Which Receiver?

Neutron

Founding Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 7, 2003
Texas
I'm looking between these two receivers:

JVC RX-D206B 7.1-Channel Home Theater Receiver with USB PC Link and Game Mode, Black

FRYS.com | JVC

and a Sony 7.1 on sale at Best Buy for $299.

I don't have a link for the Sony, sorry.

The JVC doesn't have HDMI switching but that doesn't matter as my DLP TV has HDMI ports. The Sony does have HDMI switching.

Which should I get? The Sony is 100w per channel, JVC 110w per channel.

We have the JVC in our son's room. This would be only a decent cheap starter unit and not a main H/T unit for long. Unless money is a real issue I would look above both of these.

I would be looking at the Onkyo TX-SR605. You can find them as low as $399 at Amazon. This reciever will also upconvert to 1080p using the Farouija Chip and HDMI switching. This is a very nice receiver at a very good price! If you can stand the heat - the Onkyo TX-SR705 will add DolbyTrueHD and DTS-HD Master decoding at around $625. It all depends on your budget and what you are looking for.

Well, I'm married so money matters a lot.

Fry's also had an Onkyo reciever for $299 that I was looking at:

FRYS.com*|*ONKYO

Doesn't pass audio over HDMi if you get into the hi-def thing. I agree w/ Joe. Nice receiver and excellent bang for the buck with advanced audio decoding. the Pioneer 1017 (499) or Yamaha 661 (549) are good receivers.

S~

Well, I'm married so money matters a lot.

Fry's also had an Onkyo reciever for $299 that I was looking at:

FRYS.com | ONKYO

Best bang for buck is definitely the Onkyo SR605. Get the missus to agree to the extra $100. Actually, it'll be less than $100, if you have to pay tax and/or shipping from Fry's. Amazon has no tax or shipping.

You can get the Onkyo TX-SR505 7.1 Channel Home Theater Receiver - Black for $238.55 with free shipping at BUY.com. They're a good internet business to deal with.

Robin

Ran out of Component inputs on my tv so it was good justification to look for a new receiver. I was looking at the Sony DG-710 which was around $220.00 on Amazon last week. Decided I couldn't wait for it to ship, so I was gonna buy it at Circuit City for $250, but the customer service was so bad (I waited for 20 minutes), that I bailed.

Kind of glad I did now, may look into the Onkyo line.

Thanks for the info...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)