Which HDTV convertor is the best?

n1wbd

Silent Key - RIP 1/2/2012
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Grafton,NH
I'm looking for a HDTV convertor box but not sure which brand or model is a good one. Someone recommended the Samsung SIRT451 but the reviews I saw were'nt all that great.

Any suggestions please include who has the best prices if you can

Thanks
Bob
N1WBD

Just to be clear are you really looking for a converter or an actual ATSC Terrestrial (OTA) Tuner ?

...and if you are meaning the ATSC box, when you say best, you mean of current releases? I think there are recently past boxes that can still be found that are better IMO.

LG LST-3100A / LST-4200A / LST-3410A

I would think other names based on the LG would be about the same; and they do make for other name plates.

I think that Samsung is also recently discontinued.

What are you trying to do with it? ATSC and/or QAM? I have used a t451 and I returned it after finding out the QAM part of the t451 does not handle QAM256. OTA it worked pretty decent.

I have an LST- 3510a (upconvert DVD/ATSC/QAM) and it works great. But the interface is clunky and QAM/ATSC is sometimes slow to respond to channel changes.

I also have an LST 4200a and it works great. It's NTSC/ATSC/QAM. I have it hooked to my cable line for NTSC and QAM signals. It handles QAM256 just fine.

I went through ebay for my 3510 and a local high-end electronics store for the 4200 and that was over a year ago. They are not produced anymore that I know of and the newer ones, like charper1 said, don't seem to be as good as the older models.
Both do OTA just fine also

Just to be clear are you really looking for a converter or an actual ATSC Terrestrial (OTA) Tuner ?

...and if you are meaning the ATSC box, when you say best, you mean of current releases? I think there are recently past boxes that can still be found that are better IMO.

LG LST-3100A / LST-4200A / LST-3410A

I would think other names based on the LG would be about the same; and they do make for other name plates.

I think that Samsung is also recently discontinued.

I mean the set top box so I can receive HDTV off air on my analog TV. I'm hoping to have enough signal here to get WMUR-DT from Manchester since Dish took it away from us NH residents.

The Vomm Motorola box is very good, just make sure you buy one that was previously activated not new in the box as there is no way to enable the ota tuner now that voom is gone, R\Previously activated boxes still work fine.

LG tuners are very good...I also lke the DigitalStream 1150...3150 if you need a HDMI output...I bought 12 of the 1150's for my headend(s) and 1 LG 3510A (has upconverting DVD player that I am not impressed with but it was a great deal off eBay) for personal use...STAY AWAY FROM MOTOROLA HDT101 UNITS!!! No rhyme or reason...could be 2 weeks or 2 years...the thing WILL go out and canNOT be brought back...this is known as the 'dreaded zero's'...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)