What will this dish do?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DirectDishNet

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 25, 2007
Davenport Iowa
I'm looking for an inexpensive dish that I can aim at 93.1 Galaxy 25 for the Azteca channels. I noticed that 11984 V tp 15 is very strong. Would this dish be able to lock that transponder? Would like to use the smallest dish possible as this will be a second dish at a condo. The second dish will be sitting next to a 90cm dish. The smaller the better.

SAP45 Eagle Aspen
20" Portable Antenna Dish Kit

I'm looking for an inexpensive dish that I can aim at 93.1 Galaxy 25 for the Azteca channels. I noticed that 11984 V tp 15 is very strong. Would this dish be able to lock that transponder? Would like to use the smallest dish possible as this will be a second dish at a condo. The second dish will be sitting next to a 90cm dish. The smaller the better.

2nd question: If I order this dish, It will look like the one in the pic? with the linear lnb holder? I hope so, I do not need a dish 300/500... Have tons of those already.

SAP45 Eagle Aspen
20" Portable Antenna Dish Kit

I had no problem locking and viewing the Azteca mux, WELL above threshold, with an 18" Dish 300.

As far as that LNB holder is concerned:

Kit includes:
  • 20" Dish reflector
  • 25mm LNBF holder
  • Az/El back bracket.

I believe SatAv is selling a dual linear LNBF that will bolt right up to a Dish 300 or 500, and Sadoun may have something similar?

I used one of those cheapy eBay adjustable LNBF holders and just screwed it to the Dish 300 arm.

Dish 300 + DMX521 linear + SG 2100 motor combo - SatelliteGuys.US

The words in the advertizement don't say, but the pictures imply, that the LNB holder has a removable insert to -also- take a 25mm neck LNB.
Might want to get Sadoun to comment on this. (probably takes common 40mm, without insert)
So, I'd consider using any of the popular LNBs, either single output or dual output, as you like.

edit:
Doesn't look like skew will be a problem, because any LNB in that holder can be twisted as required.

It looks like the LNB holder will accept the 40mm LNB but check with Sadoun first

edit: anole beat me to it

I believe SatAv is selling a dual linear LNBF that will bolt right up to a Dish 300 or 500, and Sadoun may have something similar?

If it's the one I'm thinking of, it fits a rectangular tube such as a DirecTV dish. I don't know whether it would be an easy fit to a D-shaped tube such as Dish uses or not. At least the Dish 300 uses a D-tube, I'm not sure about the 500. But also keep in mind that the Dish 300 doesn't have a skew adjustment, so unless the satellite is near your meridian you're out of luck.

for the OP, 93W is near true south....In Minneapolis 93W is true south satellite

For Davenport/Quad Cities its 91W

Correct, the LNBF fits a standard rectangular tube. I have mounted on a D-tube with a few moments of snipping with a pair of cutters.

May I lobby for placing GEOSATpro DSR100c / 200c receivers for your project? The model has one of the lowest threshold levels of any receiver that we have tested. Easy to set-up, very reliable and very customer friendly!!!

How is that for an advertising placement? Sorry, I will apologize to everyone in advance! So out of character for me!

As I remarked in another recent thread, I have a Dish 300 mount & arm in one hand, and a DirecTV LNBF in the other.
They fit together without effort, so I expect the GeoSat would fit as well.
The lack of dish-skew on the 300 as discussed above, makes this pairing unsuitable.
Likewise, the Dish 500 in a poor choice unless you fabricate an appropriate LNB mount.

Use of any too-small dish is a questionable decision.
But it should be made with regards to the strength of desired transponders, as well as expected rain interruption to the signal.
I hope the desire to hide the dish does not compromise service for the customer.
In the desert-like environment where I live, it would not be a concern. ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts