Which do you like? Amazon, Hulu, Netflix etc...

Blindowl1234

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 16, 2008
SouthWest Ohio
Just got a Roku XS last night and hooked it up. I'm still going thru the channels and adding more. I was familiar with the old Netflix via the mail from years ago, so we got the instant streaming now. So far i like what i see. So what else does everyone prefer and why? I've not looked into Hulu Plus, VuDu or Amazon just curious..

We use Netflix and Vudu. Bunches of stuff to watch and Vudu quality is really good if your internet is fast. I'm not sure about the quality of video with others.

Netflix is hard to beat for the price.I also like Amazon and Vudu.Hulu plus not so much,it's ok for a free trial but who wants to pay a monthly subscription and still have to see commercials.

Went with Netflix. The Roku free content is ok if you have nothing else to watch but it won't replace anything I currently have OTA/FTA etc...

Went with Netflix. The Roku free content is ok if you have nothing else to watch but it won't replace anything I currently have OTA/FTA etc...

Netflix has a wide selection of tv series and movies,they update the library monthly.If you get tired of them you can always try Amazon.If it's been at least a year or,if you have never had a prime account you can get a free month.They have some tv series that netflix doesn't.

Teehar, I signed up with Amazon last night for the free month. All their plans are confusing..Prime,Instant etc..then I called Amazon and found out I have to pay extra for my wife to watch her favorite cable shows..That could be expensive to watch something a day late! I told Amazon it wasn't a very good plan for the customer but great profits for Amazon. After the one month I'm done with them...

Teehar, I signed up with Amazon last night for the free month. All their plans are confusing..Prime,Instant etc..then I called Amazon and found out I have to pay extra for my wife to watch her favorite cable shows..That could be expensive to watch something a day late! I told Amazon it wasn't a very good plan for the customer but great profits for Amazon. After the one month I'm done with them...

Well to be fair that's for current seasons.You won't find any current seasons ie next day on netflix either.The prime content is similar to netflix older movies and shows from seasons past.You do also get the added benefit of free 2 day shipping on many items sold on amazon.For a free month trial I think it's a great deal.

You can't see any current shows for free next day unless you have cable _on-Demand, or want to watch on the internet. Don't blame Amazon, they have to pay to show those. Prime is a great deal. FREE 2 day shipping and a great selection of FREE movies and TV shows.Costs only about $6.50 a month.

With Netflix what you see is what you get. Pay one price. I thought Amazon was too confusing. Instant Tv, Prime etc..I rarely order anything from Amazon so that part is of no use to me. Don't download books either. Amazon reminds me of my favorite tv provider, you pay one price but if you want this or that its extra $$$$
Guess that's why we have variety though so each can research and choose what suits us.

I only subscribe to Netflix streaming. Occasionally order a single current release movie from Amazon. Downloaded many store and private stream channels, but can't say I find much of interest on these channels.

Regular TV is from time shifting daily DVR recording of the network prime time blocks from FTA 99w, catching missed shows directly from the networks via my HTPC streaming sites, Hulu (free) for additional TV and using PlayOn to steam video collection to Roku and tablet...

Monthly TV viewing cost is usually less than $15!

Navy, Not one plan one price from what Amazon said... $79 for some stuff plus additional for each newer Tv shows. At a couple of bucks for each episode that's pricey to me. Especially if you like a lot of shows and don't have cable. Why not one price for everything? Wouldn't that be more user friendly? I had to call Amazon last night to find out what was included in the $79 and what wasn't. Just my opinion but it should've be easier. Hulu you either have Hulu free or Hulu plus pay one price...no brainer.
Netflix pay one price you get everything..no brainer.

I only subscribe to Netflix streaming. Occasionally order a single current release movie from Amazon. Downloaded many store and private stream channels, but can't say I find much of interest on these channels.

Regular TV is from time shifting daily DVR recording of the network prime time blocks from FTA 99w, catching missed shows directly from the networks via my HTPC streaming sites, Hulu (free) for additional TV and using PlayOn to steam video collection to Roku and tablet...

Monthly TV viewing cost is usually less than $15!

Brian, Thanks for the post. I agree. I'm trying to keep the cost down here too. Roku, Hulu, Netflix and the Micro Hd thats plenty.

Navy, Not one plan one price from what Amazon said... $79 for some stuff plus additional for each newer Tv shows. At a couple of bucks for each episode that's pricey to me. Especially if you like a lot of shows and don't have cable. Why not one price for everything? Wouldn't that be more user friendly? I had to call Amazon last night to find out what was included in the $79 and what wasn't. Just my opinion but it should've be easier. Hulu you either have Hulu free or Hulu plus pay one price...no brainer.
Netflix pay one price you get everything..no brainer.

What you say is true. With Amazon if you want the current season's shows, they do have them, but they are not free.

OTOH, Netflix just doesn't have them at all.

I have Netflix because it seems to me to be the better service for streaming. Amazon's big claim to fame is that if you also buy a lot from them, the shipping benefits of Prime have a real value.

I also get shows/movies from whichever source has them the cheapest when I decide I want to get them. I use Amazon and iTunes most of the time for that and it is all about the benjamins as to which one.

Nothing unusual about a provider having some stuff free & charging for other stuff. Cabelcos & Satcos operate that way.

I'd rather have the option of paying extra than not being able to get it at all.

You pay for convenience. A lot of the current season is out there if you are willing to wait a week, and to add paths to connect your computer to the TV. Fox and USA network stream all their stuff. Other networks also. HULU (not plus) also has some of the recent stuff in SD if you can connect the computer.

Mostly, we use Netflix and Amazon though.

We have Netflix and watch free Hulu and some networks through Plex server. We only rent from Vudu and Amazon when the movie is on sale. Since we get movies from BB&Home (mail order and in-store trade-in), I feel that $3.99+ for a streaming rental doesn't make much sense. I did buy Breaking Bad season 5 when Dish was handing out credits and Roku players last summer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts