Where can I get a Pole to mount a dish?

bamalin

Original poster
Nov 28, 2005
Rural Alabama
I am looking to upgrade to HD when DirecTV starts here in April and I think I need a pole to put the multisat on. Right now I have my old dish on the soffit of the roof so I am thinking to change that. Where can I get a pole, preferably here in the BHAM area?

Install sch40 galvanized steel below the frost line , with proper drainage (ask for a DIY guide if you have never done one) - Lowes, Home Depot, plumbing supply or sprinkler/irrigation supply.

Also make sure you take a sledge hammer and beat the end that is going in the ground flat(well not totally flat). That will help a lot.

dougruss said:
Could also drill a 3/8 hole all the way thru near the bottom of the pole
and put a 4" long Bolt -washer/nut on it. Keeps the pole from turning over time!

What I do is use self tapping screws at the bottom. I will put 3 rows of 3 and have had good luck with them.

good lord, go get a QUALITY pressure treated 4X4 from lowes. 4x4x6, two 80# bags of sacrete ready mix. dig a hole 12" around , 24 " deep , make sure the post is level and plumb.

steel posts my butt.

dragon002 said:
good lord, go get a QUALITY pressure treated 4X4 from lowes. 4x4x6, two 80# bags of sacrete ready mix. dig a hole 12" around , 24 " deep , make sure the post is level and plumb.

steel posts my butt.

I'm in MN we have to go over 3.5 feet deep. because of frost line

Last edited:
If you want Pictures................

bamalin said:
I am looking to upgrade to HD when DirecTV starts here in April and I think I need a pole to put the multisat on. Right now I have my old dish on the soffit of the roof so I am thinking to change that. Where can I get a pole, preferably here in the BHAM area?

From my avatar you can see that, I had the same problem. I solved it with composite posts, from a store up here named "Fleet & Farm". They are posts made of ground up cars, yep, they grind up cars and mix the pieces with some kind of rubber stuff. They are made in Canada, so, I think they know something about cold weather. We live in the snow belt, so I wanted to have something that wouldn't warp or twist in the coldest part of the winter. This has been it. They are from < www.xpotentialproducts.com >
I used the 8 foot posts, they are 6" X 6", and I put them in the ground almost 4 feet, for the frost around here. I dug a hole about 18" across too. I wanted no heaving and twisting. Filled it with concrete and got 'r done

dragon002 said:
what is too light, 4x4 or muffler tubing?

The muffler pipe is to light, too thin walled...... but don't use wood because sun and water cause warp-age and will slowly pull the dish out of alignment and post out of plumb/level.

volkodav said:
there is nothing wrong with wood posts ( job security for techs :devil: )

Their might not be anything wrong for a couple of years but over time the steel will last longer, and as I said before it looks much cleaner when you use a steel post over a wood.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)