Which way is better? Multiple LNBs or just one steerable dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

neftv

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 9, 2005
PA USA
Now when I am talking about Multiple LNBs I mean like looking at 10 or more satellites on one dish.
If Iceberg is reading this I was wondering how you got one dish to look at all those satellites. Just briefly.
And how is the rain fade on that compared to a steerable dish? I personally would set up a steerable because I have some room to do that but I know every situation if different.
Perhaps this post can be modified for the better and if it's worthy be put in the faq. As I dont see anything talked about like this.

Steerable dish-
Pros
1) lower cost because you only need one LNB
Cons
1) Can only see one sat at a time
2) dish may need to alingment more often or you change your reciever you may need to realing via its menus.
2) Dish needs space to move

One dish multiple LNBs.
Pros
1) look at multiple satellites at the same time.
2) Alingment is easier even when you swap out your reciever.
3) dish does not move at all.
Cons
1) higher cost more LNB's needed. More LNBs that can fail.
2) more prone to rain fade due to less dish surface looking at each satellite. (possibly)

Most people who want to see multiple satellites use a "Toroidal Dish".

I was corrected last time there was a thread similar to this, if you get a T90 (Toroidal 90) each LNB will see about 90cm of the dish.

If you change the receiver you will probably need more work to enter the switch settings (for multiple lnbs) compared to just editing one lnb if you use a motor setup.

With a Toroidal you can only see part of the satellite arc visible to your location (unless you use multiple toroidal dishes) , With a motor setup you can see the full arc.

Which is better may not be the right question. Many of us have both a motorized dish ( I have 2 ) and at least one fixed dish, generally for programming that we want "instant access" to. Channel changing time is a real issue with a motorized dish setup compared with Tony's T-90 setup, but generally we tailor our installations to fit our particular needs and Line of Site capabilities. I typically would rather "blindscan" than watch TV . Certainly more of my time is spent doing that. You may want to think about a "Hybrid" system.

:)

Brent

I think the decision gets easier when you start looking at multiple receivers. Once you have a half dozen receivers, it starts making sense to start looking at stationary dishes in order to eliminate the need to orchestrate the pointing of dishes in order to accommodate viewing from all receivers at one time.

If I had only 2-3 receivers, I'd probably motorize 3 dishes and be happy...... until I got bored and wanted quicker channel changing that comes from stationary dishes. Right now, my method has been to identify satellites with channels that I (or others in the house) want to watch from any location in the house and then plant a stationary dish pointing there. I also have a couple motorized dishes for occasional searching and tinkering from a couple specific locations.

I have a 1m dish on a motor and a T90. the T90 sits on the ground against the garage waiting for someone to buy it. a T90 doesnt get the same signal as a 90cm dish on a motor, not even in the center of the arc, and much less so on the outer edge of the arc. Its a neet idea but to be feasable imo the dish would need to be a T120 lol

I have a 1m dish on a motor and a T90. the T90 sits on the ground against the garage waiting for someone to buy it. a T90 doesnt get the same signal as a 90cm dish on a motor, not even in the center of the arc, and much less so on the outer edge of the arc. Its a neet idea but to be feasable imo the dish would need to be a T120 lol
You are not anywhere near me are you?? I'd consider buying a T90 if I could find one at a reasonable price ;)

In my set up I have a fixed 1.2meter dish (I know its to small for C band but I get by) and I have two other dishes to get dish network. One is the 110 and 119 and the other 61.5. I like to make one dish get 61.5 110 and 119 if possible to free up the other position for FTA Ku dish but I not decided on which way to go and provided that I can get Dish all on one dish. So I am looking for creative advice and better yet if someone has this kind of setup to share. Also, another thing is that I like to be able to reuse that Dish Network dish for FTA if I decide to dump Dish altogether.

Reasons people use multiple dishes
-multiple receivers
-line of site issues
-they get the dishes for free :)

I have had a fixed dish at G10 for a long time now because thats where alot of the english channels are. I use to have 3 boxes just on G10 in a couple rooms in the house. Another reason is from 103 west other than G10 there isnt much I need to move the dish over to so it saves on the motor.

I originally got the T90 because I had both a Dish subscription and a StarChoice subscription and wanted to combine those dishes and add a few FTA satellites on one dish. See my review in the review area.

I still have my motorized setup that I got 4 years ago because on the T90 I cant have 2 degree spacing so I still need it :)

obviously, those are all good reasons...

my reason would have to be (to use multiple dishes) the fact that I don't like to wait for the dish to "steer in" a channel that I watch frequently and of course multiple receivers sharing LNBs make it hard to record from if it is moving...

I don't use any stationary dishes, I am hardly ever on one satellite for more than 2 hours anyways, I get a large part of the arc for c/ku and I need to be motorized.

One was a gift for installing a 36" dish for someone (they didnt want the 2 3/8" mast on the roof) and the other was a little bit of blood on the knuckles from trying to get the bolts loosened. :)

Hi Guys Interesting as it seems some of you have acheived what I would like. I'm interested in adding a motorised dish to a setup with 3 lnb on one dish and a 4/1 diseqc switch (one feed spare). Is there any way to make a hybrid retaining my existing dish and adding a motorised for those less often used sats? How do I control the motor ? same wire as diseqc switch?
Jem

Yes I've got multiple LNB working now but can I wire a motorised dish through the Diseqc switch? Is the A terminal really straight through so the receiver will control the motor and I can still use B, C, D on the Diseqc for the fixed LNB's?
thanks Jem

yes no problem

ird -> motor -> 4x1 diseqc -> lnb's

ie my setup

fortec mercury -> sg2100 -> 4x1
4x1 port 1 -> linear on invacom qph-031 on motor
4x1 port 2 -> circular on invacom qph-031 on motor
4x1 port 3 -> 97 on a stationary dish
4x1 port 4 -> 123 on a stationary dish

you can use an 8x1 to get more, or add 22khz switch's to get even more.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)