Whats the deal with the program guide? (and other stuff).

dankgus

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 3, 2004
Can anybody clear things up for me?

Today at about 5:00pm I will have had Voom for 1 week. When the installer showed me the basics he told me that after I turn on the Voom box the program guide will take about 1 full day to fill itself in. He said little bits of the guide are broadcast with the TV signal and the box builds the guide. Sounded good to me. Note: I was not yet upgraded to V 6.10 software.

I later read somewhere on the internet that it should only take 45 min for the guide to fill in.

Throughout the week I had the box lock up 1 time, I unplugged it and upon powering up the guide was again empty. That was at 6am, the guide was not complete until 9pm. I upgraded to v 6.10 after this and so far no more lockups. Can anybody clarify the details on the program guide?

Also, yesterday I decided to put the STB in sleep mode all night, just to see if it cooled down overnight, I like things to run cool when possible. This morning when I woke up the box, I had only a black TV screen, so I rebooted it by holding the button in for about 5-8 seconds. Again the guide is gone, hopefully when I get home from work it will be there again. Should I just leave the box on all night every day?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
--Dan

barth2k

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 14, 2004
I don't know why it should take so long. when i had d*, it took the receiver only a minute or two to start filling in guide info after a hard reset. I don't know how long the full guide takes to download, but the guide has like a whole week worth of data, not just a day or two. and d* of course has a lot more channels.

DarrellP

I Think, therefore, I am.
Supporting Founder
Nov 6, 2003
Salem, OR
This is heaven compared to the Dish 6000, that stb pisses me off to no end! I can go out about 6 hours, filling the data in, then if I cancel and go back to the show, 5 minutes later, all the info is gone again and only current and next show display. It takes about 4 minutes waiting in the guide for it to fill in the next 4 hours, so I am very happy with the Voom 3 day guide (when it actually goes that far).

Dvlos

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 5, 2004
Voom's guide is pretty slick, but unless you have some sort of problem with the LNB, coax cabling, or signal strength I get all the channel headers in about 5 minutes, with a day's worth of program information in about 20-30 minutes.

However when I had problems with the hardware it would take hours and hours for the STBs to have all the information.

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
SatelliteGuystonfieldville, U.S.A.
Dvlos said:
Voom's guide is pretty slick, but unless you have some sort of problem with the LNB, coax cabling, or signal strength I get all the channel headers in about 5 minutes, with a day's worth of program information in about 20-30 minutes.

However when I had problems with the hardware it would take hours and hours for the STBs to have all the information.

I noticed this too! It's a great way to check for hardware and wiring problems! Perhaps this should be in the Post Installation and Troubleshooting FAQ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)