Where is VOOM's future going to be?

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
What do you think? Please discuss only future possibilities not the news that just came out.

Hi:
When you say someone will buy VOOM does that mean the existing box will continue to work and the VOOM exclusives and program guide that includes the OTA will continue to be sent to the box?

First off, I want to say from where I sit VOOM is NOT dead.

There will be some changes at VOOM and maybe even a name change however VOOM will continue to exist in one form or another.

Again I will say I do NOT see Echostar buying out VOOM. I know I am one of the few saying that, but I feel that Echostar has its own plans and they can get them done without VOOM.

Whatever happens to VOOM, I am going to sit back and watch and enjoy all the HDTV VOOM gives me today.

So if the satellite and equipment is sold by cablevison and used by another provider for their own service is that selling VOOM or folding VOOM?

I voted for Microsoft, not that I think it will happen, but that it would be the best thing to keep my HDTV rolling!!! People seem to confuse the lines reagrding VOOM problems as a company vs the product they put out.

I love HDTV. I still get the WOW factor watching the VOOM exclusives. Even though VOOM costs about $20 more than my cable, that's a small price to pay. Yes, there is still room for improvement on the quality/quantity scene, but hey - consider the alternatives... Remember folks, it's just TV...

Scott Greczkowski said:
Whatever happens to VOOM, I am going to sit back and watch and enjoy all the HDTV VOOM gives me today.

AMEN Brother! I really don't care who I send the checks to as long as I keep getting the same (or better) service. and if the Sevice Disappears, well it was good while it lasted I still have my E* dishes and STBs and they will gladly sign me back up as a customer. (and probably with added incentives like the HD 921 or something). So Either way as the Consumer my needs will met.

I feel for they guys who bought their gear as they are the ones who may potentially get the shaft. (I lease so no big deal for me)

jnardone said:
So if the satellite and equipment is sold by cablevison and used by another provider for their own service is that selling VOOM or folding VOOM?

Folding VOOM means the end - no more - finito. Nobody buys them- gone...

I think VOOM will succeed in one form or another (in other words, some kind of predominantly HD TV service will continue with quality proprietary programming and few or no commercials, regardless of the name). That's really all I care about anyway.

If I am wrong -- if TV reverts to commercial-laden SD with a sprinkling of HD -- I'll go back to renting DVDs and forget TV until some new quality HDTV service comes along. No D*, E*, or cable.

Microsoft talking over Voom would get a lot of attention, but it has a low probability of happening.

Echostar could buy them out and market it as the HD add-on service of choice for their 10 million subs and charge them extra for it.. just a thought.

It looks that cablevision has excepted a bid and we are waiting for the announcement and the lawyers are picking over the arraignment.

My prediction is 1/05 we will hear that E* won the bid at 50 cents to the dollar.

GregN said:
It looks that cablevision has excepted a bid and we are waiting for the announcement and the lawyers are picking over the arraignment.

Source of your information????

I have hesitated to engage in speculation. but what the heck, here it goes.

CVC has two core compentincies.
1. Cable provider
2. Content provider

CVC can continue its cable venture without much change.

Content provider can now be expanded with the libraries of films they have contracted for reccently.
The Monster channel, could fit in nice with their other offerings.
WE, IFC, AMC, and now Monsters and Gunslingers.
AMC can increase their offerings, and I am sure they can beef up WE with some of the chick flix they obtained.
Why not give Cuban a run for his money in HD offerings to Cable and Satillie.
As far as the rest, write it off, sell the satillite and move on.

Until then I will be watching Gunslingers.

Voom customers will become E* customers. And you'll finally have your DVR. Hopefully they will give you E* boxes (less buggy). (the 811 I have works pretty well.)

Voom was great, glad I switched to E*.

I agree with kentstater.

Cablevision will sell the satellite & subs. It will keep the VOOM HD channels or roll those channels into a new company with WE, IFC, & AMC.

They would then be able to provide the VOOM HD channels to all other providers ie Dish, Direct, Cable companys.

GregN said:
Speculation....

Would not want to spend time with Martha :)

I wonder if this guy is for real?
:yes :no :confused:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)