What's the right rig for Cirius & 18 wheeler?

redbeard

Original poster
Oct 8, 2004
Scotch Plains, NJ
Hi, Thanks for taking my call...

I'm planning on signing up with Sirius but I'm a bit confused as to what the correct equipment would be for my application.

I drive a car-hauler and need to get the right antenna and so forth.

My parameters include:
1. Side-mounted antenna (cars above my head will impede signal from windshield, roof, etc..) that can take massive abuse from vibration and weather. Also, height is a consideration; I'd like something short - no more than say one foot tall if not flexible.

2. I have a Sony CDX-MP70 which, incidentally is XM ready but I want Sirius. I believe I have another 'port' listed as "AUX" that i could plug something into.. [from the above cruchfield site:] Stereo RCA preamp inputs are hardwired to the back of the unit on a 9" lead, allowing you to connect a portable audio source

3. I don't want to go over the top in gizmos but I'd hate to get a unit I'd want to upgrade in 6 months.

Do I need a tuner? would the $99.00 deal that Sirius is offering work for me or do i need something more/different?

The cab of my truck has many mounting opportunities but being able to take it (the radio) elsewhere, like home or my car would be attractive but not key.

Thanks all for any pointers you can provide. I'm getting real psyched to get hooked-up. I suppose the recent Howard Stern announcement has me jumping on the band-wagon. Might-As-Well.

If you use promo code 161 you can get the plug n play (PNP) unit with a car kit for $49.

The antenna is magnetic on the bottom, and as long as you can get a clear view of the sky (talking about locations on the outside of your truck) then you will be okay. The car kits have an audio out port to hook up an RCA plug to that aux input line on your radio.

The PNP you can take inside your house (provided you get a home kit) or another car (again with another car kit unless you take the one out of your truck) quite easily.

Redbeard,

Sirius has a selection of antennas that will fit your needs. Go HERE
to shop away. Also you might want to check out pretty much any truck stop along the Interstates. The Sirius Streamer made by Brix is a popular plug and play tuner for our much needed road warriors.

The Brix Streamer Pro Car kit comes with a mounting plate that you can easily connect to one of your side mirrors. It's designed with professional drivers like yourself in mind.

Then you could connect the kit to your AUX in and be golden!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts