What made you choose the format you did

I chose the PS3 which put me in the BD camp. I have always liked Sony's video game systems and the PS2 got me into the DVD game so now the PS3 got me into the BD game. Of an interesting note, I wanted to play Halo so my youngest daughter game me an XBOX with Halo for Xmas '05 the year before the XBOX360 came out. I had told her that I was going to wait for the 360 to come out and she got me the XBOX anyway. After that my wife would not let me get a 360. I ended up saving my change for 8 months and when the PS3 came out I had enough money for the 60gb.

The other major factor was studio support. I am a fan of Disney, Fox and Warner movies. So BD was the only way to go. Had Disney and Fox gone with HD-DVD then I would of had a HD-DVD standalone in my rack before XMAS 06! As it was, I became a strong BD supporter and I am lucky that BD has won out. Let's get on with the BD movies from Universal and Paramount! If Toshiba announces that they are going to end support for HD-DVD then Universal and Paramount should be able to support BD ASAP!!

Last edited:
$25-$30 for a movie has kept me on the sidelines. I'm happy.

While I can appreciate anyone's choice to stay on the sidelines of this format 'war'...I have to say that cost of the movies should be waaay down on the list.

We have a thing called the internet and LOTS of discount retailers. The promotions the last 6-8 months have been fantastic. I've scored 40+ discs in both formats and have paid under $15 on average for them...Amazon, anyone? Just got 4 major titles from deepdiscount.com for $12 a pop. Just saying--don't go by retail, especially in an aggressively competitive market like we've had.

You don't pay top retail for your music, do you? If so, you'd be paying close to $18 a record/disc/album...yikes.

IMO BD was the best format, it came standard on the PS3, and had the most industry support.
I disagree. While BD may have greater capacity possibilities, it isn't a comprehensive standard yet and if you don't have an PS3, you may not be able to take advantage of all it eventually has to offer. Alternatively, the possibilities may exist but the software will be restricted to some lesser standard due to a lack of compatible players.

A standard is no good if nobody sees a reason implement it correctly.

I was one of the nut jobs on line when PS3 came out. I didn't even know it was a Blu Ray player. I thought it was just another video game machine.

Heh, if PS3 was the first player to support bd 1.1, then maybe sony wanted it that way so if you wanted to use the extra features you'd have to buy a PS3. Sounds just like something sony would do. Good marketing for them, bad for us. Either way, doesn't matter to me cause I bought a PS3 soon as I saw it available on bestbuy.com

Heh, if PS3 was the first player to support bd 1.1, then maybe sony wanted it that way so if you wanted to use the extra features you'd have to buy a PS3. Sounds just like something sony would do. Good marketing for them, bad for us. Either way, doesn't matter to me cause I bought a PS3 soon as I saw it available on bestbuy.com

PS3 and 360 is both a good choice. As it becomes more apparent that BD is kicking HD-DVD all over the place it looks like MS made the right decision to release early and be able to release either drive as add-on.

To quote Mark Mcguire "I am not here to talk about the past"

I waited along time. I very nearly jumped to the oher side in November with the sub $100 sales but I would up with an early morning meeting that prevented me from shopping.

In the end thought e arners announcement and sales figures convinced me that BD was the foramt that was more likly to prevail. So i bought a PS3 because it was upgradeable.

Ironically I have the opposite viewpoint from one of the mods around here. I was a bit turned off by the excesses of both sides on thee forums but found the attempts at spin by the redheads a bit worse (although some people on that side made VERY good arguments for that format).

In the end togh I put the arguments about tactics in a forum aside and went with the format ah seemed to be winning since I did not want to wind up on the losing side ofa format war.

I was one of the nut jobs on line when PS3 came out. I didn't even know it was a Blu Ray player. I thought it was just another video game machine.
After having it for a while, you've found out that it has much better software support as a Blu-ray player than it does as a gaming console, no?

I do not even use mine for gaming---though mys on does. It si there to play movies.

I originally bought the hd-a2 player when it was on sale at wal-mart for 99 bucks. I couldnt pass that up. And i figured since hd dvd is basically the same camp as the dvd we have come to know and love they will win because they are more well known. Well, after the holidays and seeing things swinging to the blu-ray side i bought a ps3, because i was wanting a high def game system and it had blu ray so i figured i may as well future proff myself. Even though i was pulling for hd dvd to win, im not upset by any means that it looks like blu is it. Im just sorta glad its almost over.

As I don't see Blu-ray ever consolidating on a comprehensive feature set that allows the movie houses to shoot for the stars on special features and not miss anyone, I chose HD DVD.

They not only have a comprehensive feature set but they also published their path to get there BEFORE the first BD player was sold. They stated that they would start with 1.0 migrate to 1.1 by October 31, 2007 and then would migrate the the final feature set 2.0 by Xmas 2008. Maybe you missed the e-mail?

was this forum a factor? If so how? Are you happy with the decision?
When the Star Trek Season One Remastered collection was announced for HD-DVD only, combined with the low price of HD-DVD HW, I figured I'd give it a shot, even though I had been forecasting BD to be the eventual winner from the start. At those prices, it wouldn't hurt to enjoy an HDM format for a while, plus an upconverting DVD player. ( I was right about when a clear winner would be evident, as well.)

As for this forum...The only thing I could see a bunch of idiots arguing about the superiority of a technical spec as if it was a member of their family, would be to scare people away from either format.

They not only have a comprehensive feature set but they also published their path to get there BEFORE the first BD player was sold. They stated that they would start with 1.0 migrate to 1.1 by October 31, 2007 and then would migrate the the final feature set 2.0 by Xmas 2008. Maybe you missed the e-mail?

Although I'm glad I've future proofed myself by going with a PS3, I'm one of those that really don't care about profile this or that. I watch the movie, and if I really like it, then and only then will I extend my enjoyment by watching some deleted scenes, a gag reel, and a couple 10-15 min. "making of" featurettes. Call me old fashioned, but I'd rather not have the movie interrupted with "in movie" bonus material or commentary, or be directed to some online content laden with a bunch of promotions and ads.

I just wish the damn PS3 could bookmark the spot I had to stop watching the movie. Even a $30 DVD player has that capability!

I was waiting for one to make at claim at the top spot. I was sure it would be BD until Paramount switched last year, so I waited a little longer. Once it appeared to me that BD would maintain their lead, I decided to take the plunge. Also, most of the movies I enjoy had already supported BD.

I disagree. While BD may have greater capacity possibilities, it isn't a comprehensive standard yet and if you don't have an PS3, you may not be able to take advantage of all it eventually has to offer. Alternatively, the possibilities may exist but the software will be restricted to some lesser standard due to a lack of compatible players.

A standard is no good if nobody sees a reason implement it correctly.

So, let's say a couple of years from now there are 15M+ Blu-Ray players out there (or 10M, whatever, pick a number). Based on current figures, let's say no more than 500k-1M are profile 1.1 or lower. You really think no one's going to develop special features just because a small percentage won't be able to access them (keeping in mind that that small percentage will still be able to actually WATCH THE MOVIE)?

I didn't get in line right away, but I had one before the end of January last year.... that was it for me, too - bought it for the games. Didn't even start buying BD's right away, because I didn't see enough reason to with my old TV. As soon as I got my new set, though, it was like a whole new world opened up to me.... :)

Then, I also jumped into HD-DVD because of the $98 sale and the free movies.

After having it for a while, you've found out that it has much better software support as a Blu-ray player than it does as a gaming console, no?

Nope. 6-8 months ago, maybe, but not anymore.

(keeping in mind that that small percentage will still be able to actually WATCH THE MOVIE)?

And that's all that many of us will ever want anyways. My requirements for bonus materials have yet to exceed what SD DVD can provide at this point. (I particularly applauded the approach of Super Bit DVDs which used all the available space on the disc for enhanced PQ/AQ.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts