What New Features Could A New Guide Have?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

CSM

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 28, 2015
Chesterfield, MO
Could they revamp the guide so that the reboot process is faster? Maybe have it work more with the UVerse Modems Ethernet connection? Doesn't the current boxes only work with the wired connection through the CCK? Also maybe voice control?

Could they revamp the guide so that the reboot process is faster? Maybe have it work more with the UVerse Modems Ethernet connection? Doesn't the current boxes only work with the wired connection through the CCK? Also maybe voice control?
Could they ?
Sure, with newer processors.
Have them work with U Verse modems, current ones can't obviously, the next generation has talked about being able to handle D* and U Verse TV from the start, not sure about the Modem, but it would make sense seeing the current U Verse gateways handle the modem and TV.

They could and probably will redesign the guide if the two boxes are merged.
As for features, D* has had a miserable time with features, they have added a bunch awhile back and it is a primary reason why alot of boxes have slowed down ....

Fix the issues they already have before adding more stuff to the boxes.

Could they ?
Sure, with newer processors.
Have them work with U Verse modems, current ones can't obviously, the next generation has talked about being able to handle D* and U Verse TV from the start, not sure about the Modem, but it would make sense seeing the current U Verse gateways handle the modem and TV.

They could and probably will redesign the guide if the two boxes are merged.
As for features, D* has had a miserable time with features, they have added a bunch awhile back and it is a primary reason why alot of boxes have slowed down ....

Fix the issues they already have before adding more stuff to the boxes.
They can work with the UVerse Modems just using Internet with WIFI only.

guide is fine as it is
dont add internet to the mix
remember many people with sat do not have access to internet

It's too bad you can't sort channels by your own preferences
Have you made a Custom list for your channels, this way you'll only see the channels You want.
Are you referring to using the Search function, if so, yes, it would be nice if it only showed channels you get when searching.

I'd like to see:

1) A guide that takes advantage of the extra screen real estate that comes with an HD interface by showing more guide data. DirecTV's EPG shows 6 channels (when an ad isn't in the way) with an hour and a half worth of programming. Dish's guide shows 3 hours over I'm not sure how many channels, and on Time Warner I see 2 and a half hours on 7 channels.

2) Removal of the ads for PPV movies, free previews, new shows and series premiers in the guide.

3) Better On Demand user interface. There's no reason for hundreds of channels of On Demand, some of which only have a small handful of content. A centralized On Demand Portal would be better IMO. And if I accidentally wind up on and On Demand channel, how retarded is it that you can't advance to the next channel or go back by you know hitting the channel up and down buttons? Using the REW and FFW buttons is just dumb.

4) A 'Channels that I get' favorite list that includes, you know, only channels that I get would be nice.

I'd like to see:

1) A guide that takes advantage of the extra screen real estate that comes with an HD interface by showing more guide data. DirecTV's EPG shows 6 channels (when an ad isn't in the way) with an hour and a half worth of programming. Dish's guide shows 3 hours over I'm not sure how many channels, and on Time Warner I see 2 and a half hours on 7 channels.

2) Removal of the ads for PPV movies, free previews, new shows and series premiers in the guide.

3) Better On Demand user interface. There's no reason for hundreds of channels of On Demand, some of which only have a small handful of content. A centralized On Demand Portal would be better IMO. And if I accidentally wind up on and On Demand channel, how retarded is it that you can't advance to the next channel or go back by you know hitting the channel up and down buttons? Using the REW and FFW buttons is just dumb.

4) A 'Channels that I get' favorite list that includes, you know, only channels that I get would be nice.

2) Has anyone noticed that a major amount of the in guide ads are gone (not talking PPV's), there are still some, but way less than before.

3) Hundreds of On Demand channels .... Well, if your able to access each channels OD that have them, your gonna have a whole lot of OD Channels.

I like the fact that almost every channel I watch has an OD channel, nice for catching up on missed programs ...
What I DON'T like about it is they don't necessarily show all of the OD shows, for example if I am watching my favorite show and were in say week 10, they will have OD for it, but it could be episodes 1,2 7 and 10, wheres the rest ?

I don't use the Search feature very often, but it would be nice for it to find shows ONLY on channels I have in my package.

2) Has anyone noticed that a major amount of the in guide ads are gone (not talking PPV's), there are still some, but way less than before.

No, I haven't noticed that. Right now in my guide I have 16. That's with all PPV channels, and channels I don't subscribe to hidden.

1) In between 212 and 213, for MLB EI Free Preview
2) In between 236 and 237, for Patty Stanger is Moving on WE
3) In between 264 and 265, for Murder Made Me Famous on Reelz
4) In between 271 and 272, for Into The Forest on PPV
5) In between 278 and 279, for Mysteries at the Museum on Travel
6) In between 291 and 292, for DirecTV Kids On Demand
7) In between 311 and 312, for HBO
8) In between 328 and 329, for Greenleaf on OWN
9) In between 355 and 356, for Cinemax
10) In between 491 and 501, for Ballers on HBO
11) In between 491 and 501, for Miracles From Heaven on PPV
12) In between 511 and 515, for Kingsman on Cinemax
13) In between 523 and 525, for Power on Starz
14) In between 531 and 535, for The Equalizer on Starz Encore
15) In between 542 and 545, for Roadies on Showtime
16) In between 719 and 720, for MLB EI Free Preview, again

3) Hundreds of On Demand channels .... Well, if your able to access each channels OD that have them, your gonna have a whole lot of OD Channels.

I like the fact that almost every channel I watch has an OD channel, nice for catching up on missed programs ...

I don't understand what you're getting at. I have no problem with the existence of On Demand. I have a problem with the way it's presented on DirecTV

There's no need for each linear channel to have it's own dedicated On Demand channel, when a generic Portal or a handful of On Demand channels broken up into browse-able sub categories would suffice. On my cable line up, channel 1000 is a Portal for all OD content, where you can browse by originating network, genre or do a search. There is no dedicated AMC On Demand, or CBS On Demand, everything can be accessed from channel 1000. There are a few themed On Demand channels like Kids OD with content from Nick, PBS Kids, etc and Music OD with content from GAC, Music Choice, etc, but that content can be accessed from the Portal as well.

No, I haven't noticed that. Right now in my guide I have 16. That's with all PPV channels, and channels I don't subscribe to hidden.

1) In between 212 and 213, for MLB EI Free Preview
2) In between 236 and 237, for Patty Stanger is Moving on WE
3) In between 264 and 265, for Murder Made Me Famous on Reelz
4) In between 271 and 272, for Into The Forest on PPV
5) In between 278 and 279, for Mysteries at the Museum on Travel
6) In between 291 and 292, for DirecTV Kids On Demand
7) In between 311 and 312, for HBO
8) In between 328 and 329, for Greenleaf on OWN
9) In between 355 and 356, for Cinemax
10) In between 491 and 501, for Ballers on HBO
11) In between 491 and 501, for Miracles From Heaven on PPV
12) In between 511 and 515, for Kingsman on Cinemax
13) In between 523 and 525, for Power on Starz
14) In between 531 and 535, for The Equalizer on Starz Encore
15) In between 542 and 545, for Roadies on Showtime
16) In between 719 and 720, for MLB EI Free Preview, again

I don't understand what you're getting at. I have no problem with the existence of On Demand. I have a problem with the way it's presented on DirecTV

There's no need for each linear channel to have it's own dedicated On Demand channel, when a generic Portal or a handful of On Demand channels broken up into browse-able sub categories would suffice. On my cable line up, channel 1000 is a Portal for all OD content, where you can browse by originating network, genre or do a search. There is no dedicated AMC On Demand, or CBS On Demand, everything can be accessed from channel 1000. There are a few themed On Demand channels like Kids OD with content from Nick, PBS Kids, etc and Music OD with content from GAC, Music Choice, etc, but that content can be accessed from the Portal as well.
You can do the same with channel 1000 on D*, they just offer you an option of going directly to the channels OD you want ... i see no problem with that.

Ads not nearly as many as there use to be, there use to be 2 or 3 in the 206-220 section and at least 2 in the 241 to 250 and more above that.

Most of my viewing is between 206 and 265, thers 3, I can deal with that.
I really don't care about the others if I never see them because I don't go in those areas.

It is currently bloated with hundreds of upgrades, many with bad code.

You will get speed again by starting anew.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Retention offers are worse.

On Demand Not Working

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)