Dedicated Home theater
4k scaling
3d
1080p
Zone 2 through the house
Control via smart phone tablet
Ease of use
$1000 or less

HK is not the easiest to use out of the receivers on your list. Menu system can get convoluted. I've owned Pioneer and didn't really care for the sound (a little warm and muddled). Many around here like ONKYO. Had an Integra (ONKYO's sibling). They do tend to run a little warm. In the past, HDMI handshake issues have been common. You'd need to check the Owner's threads over at AVS to see if they've been handled. Sony I wouldn't even consider. Of the brands on your list (and not ;)), these would be some good choices that meet your needs.

DENON 2313
Yamaha 773 or RX-a820 (I would lean towards the a820
Marantz SR5007 (Not on your list but an outstanding receiver, great, clean sound, easy to use) I have the SR6005 as does Jason
ONKYO NR717

I'm actually considering the Yamaha RX-A3020. Yamaha is a little warmer. My choice would be between the Denon 2313, Marantz SR5007, or the Yamaha RX-a820. You'll need to listen to tem to see which one you like best.

S~

I agree with teachsac's assessment but have a couple of comments. First, one seldom hears negative comments on either Denon or Marantz, so those would be the safe choice.

I need to defend Onkyo a bit. I own a Denon, but also an Onkyo 806. I have been hearing the posts on overheating for several years now. These days it has become more of a rumor and most posters have no experience with the brand. When the reports were fresh, it generally turned out that the people complaining were suffocating the receiver by placing it in a tight cabinet with no breathing room. My 806 is on a rack with open sides and has about 3 inches of clear space above. I have measured temps many times and the highest I have ever seen was 87 F on the top case.

Reason to consider Onkyo is that it tends to give a bit more bang for the buck. Usually a couple extra features or THX certification at a lower price point.

Otoh you will not go wrong with any of these choices. Btw I agree with comments on both the Pioneer and HK

You won't find 4K scaling in receivers or Pre/Pros for probably another year. It's just too new to get down to an ASIC for inclusion. You certainly won't find it in the under $1K price point.

I've had extremely good luck with Denon, Marantz and Onkyo. I've reviewed all of these except HK and there won't be a bad choice amongst them. Denon and Marantz can be controlled with a free app on Android. I haven't looked for / used RC apps for any of the other brands, but if it's IP connected it can probably be IP controlled.

I've always been a fan of Onkyo. The only trouble I have ever had is the HDMI board went out on my TX-SR606 that sits on my desk. As you can see from the pic below, its not tucked away in a cabinet or something, causing it to overheat. So, I'm not sure what caused the capacitors to fail.

Fortunately, I was able to fix it for about $5 with the help of a YouTube video.

bLGsYm.jpg

I've always been a Yamaha fan. I'm looking to upgrade an older Yamaha 5.1 receiver. I'll still continue to use a 5.1 speaker setup. Big draw for me is Airplay, different audio to zone 2 and the ability to control it with my iPad. RX-V673 has everything I want.

I've always been a fan of Onkyo. The only trouble I have ever had is the HDMI board went out on my TX-SR606 that sits on my desk. As you can see from the pic below, its not tucked away in a cabinet or something, causing it to overheat. So, I'm not sure what caused the capacitors to fail.

This was the time period when the entire industry got burned by defective chinese manufactured electrolytic capacitors. These capacitors caused premature failure in a lot of consumer electronics and personal computers, but also caused problems with high end electronics as well. I was working on avionics for the boeing 787 at the time, and we were forced to recall 9 months of (thankfully pre=production) units and replace all the capacitors. They didn't all fail, but a handful did and that caused a situation where we could not guarantee contracted reliability of the boxes. The consumer electronics OTOH were allowed to fail and were repaired under extended warranty if the customer complained hard enough.

Just waiting for details showing the differences between the 7701 and 8801. The 8 series was the missing link from the line-up two years ago.

S~

All of the receivers I posted have 4K scaling and passthrough for under 1K.

S~

I was just going to say... My Onkyo TX-NR609 that I bought for under $400 last year has 4K scaling. I believe it also meets every one of the OP's listed requirements. Although, since he said under $1000 I think he is probably looking for something more high end than that model.

You're late to the conversation. I had the Onkyo 717 on my list. We never heard back from the OP.

S~

This thread is less than 2 months old. I was responding to the person who said we wouldn't see 4K scaling for another year and definitely not under $1000. I saw that you already responded so I quoted you.

I think my post is important for people coming to this thread even if they aren't the OP. It cleans up some of the information. 4K scaling was available on even the low to mid range AVRs like mine about a year ago and for far less than $1000. Like I said mine was less than $400 on amazon(I think around $375 but I'm not positive.) MSRP is $599 but I doubt many paid anywhere near that price for it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts