When will Dish ad the CW-HD to the Houston area?

jlaavenger

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 12, 2005
When will Dish add the CW-HD to the Houston area? It's broadcast in HD now so why doesn't Dish provide it? Or do they?

Or if you live in some areas (like mine), "when will Dish add my CW station at all (which btw was not even available until 2 weeks ago)." :) Thank God for the superstation package!!!

IF you look on the 61.5 sat on the echostarknowledge website it is there in HD on channel 5068 but they haven't turned it on yet. I guess it will be available on the eastern arc service when it launches next month.

www.ekb.dbstalk.com/61-5list.com When you go to this site it will show error, but select the echostarknowledge base site or home page, and then scroll down till you see the satellites and select 61.5 list.

Plenty of ways, but the big question is "Will they?". Dish need room for the channel on the sat. Dish need retransmition concent to supply it. Dish needs signal set up to uplink it the the sat. There may be more factors involved, Dish can't just add the channel.

No error at EKB: Dish Network Channels at 61.5°, there's also EKB: Dish HD Locals . What I don't get is why a market that's already on a spot beam at 110° would be moved to a spot beam on 61.5° which will require installing another dish.

Because they are moving to the EASTERN ARC service for over half of the country. It will use 61.5 , 72.7 and 77 sat slots. You will soon need a 1000.4 sat dish . It is starting next month and all programming you can receive now will be in mpeg 4 . So Eventually you won't need 110 and 119 any longer for the main service. Somtimes next year there will be the western arc using 129 and I imagine 110 and 119 once they move everyone to mpeg 4 receivers. The picture quality is supposed to be much better on sd and hd.

For those who do not have HD but want the channel?

I think the point is, once everyone is on MPEG4, why not just have everyone's receiver use the same (HD) channel and then display at the appropriate resolution. For HD customers, it gets output as HD. For those who only have SD service, just display a down-scaled version of the HD version. This is not doable now, because the SD versions are all legacy MPEG2. Once everything is MPEG4, this wouldn't be an issue anymore.

I think the point is, once everyone is on MPEG4, why not just have everyone's receiver use the same (HD) channel and then display at the appropriate resolution. For HD customers, it gets output as HD. For those who only have SD service, just display a down-scaled version of the HD version. This is not doable now, because the SD versions are all legacy MPEG2. Once everything is MPEG4, this wouldn't be an issue anymore.

With over 14 million subscribers (many with more than one receiver), plus the added expense of switching out all the receivers already available, it will take many, many years before anyone sees this happening.

I am not sure I understand this... I have the CW in HD and I am in Houston.

I have all CBS, FOX, NBC, ABC and CW all in HD on my 622. You don't?

the local CW affiliate in Jackson, MS currently has no digital signal. the station did not exist at the time the FCC gave out the digital licenses, and therefore the station did not get one. however they will have clearance to go digital when the changeover happens, that clearance will not go into effect until the day before the changeover.

We are talking about the HD channel being supplied by Dish, not OTA.

If you get OTA on your Dish receiver, the channels are a different color and of course I forget what. (No OTA for me.. :()

Just a note here that CW11 New York (WPIX) has recently been uplinked for the NYC DMA only. NOT AVAILABLE. This might be a start for some DMA's to get it and I beleive there are a couple others already uplinked as well.

A few DMA's do get MNT and PBS as well but most are looking at the "Big 4". It will be a great day when Dish thinks more about lighting up the "Essential 7". :)
CBS, ABC, NBC, MNT, CW, PBS and Fox.

That will be a nice day.

Our local affiliate for CW has had HD via QAM for years...I can honestly say I have never watched it even though I pass it on the "dial" all the time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)