is fairly cheap. You can add additional DP34's if needed. The only draw back with the DP34, it is for three separate satellites. The DPP44 allows for four. If you use a DP21 in cascade with the DP34 it only gives you a single line for the 4th satellite and it can't be used with a separator. Also if you use the Duals with the DPP44, you can use one cable to a separator with dual tuner receivers!

I see the problem with using a DP Twin, but I don't quite know what the "input side of the DP Twin" is. I feel that I am in a fringe area because if you notice there is a tree that may be in my way of perfect allignment to the 61.5 sat. and this will probably cause some interference. I bought the "Twins" yesterday and am excited about hooking things up. I also got 2 DP-34's so I can be ready for anything E* may have to offer in the future.
Thanks for the comeback:
Lyle :confused:

Parlyle said:
I see the problem with using a DP Twin, but I don't quite know what the "input side of the DP Twin" is. I feel that I am in a fringe area because if you notice there is a tree that may be in my way of perfect allignment to the 61.5 sat. and this will probably cause some interference. I bought the "Twins" yesterday and am excited about hooking things up. I also got 2 DP-34's so I can be ready for anything E* may have to offer in the future.
Thanks for the comeback:
Lyle :confused:
This server is slow tonight. It is better to use an "I" bracket and DP duals. But that is ok. Set you dish with the twin to 119/110. Go to this site for directions: http://www.solidsignal.com/dishnetwork/DISH_Pro-DISH_Pro_Plus_Installation_Guides/DISH_Pro_Twin_LNBF_Installation_Guide.pdf
Once you have both, then you can cover one of the bells and do a check switch. Which ever disappears is the one you covered. You will then determine which one are 119. You can uncover the bell and get the dish set for 61.5. Level you skew if it isn't. I think it is 90 degrees so there is no right or left tilt. Get it aimed at 61.5 and do a check switch. Put your receiver on point dish for 61.5 and then you will need to make small adjustments to the elevations and azimuth until you get the best signal for 61.5. If you don't get it on the once 110 they you may hit it with the once 110. I think that one or the other will remain "Xed" as it can’t see a satellite.
Good luck and Get-R-Done.

Additional: My bad. What I discussed about the input on the twin. That is for a DP+ twin. It has two outputs and one input. the DP twin only has two outputs.

I got NEWS for a few people re trees and the 61.5 signal.
I install Dish 500's for the 110 and 119 birds, and trees can be problem.
Since my other two locals (UPN, WB) are on the 61.5 I never bothered to request the wing dish. But since Dish added the 10 "voom" channels, I called for the free 61.5 install for the two must carry channels. I moved my Dish 500 to another post for a better view of 110,119 and a possible view for the 61.5.
Well, the regional installer came, shot the azimuth and said it won't work due to trees. I already had the second bracket/post U-bolted to the main post.
I said give it a try anyway. We got the meter to react and we tightened it down. Came inside and got a 80 reading on my 811. It's even raining tonight and no pixelation. I really don't believe it myself because there can't be more than an 8 inch hole between the tree branches - it is thick with leaves but is working okay. If I develop a problem, I'll just move the wing dish for a better shot.
So, you really have to try it to see if it works.

fred

We can only hope...............

Fredinva said:
I got NEWS for a few people re trees and the 61.5 signal.
I install Dish 500's for the 110 and 119 birds, and trees can be problem.
Since my other two locals (UPN, WB) are on the 61.5 I never bothered to request the wing dish. But since Dish added the 10 "voom" channels, I called for the free 61.5 install for the two must carry channels. I moved my Dish 500 to another post for a better view of 110,119 and a possible view for the 61.5.
Well, the regional installer came, shot the azimuth and said it won't work due to trees. I already had the second bracket/post U-bolted to the main post.
I said give it a try anyway. We got the meter to react and we tightened it down. Came inside and got a 80 reading on my 811. It's even raining tonight and no pixelation. I really don't believe it myself because there can't be more than an 8 inch hole between the tree branches - it is thick with leaves but is working okay. If I develop a problem, I'll just move the wing dish for a better shot.
So, you really have to try it to see if it works.

fred

This is what I was waiting for. Some positive feedback with trees involved. I can hardly wait to put all of this stuff together and see what I have. One question. How did you hookup the meter? Did you take the lnb off of the arm it is on to get at the port or what? I have the DP-Twin and the only way I thought to hook up a meter is to run a short coax up the support arm. Then hook up to the Port 1, after taking the lnb off the Y-Bracket then put the lnb back on the Y- Bracket and then read the meter.
So much to learn, and so little time.

Parlyle said:
I just went out and sighted for the 61.5 Sat. Guess what,,,, there is a tree about 10 feet from my satellite post, right in the same azimuth as I need to aim the dish. There is a small opening that the LNBF might be able to "see" through if I aim correctly. How much area does the LNBF need to get a good signal? The tree is a maple that is about 40 years old. Please help. I need the 61.5.
Thanks for the response:
Lyle :shocked
Is there another place you can install your wing dish? For example I have my superdish on the rear west and my 61.5 on the rear east of my roof because there's a maple tree in the front yard centered between them. So each dish is looking in opposite directions. Also 61.5 has a higher elevation so the further back it is helps.

me and my installer buddy "Husqvarna" can get that thing installed for you with no problem. He helped me when my Ficus tree got too big and blocked my 110/119 signal (almost 70 ft tall )

It's in the way back of my mind................

John Walsh said:
me and my installer buddy "Husqvarna" can get that thing installed for you with no problem. He helped me when my Ficus tree got too big and blocked my 110/119 signal (almost 70 ft tall )

Yes I am aquainted with your buddy. If there is no way to get something on the meter I will think about "thinning" out the tree. There are some posts saying that there is a chance that I might have enough signal to accomodate the recievers. Here's to wishing.

Here's my shot through the trees for 61.5. :)

Attachments

• IMAG0005.JPG
    IMAG0005.JPG
    265 KB · Views: 139
Judging by the site of what you have there... you really have several solutions...

1: a bulldozer will clear a nice path...
2: a chainsaw will clear a nice path... ( though it will take a bit longer)
3: my personal favorite.. couple sticks of dynomite!!!!

Khandurian....

What a view!.......

SimpleSimon said:
Here's my shot through the trees for 61.5. :)

What a nice place to come home to. Looks like we know what came first from the budget, and the driveway came in second. I will be more optimistic after looking at what you had to shoot through. What do you get for readings on 61.5 from the recievers? I have a DP-Twin and a Dish 500 that I am going to try to get 61.5 with. I am also replacing a DP-Quad with a DP-Twin for my 110/119. Should I put those 2 leads into a DP-34 with the lead from the 61.5? What is your opinion? I also ordered a 941 today, so I'll be using 2 of the 4 outputs on the DP-34 for that. Another output will be used for a 510 that I already have in place. Any and all suggestions are really appreciated.

Parlyle said:
What a nice place to come home to. Looks like we know what came first from the budget, and the driveway came in second. I will be more optimistic after looking at what you had to shoot through. What do you get for readings on 61.5 from the recievers? I have a DP-Twin and a Dish 500 that I am going to try to get 61.5 with. I am also replacing a DP-Quad with a DP-Twin for my 110/119. Should I put those 2 leads into a DP-34 with the lead from the 61.5? What is your opinion? I also ordered a 941 today, so I'll be using 2 of the 4 outputs on the DP-34 for that. Another output will be used for a 510 that I already have in place. Any and all suggestions are really appreciated.
Thanks! Actually, that's not the driveway at all, just a natural gap (about 5' wide).

On my 921, I get:
  • 65+ on TP 10 26 30
  • 70+ on TP 2, 16, 27, 29, 31, 32
  • 85+ on TP 6, 14, 18, 22
  • 90+ on TP 25
  • 95+ on TP 8, 12, 20
Nothing on anything else. Note that the V* TPs (1, 3, 5, 7) do NOT show up in the point dish screen, so no way to know what's what there.

If you have any doubts about getting enough strength on 61.5 use a DP Single or Dual and a D500 with I-beam adapter. Other than that, you've got a good plan for your 942 or 921. Which is it?

I was wondering about that...............

SimpleSimon said:
Thanks! Actually, that's not the driveway at all, just a natural gap (about 5' wide).

On my 921, I get:
  • 65+ on TP 10 26 30
  • 70+ on TP 2, 16, 27, 29, 31, 32
  • 85+ on TP 6, 14, 18, 22
  • 90+ on TP 25
  • 95+ on TP 8, 12, 20
Nothing on anything else. Note that the V* TPs (1, 3, 5, 7) do NOT show up in the point dish screen, so no way to know what's what there.

If you have any doubts about getting enough strength on 61.5 use a DP Single or Dual and a D500 with I-beam adapter. Other than that, you've got a good plan for your 942 or 921. Which is it?

Yep, I just checked and I wrote the wrong number. It's a 942...... You would think that after a few years with E* I might know what they have in their basket. Sorry. What exactly is the I-beam adapter? Is that the arm that came with the original "300" setup?
Thanks for the correction, "good eye".
Lyle :eek:

An I-Beam is an expensive plastic adapter to mount a Single/Dual LNB onto a Dish500 arm. It takes the place of the Y-adapter.

It keeps the LNB face at the correct distance from the dish.

It's a standard E* part. Sorry, I don't have the part number.

Parlyle said:
Yep, I just checked and I wrote the wrong number. It's a 942...... You would think that after a few years with E* I might know what they have in their basket. Sorry. What exactly is the I-beam adapter? Is that the arm that came with the original "300" setup?
Thanks for the correction, "good eye".
Lyle :eek:
Lyle, go to this site for the "I" adapter information. http://www.dishstore.net/product_info.php?cPath=38&products_id=146

Just ordered it..............

Thanks for the link. I just got done ordering the adapter + I also ordered a DP Dual LNBF. I think this just about finished the "shopping list" (and budget). Now comes the hard part. Waiting for the stuff to get here!
Thanks again:
Lyle :bounce

Parlyle said:
Thanks for the link. I just got done ordering the adapter + I also ordered a DP Dual LNBF. I think this just about finished the "shopping list" (and budget). Now comes the hard part. Waiting for the stuff to get here!
Thanks again:
Lyle :bounce
I'm getting anxious to find out if you can get 61.5 at the location you are wanting to use.

Your not the only one............

boy921 said:
I'm getting anxious to find out if you can get 61.5 at the location you are wanting to use.

I am too. From all of the existing pix that I have seen it looks like that I'll be close. But we shall see.
I will keep all posted as to what happens. Until then any and all suggestions will be thankfully accepted.
Thank: Lyle :yes

Dish UPN24 Lease ending?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)