Which player to buy?

rbmjr

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2007
Hi all,

I'm ready to jump into the BD market and buy my 1st player. Any suggestions as to which player has the best features, reliability, etc...? What are the essential differences between a PS3 BD player and a standalone unit other than the ability to play games?

Cheers,

Rob

Could you provide us a little more info on your setup, please? Then we'd be better able to make a recommendation. TV, receiver, etc.

S~

You'd probably be best off with the PS3. It gives the most bang for the buck. And you can count on it being fully supported for many years to come. It's already 1.1 compliant, and has an ethernet port that allows easy firmware updates. Full profile 2 capability is probably just an update or 2 away.

The PS3 loads fast. It does not have analog audio outs for 5.1/7.1, but then few players do.

Does your receiver switch HDMI? Does your TV even have HDMI inputs? Are you set up for stereo, 5.1, 7.1?

You'd probably be best off with the PS3. It gives the most bang for the buck. And you can count on it being fully supported for many years to come. It's already 1.1 compliant, and has an ethernet port that allows easy firmware updates. Full profile 2 capability is probably just an update or 2 away.

Don't forget DVD upconversion and wireless capabilities. You can stream media from other PCs connected via your wireless network directly to your TV. Or, with the built-in HDD, you can rip 100s of CDs to it and create a mini juke box. It's amazing what this thing does for $400.

You might check out Target where you can get a PS3 for (in effect) $319 this week (while supplies last) by taking out one of their credit cards for 10% off all your purchases that day and getting a $40 Target gift card with the purchase of the PS3.

$399 (price of PS3)
-$40 (10% off for taking out a Target credit card)
-$40 (Target gift card to load up on shampoo, underwear, dog food, etc.)
---------
=$319

Could you provide us a little more info on your setup, please? Then we'd be better able to make a recommendation. TV, receiver, etc.

S~

Thank you...here is the equipment that I have presently (I want to upgrade but the WAF isn't there yet!)

TV--Mitsubishi 55" HDTV w/o HDMI so I use an HDMI-DVI adapter
Audio--JVC w/ connections for up to 7.1 surround (I'm only using 5.1 now)
w/ Bose audio speakers

I also have a 32" Viewsonic LCD but I'm not overly satisfied with the PQ so it is likely going to be replaced with something larger and higher quality.

The PS3 loads fast. It does not have analog audio outs for 5.1/7.1, but then few players do.

What type of 5.1/7.1 output does the PS3 have? Optical/coaxial? My receiver will handle either and the inputs are assignable.

PS3. Don't come back if you're going to tell us you bought something else.

LOL...no, I haven't bought anything at all yet. Does the PS3 play PS2 games or only PS3 games? My wife isn't that keen on the game player idea but she actually said yesterday that maybe I should get a PS3 since I'm so determined to get a BD player!!!

Some versions of the PS3 can play PS2 games. My 60GB version, for example. But I don't have any games. It's strictly a BD player.

I use the PS3's HDMI output, feeding an Onkyo 805 (moved up from a JVC RX8020V). It also outputs optically. But the nature of the optical cable is that the most you'll get is Dolby 5.1 (lossy). It can't handle the higher bit rate of the more advanced lossless codecs. This may not be a concern for you. One day you might upgrade your speakers and receiver to an HDMI version anyway.

When you say a receiver with connections for up to 7.1, do you mean you have a receiver with analog inputs or just that it can do a 7.1 setup through digital audio connection?

Ask because if you want to get the lossless audio and you have the analog inputs for each speaker then the PS3 is one to NOT get in your situation.

Thank you...here is the equipment that I have presently (I want to upgrade but the WAF isn't there yet!)

TV--Mitsubishi 55" HDTV w/o HDMI so I use an HDMI-DVI adapter
Audio--JVC w/ connections for up to 7.1 surround (I'm only using 5.1 now)
w/ Bose audio speakers

I also have a 32" Viewsonic LCD but I'm not overly satisfied with the PQ so it is likely going to be replaced with something larger and higher quality.

What type of 5.1/7.1 output does the PS3 have? Optical/coaxial? My receiver will handle either and the inputs are assignable.

OK. You really want to take advantage of the HighDef audio in addition to the picture. Does your Receiver have 5.1 analog inputs? I take it there is no HDMI input on your receiver. If this is the case, the PS3 will not allow you to take advantage of your equipment. My suggestion would be if you receiver has 5.1 analog is to wait for a player like the Panasonic BD50 that decodes advanced audio internally and will send it to the receiver.

S~

On my JVC, for example, it could accept 7.1 analog via RCA jacks. It also has optical and coax. I used optical and the JVC receiver for a while with my PS3. But with so much money invested in my Klipsch 7.1 speakers, I sprang for the Onkyo 805 and HDMI.

OK. You really want to take advantage of the HighDef audio in addition to the picture. Does your Receiver have 5.1 analog inputs? I take it there is no HDMI input on your receiver. If this is the case, the PS3 will not allow you to take advantage of your equipment. My suggestion would be if you receiver has 5.1 analog is to wait for a player like the Panasonic BD50 that decodes advanced audio internally and will send it to the receiver.

S~

Ok, now I'm really confused. My JVC receiver has connections for 7 speakers plus a subwoofer. I use an optical cable to connect my current DVD player to the receiver. I assume that means my sound is digital. The receiver auto-decodes whatever is input and it sounds great to my ears. When you say analog I think of the old red and white RCA jacks which my receiver does NOT have.

I would like to someday upgrade the receiver to one with HDMI inputs but that will probably come after we buy our next home and I can create a home theater with recessed speakers and a 100" screen.

On my JVC, for example, it could accept 7.1 analog via RCA jacks. It also has optical and coax. I used optical and the JVC receiver for a while with my PS3. But with so much money invested in my Klipsch 7.1 speakers, I sprang for the Onkyo 805 and HDMI.

What is the actual difference in audio output via HDMI vs. optical audio output?

You might check out Target where you can get a PS3 for (in effect) $319 this week (while supplies last) by taking out one of their credit cards for 10% off all your purchases that day and getting a $40 Target gift card with the purchase of the PS3.

$399 (price of PS3)
-$40 (10% off for taking out a Target credit card)
-$40 (Target gift card to load up on shampoo, underwear, dog food, etc.)
---------
=$319

I noticed this on another site yesturday, and took advantage of the combo offer today.

Had to drive 60 miles to get one, but they held it for me, so it's ok.

Got the PS3, 3 year warranty ($29), Remote, and Godfather game for $483+tax.

Saved $45 for the 10% discount and $40 using the gift card for the remote/game. So right around $399 total!

When I opened it up, there is a rebate to get the remote free when you buy 2 blue ray titles (out of 10). So now I'll probally exchange the remote for 2 movies, pay a little extra, and get the remote free.

The 3 years for $29 is a real bargain!

What is the actual difference in audio output via HDMI vs. optical audio output?

HDMI passes lossless codecs such as TrueHD. Optical does not (SPDIF spec was originally designed for coax and does not make full use of optical). With a good setup and good speakers, you should be able to discern a difference. At least, Dolby thinks so. So do I.

Also, I don't think optical passes 7.1, just up to 5.1. Someone may need to correct me here.

I like my Samsung BD-P1400. It decodes almost all of the HD audio. It will bitstream the audio for the newer recievers or you can use the 5.1 analog out to send the HD audio to your reciever. When the player first came out there were some problems. 3 firmware releases later, they seem to work pretty well. I haven't really had any problems. I like having a standalone player and the Samsung has more features then the PS3. WARNING - the samsung is only profile 1.0. They are expected to release a new model in a few months that should be profile 1.1 or 2.0.

I like my Samsung BD-P1400. It decodes almost all of the HD audio. It will bitstream the audio for the newer recievers or you can use the 5.1 analog out to send the HD audio to your reciever. When the player first came out there were some problems. 3 firmware releases later, they seem to work pretty well. I haven't really had any problems. I like having a standalone player and the Samsung has more features then the PS3. WARNING - the samsung is only profile 1.0. They are expected to release a new model in a few months that should be profile 1.1 or 2.0.

Please elaborate on the "more features than the PS3 aspect". Thanks!

I believe the PS3 cannot bitstream audio. So, Satin your 605 cannot decode the audio for you. The PS3 will decode the audio and send it PCM to your reciever. The Samsung has 5.1 analog out so older recievers can take advantage of the HD audio. The samsung uses an inferred remote so you can use a universal remote.

EDIT: When I say bitstream I'm taking about HD audio.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts