Where's the 3D Channels DISH!!???

From Nov 4. If you have something later please post it.

ESPN Announces Results of Comprehensive 3D Study

Read the article to see the Key Findings. All positive in my opinion.

That's later than what I had last read. What I had read earlier indicated there was concern that the cost/benefit ratio was out of kilter as the uptake on 3D tvs has been rather low.

From my perspective of not liking any of the 3D I've seen since the 50's, I think it will fail just like it has in the past. This is far from new technology, and the glasses for a set at home make it a non-starter. Couple in that on D*'s equipment and watching the few 3D channels there are, most have to plug straight from the sat receiver to the TV bypassing any home theater stuff along the way, even the AVRs that claim 3D compatibility.

Long way to go to get no glasses, smooth integration and excellent 3D service from anywhere. I think a very big indicator is that even though Avatar was one of the biggest 3D movies, they've yet to release a 3D BluRay of it.

So E* can dawdle a heck of a lot longer about 3D and spend the money on something that affects enough people to actually matter.

Kind of the way some of us feel about all the sports programming we are forced to pay for in order to get the other content we want.

Well, as it stands the first 3D channels will probably be sports channels, lol.

That said, you don't pay a "sports premium" when you buy a new TV, but I can promise you that every TV, AVR and Blu-ray player coming out of CES this winter will have the "3D craze premium" attached. It is a problem of a different scale (basically manufactures sticking it to us after they won the PR battle selling this 3D snake oil.)

Honestly, I'm fine with 3D as an add on Dish package option as long as they first get the Local and National HD channels we have been waiting patiently for up and running, which will probably take years and years and years...

3D is interesting, kinda fun, but like others have said: it seems we need HD for all channels before 3D. That is the immediate future. And if you already have prescription glasses, talk about nerd look (yes I know you can get prescription 3D glasses, but again, why???) If you really want 3D, I suppose you can always go and get a bluray or simply go over to the "other side" of sat providers- but for what is it- one channel? Methinks not. FYI, I was one of those quad /stereo adopters. (maybe 10 of us in the world??) :).

What the tv industry keeps on missing, is that we are in the middle of the worst financial times since the great depression. This fiscal year for 2011 marks the first year without government stimulus money. We already have 15 million Americans out of work , what do you think will happen once the states start laying off workers in an attempt to balance their respective state budgets? More Americans out of work than before. People out of work in bad times do not care about gimmicks in technology like 3-D tv. Most people in this country have just upgraded to an hd tv in the last few years and they are not going to upgrade again. Hell most people , me included, don't buy blu rays due to the high costs. I still buy dvds if I want a movie and watch them upconverted in 1080p over my blu ray player. I don't see these bad times changing in the next few years. Maybe by 2015 things will start to come back and people can return to buying a lot of high tech gadgets for fun. But not now.

First let me say I seen Avatar when it came out in the theaters in 3D. I thought the 3D effects were great, story not so hot & about 30 minutes too long, but I really got into the 3D. That's how 3D need to be presented in the theaters where it's part of the event of going out. Making a night out at the movies even more special.
At home 3D faces a lot of challenges for the mainstream to except it. Of course there's the cost of the 3DTV, but unlike buying an HDTV which once bought you could hook it up to your old antenna and voila, you could get at least the major networks in HD. With 3D you need to subscribe to a carrier that has 3D, no OTA for 3D. Then you have to buy those glasses, which aren't exactly cheap and you need enough for everyone in the household. OK, so now you have the basics, but hey, you really would like to see one of the handful of 3D Blu-rays that are out, so now it's time to buy a brand new 3D Blu-ray player.
The cost to enjoy 3D at home just seems way to costly for the average Joe with a family. And IMO, it's starting to look like the CE industry and Hollywood are stumbling on how to proceed.
3D in the home will probably continue on, but more in gaming then anything else. Sure there will be some who will want 3DTVs for viewing sports & select movies, but I think it will be like satellite radio, even some of you modest price HTIB have the ability to receive satellite radio (my Onkyo TX SR606 A/V receiver has that capability), but there are few who actually subscribe to it over FM.

Ghpr13:)

Last edited:
I have 3D on DIRECTV and it reminds me of the old VOOM, the same thing over and over again. There is still not a lot of content out there.

Where I find myself using the 3D the most is playing games on my Playstation 3 in 3D. Games like Motorstorm 3D are AMAZING in 3D!

3D is interesting, kinda fun, but like others have said: it seems we need HD for all channels before 3D. That is the immediate future. And if you already have prescription glasses, talk about nerd look (yes I know you can get prescription 3D glasses, but again, why???) If you really want 3D, I suppose you can always go and get a bluray or simply go over to the "other side" of sat providers- but for what is it- one channel? Methinks not. FYI, I was one of those quad /stereo adopters. (maybe 10 of us in the world??) :).
More quad adopters than that due to the fact that there were at least that many reviewers. Somewhere around a 1000. :D

More quad adopters than that due to the fact that there were at least that many reviewers. Somewhere around a 1000. :D

My best friend still gets on me about having a Quad system back in the 70's...He's always asking me when the next Quad CD will be released...

I am an early adapter of new technologies. I had the first cell phone of anyone in my area. (From SNET - they had sold exactly three prior to me buying one - it looked like an old army radio unit) First one in my circle to have a computer. Bought one of the first large screen TV's when they came out, one of the first LCD TV's when they came out, hopped on Slingbox, I would have a Google device except it appears it is not compatible with my Vip612's, etc.. etc...
I just don't see a future for 3D unless some things change. Has to be no glasses. Has to look normal for those who cannot see 3D (of which there are many - many more than you might realize and for various reasons) And I'm not sure if it is the glasses, but I find my eyes feel fatigued after only a short time.

Even fixing all that, the non cartoon examples I see in the stores seem like the people in relation to the background are too small. I have no doubt some people enjoy it, I'm not convinced it will have mass appeal in it's present state.

Why People's Eyes Don't Always React Well To 3D HDTV

I am an early adapter of new technologies. I had the first cell phone of anyone in my area. (From SNET - they had sold exactly three prior to me buying one - it looked like an old army radio unit) First one in my circle to have a computer. Bought one of the first large screen TV's when they came out, one of the first LCD TV's when they came out, hopped on Slingbox, I would have a Google device except it appears it is not compatible with my Vip612's, etc.. etc...
I just don't see a future for 3D unless some things change. Has to be no glasses. Has to look normal for those who cannot see 3D (of which there are many - many more than you might realize and for various reasons) And I'm not sure if it is the glasses, but I find my eyes feel fatigued after only a short time.

Even fixing all that, the non cartoon examples I see in the stores seem like the people in relation to the background are too small. I have no doubt some people enjoy it, I'm not convinced it will have mass appeal in it's present state.
You are not the only one that has problems w/ 3D. Here's an article from Home Theater mag on why some have problems seeing 3D. Why People's Eyes Don't Always React Well To 3D HDTV

This article seems to be the prevailing view of those who do not stand to gain monetarily. I will again say of course some people really like it, I am only saying I do not believe the majority will really want it, nor should Dish spend any resources for it at this time unless it can be done without forfeiting other advancements.

Eight Reasons To Buy an HDTV Today That Doesn't Include 3D

I don't know how much this will actually help but ESPN has a form you can fill out requesting ESPN3D. All you have to do is put your name and email address in and select the provider you want it sent to and they send out a boilerplate message for you requesting the channel. You can also add additional comments if you want. I don't know if it will make a difference with dish's legal dispute with disney right now but maybe if enough of us request the channel they will see that there is a big enough audience for 3D and they will add some other 3D channels for us.

ESPN 3D Cable TV Providers | Get ESPN 3D TV

You wont see ESPN 3D on DISH until the entire DISNEY Lawsuit is settled. (Which is why we dont have ESPNU in HD yet)

DISH recently won a judgement against DISNEY but now DISNEY is appealing the ruling. :(

My best friend still gets on me about having a Quad system back in the 70's...He's always asking me when the next Quad CD will be released...

Quad CD? LOL! the technologies are about 15 years apart. I too was big into QUAD, the forerunner of DD5.1. I still have a stack of QUAD record albums and a stack of 7" R2R tapes. I still have my old Roberts Quad R2R tape recorder too. Quad worked and just was ahead of it's time. I rewired everything from the QUAD to DD5.1 in the late 90's long after the content stopped selling. There were three media formats for Quad- Records, Reel tapes and 8 track tapes. I had the 8Track player in my sports car and an 8 track set top box for recording the tape carts from the records.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)