What universal remote do you like??

A properly set up more advanced remote has no need for a help button.

It does if the end users are my folks...

The ability for the remote to walk them through the different components until everything is way the want is main purpose of the help button.

What happens with a non-smart remote when, for example, the DVD player doesn't turn on? (I serously want to know, I am not being sarcastic).

Actually, you do need a computer to program Harmony remotes. Even to learn IR commands from another remote.

So, for those who don't have or don't want to use a computer, Harmony is not a good choice. But if you do have a computer around, the progamming is very straightforward. And you can use the same mini-USB cable that is used for many cellphones and other devices.

But don't be mislead by simplicity of the Harmony's programming! It indeed hides all the complexity and makes programming accessible for many, but you can still go under the hood, if you want to, and remap the buttons, learn new IR commands, including in raw-mode, etc.

What happens with a non-smart remote when, for example, the DVD player doesn't turn on? (I serously want to know, I am not being sarcastic).

You don't play 20 questions, you just simply press the button that executes that macro again, or in the case of the MX-500 you can also press the device power button, or program and label a button on the lcd for power etc.

My main problem with Harmony isn't their activity based gimmick, it's their build quality vs the price they charge.

NightRyder

Actually, you do need a computer to program Harmony remotes. Even to learn IR commands from another remote.

I stand corrected. I guess I was remembering what I did for the MX-350. But I did reprogram a couple of buttons on my 880 to different functions. I just don't remember using the PC to do it.

You don't play 20 questions,
Two-three questions is usually all it takes. I don't remember going beyond 5 or 6 questions ever! ;)
And as I said, this is only needed in very rare cases when things really get out of sync and components don't have discrete codes. In such situations your MX-500 macro would fail too.

... you just simply press the button that executes that macro again...
Everything works great (with any programmable remote) when your components have discrete codes. When there is a separate command to turn the componet on, a separate command to turn it off, and a separate IR command, say, to go to input 7. But what if you have some components in your setup that have only toggle commands?

Sometimes you can find a workaround (perhaps pressing the play button can wakeup your DVD player, etc.), but not always. What if you have one of those Toshiba TV sets that doesn't have discrete codes for video input selection, and you have to toggle through all inputs? How do you program a macro that takes you, say, to input 5, if your remote doesn't know what input you are presently on?

My main problem with Harmony isn't their activity based gimmick, it's their build quality vs the price they charge.

You call it "gimmick", I call it "convenience", or in certain cases even "necessity". As for build quality, I can agree, it's pretty average. I've never broken a remote, but I wouldn't drop it on concrete floor or let the dog chew it. :D

How do you program a macro that takes you, say, to input 5, if your remote doesn't know what input you are presently on?
I was able to do this on my old Mitsubishi TV (my new one has discrete input selects) by:

(1) Sending Channel-Up. This forced the TV to the Antenna Input.
(2) Once you know yourself to be on Antenna Input, it's just a counting game to figure out how many "Next Input" commands to send until you hit the input you really want.

Yes, it's somewhat of a kludge, but it worked very reliably on that old set that didn't support discrete input select.

You'd probably be appalled at the macro I came up with to reliably get my old Yamaha receiver into exactly the mode I wanted it to watch HDDVDs! This is just the receiver-specific portion of the macro:

(1) select receiver
(2) discrete power on
(3) input = cd
(4) discrete power off
(5) discrete power on
(6) input = dvd/ld
(7) signal processor = movie theater
(8) volume up

That extra power cycle is used to force the receiver out of DTS mode, had that been previously manually selected. Sticking in that bogus switch to "input = cd" is used to keep me from ever inadvertently sending "input = dvd/ld" twice in a row, because selecting the same input twice forces the mode to DTS on this receiver. That entire weird sounding sequence was required to reliably get the receiver into "mode = auto" for accurate DD/DTS/analog detection. The extra volume up command at the end was to force it out of mute mode in case that had been previously selected (mute is a toggle, not a discrete on this receiver).

NightRyder

I would agree with you whole-heartedly if I paid full retail for one. The retail prices are really inflated vs. what they sell for on the web. I have never paid more than $100 with shipping for one, and most i have bought were around $80 shipped.

I avoid equipment without discretes whenever possible. There's quite a few workarounds too.

For example, many TV's allow you to press Input and then the desired number to change the input. I've seen this on all the Toshibas. Bingo, quick discrete input change.

You can get a DVD player with discretes for under $50. But most DVD players will turn on if "play" is pressed, so play-power can be used to turn them off.

URC has remotes with variables that are much more powerful than any of Harmony's state tracking, but I try to avoid using those too. Becuase inevitably someone will change it manually through the set, or a code will fail to be received by the set, and then the user will have to use some kind of help menu, which is not desirable in the slighest.

im currently looking for a new remote, the harmonies wont cut it.
So it looks like i need a mx variety of remote.
It needs to have 12+ activities and 30 device support color screen would be a +.
Id like it to be a 1 hand remote rather than 2
so ive parused the mx line of remote, would the mx 980 meets my needs of activites and devices? I listed in activites and devices as im familar with the harmony line of remotes.
any help is greatly appreciated
thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts