What stadium no longer around would you have liked to have seen a MLB game in?

Terrific thread. Not even being a NY sports fan, have to say the Polo Grounds. Can't leave Tiger stadium off that list either.

I relatively routinely go to games in what may be the worst baseball venue, Raymond James in St. Petersburg, (Tampa) and of course one of the best Fenway Park. A good game is a good game, but walking to my seat in Tampa is nothing special, it's just there. Walking to my seat in Fenway is an experience, walking up the walkway to field level, seeing the Wall, being so close to the action, knowing the greats from not just the Red Sox but all the other teams that came played right there. Wrigley Field is the same, except to me it needs work and refreshing.

Candlestick Park, where Willie Mays made baseball's first "highlight film" catch. There'll never be another catch like it because current major league ballpark restrictions don't permit 480 foot outfield fences.

That wasn't Candlestick; that was the Polo Grounds.

...besides, that has to be one of the most overrated catches in history (just as the Fisk HR is one of the most overrated HRs in history). Sure it was good, but I can think of hundreds of catches in modern time that all top that one. I'll even put Blanco's catch to save Cain's no hitter way above the Mays catch.

I would have LOVED to have gone to County Stadium in Milwaukee (preferably for a Twins/Brewers game)....just to be able to tailgate in the huge parking lot. I've been to Miller Park and while its nice it would have been cool to have gone to the old stadium

As for the "way long gone" (like long before I was born) I would have liked to see a game in Crosley, Forbes or Shibe Park

Polo Grounds get a nod just to see how oddball shaped that was.

Milwaukee's County Stadium was the best I had EVER seen when it comes to whisking away traffic after games.

I LOVED old Tiger Stadium and Old Comiskey Park.

I would love to have seen an extra inning night game at Candlestick. I once saw a 22 inning Dodgers/Astros game at the Dome, but I think even ten innings at Candlestick would have been a better story.

I would love to have seen an extra inning night game at Candlestick. I once saw a 22 inning Dodgers/Astros game at the Dome, but I think even ten innings at Candlestick would have been a better story.
One of the best extra inning games in Candlestick occurred between the Dodgers and Giants in 1987. The game did not end until 1am and I remember staying up to watch the whole thing before having to get up early the next morning to go to school (I was a junior in High School)

Marshall's 'Take-That' Homer Defeats the Giants in 10th, 11-8 - Los Angeles Times

One of the best extra inning games in Candlestick occurred between the Dodgers and Giants in 1987. The game did not end until 1am and I remember staying up to watch the whole thing before having to get up early the next morning to go to school (I was a junior in High School)

I am a night owl, so I loved it when the Astros were in the NL West. I loved watching games at Candlestick because it would be June or July and ridiculously hot in Texas, and people there would be bundled up and still look just miserably cold. Add to that the adventure of every pop up, and you've got good viewing.

I mentioned an extra inning game because I've heard that they gave pins out to any fan who was still around when an extra inning game ended.

Marshall's 'Take-That' Homer Defeats the Giants in 10th, 11-8 - Los Angeles Times

This reminded me of a double-header game I attended in 1988 at Candlestick vs. the Dodgers. I stayed 'til the bitter end and it was an amazing night. I found this story that tells it pretty well. The point I recall the most was the fact they threw up a chain link fence in the left field bleachers which really ruined a great Candlestick tradition.

From The Bleachers: The Riot

For parks I'd like to have seen...Tiger's Stadium is #1. I remember how majestic the place looked on NBC's Saturday morning games.

This reminded me of a double-header game I attended in 1988 at Candlestick vs. the Dodgers. I stayed 'til the bitter end and it was an amazing night. I found this story that tells it pretty well. The point I recall the most was the fact they threw up a chain link fence in the left field bleachers which really ruined a great Candlestick tradition.

From The Bleachers: The Riot

For parks I'd like to have seen...Tiger's Stadium is #1. I remember how majestic the place looked on NBC's Saturday morning games.
NY and Boston ain't got notin' on that old Giants Dodgers rivalry from 25+ years ago.

Parks I have been to:

Wrigley
Riverfront Stadium
Great American Ballpark
Astrodome
Minute Maid Park
New Busch Stadium

Montreal Olympic Stadium... ooops sorry, The Big O is still there, its just that MLB and Bud stole the team from us. To this day, am surprised Bud, Loria (and mini-me) and John henry were never brought up on racketeering charges.

Cheers, K

In order:

Ebbets Field
Yankee Stadium
Polo Grounds (3)
Comiskey (which I did see but was unable to get in)
Tiger Stadium

The Astrodome and the Kingdome and the old Tiger Stadium. I remember Jerry Remy talking about the old Tiger Stadium once during a game and how bad it was but I still would love to have watched a game in it

Kraven said:
Montreal Olympic Stadium... ooops sorry, The Big O is still there, its just that MLB and Bud stole the team from us. To this day, am surprised Bud, Loria (and mini-me) and John henry were never brought up on racketeering charges.

Cheers, K

+1.

For me, it is probably County Stadium in Milwaukee. I got to see the other one (Olympic Stadium) in October 2010 without the Expos being there. :(

In the current day, I'd DEFINITELY go to PNC Park. I'd also like to see Citi Field.

I've been to Fulton County Stadium, Turner Field, Oriole Park at Camden Yards (excellent), Old Yankee Stadium and Fenway Park.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts