Status
Please reply by conversation.

FlyingJ

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 19, 2005
Bexley, Ohio
While the Dish folks are Celebrating...

Doesn't D* have a volley to send back the other way after this latest news from Dish. Ok, I never had Voom channels so I can't comment on if they are relevent in the HD discussion but just kind of seems that somewhere along the line D* has made some pretty poor decisions or the fact of the matter remains that us HD subscribers just don't fiscally matter yet. So is there any reason that those of us that are HD capable still have D* except for the freakin Sunday ticket which has held me hostage for so long I'm about ready to hurl over it.

Last edited:
Well seeing DISH can't deliver receivers they are no better off than Directv. Be patient until after Superbowl there may be some good adds.

I don't know why everyone is hung up on the amount of HD channels E* has. If most of them are Voom channels, which I think they are who cares? Most of them are worthless. If they were any good Voom would still be in business. Yes, I would love for D* to add more HD channels, but ones that are actually worth watching.

wolfman said:
I don't know why everyone is hung up on the amount of HD channels E* has. If most of them are Voom channels, which I think they are who cares? Most of them are worthless. If they were any good Voom would still be in business. Yes, I would love for D* to add more HD channels, but ones that are actually worth watching.

Some of the voom channels are actually fairly good. They are certainly better than 1 hour of CD USA per week.

The only box E* has a shortage of is the 622 HD-DVR. I had Voom and the content was good and will get even better this year with more new stuff. PLUS E* is NOT in HD Lite like D* is, I have both D* and E* until April 14th when D* gets the heave ho unless Rupert pulls a big HD rabbit out of his hat before then.

canesfins said:
Sunday Ticket keeps me hostage.

Used to be that way with me also, but no more. Dropped it so they can't raise the price of it, on me again. As far as I am concerned the only way I would subscribe to it again, is if they paid me to take it.

I wish pay raises would have an increased the way the cost of that overpriced package has.

Most people will agree that the voom channels are a waste. They show mostly Voom original programming, so its not like your getting something so magnificent that others are not.

On the E* boards, most E* subscribers agree that they are overcharged, and their equipment is horrible. If you take any D* package and square it off with an equivalent E* package, you will see that you pay usually $5 to $8 more. They also charge $10 for every extra receiver, (this is a recent price change). So if you have two receivers, you will usually pay $15 more than with D*.

joedekock said:
Most people will agree that the voom channels are a waste. They show mostly Voom original programming, so its not like your getting something so magnificent that others are not.

On the E* boards, most E* subscribers agree that they are overcharged, and their equipment is horrible. If you take any D* package and square it off with an equivalent E* package, you will see that you pay usually $5 to $8 more. They also charge $10 for every extra receiver, (this is a recent price change). So if you have two receivers, you will usually pay $15 more than with D*.

I'm not sure of the validity of these comments. Dish charges 5 dollars for extra receivers. Many of their receivers are 2 tuner and can run 2 TVs at the same time on different channels with no extra fee. Dish's family package is 19.99 has 40 channels no Disney, Directs is 34.99 40 channels with Disney. NFL Sunday ticket is a Direct exclusive. The top package on Dish is 99.99 with all Premium, Normal and 25 channels of HD. They are different and both have their reasons for being.

Plywodstatebum said:
No one will ever compete with the PQ that Voom had. Thats why the Voomers miss them, not because of the programing.

Amen.

Anyone who saw Voom understands the importance to make people aware that HD-Lite is not HD.

I do agree the programing wasn't always the greatest, but it beat Hogans Hero's and Law and Order reruns all the time.

Kentstater72 said:
Amen.

Anyone who saw Voom understands the importance to make people aware that HD-Lite is not HD.

I do agree the programing wasn't always the greatest, but it beat Hogans Hero's and Law and Order reruns all the time.

Wrong.

I had far more programming with Voom than I do with D* and E* is just now catching up. My god I had east and west coast feeds of HBOHD, SHOHD, MaxHD, StarzHD and TMC HD.:rolleyes:

vurbano said:

What you don't think it is important to fight the imposition of HD-Lite?

No seriously, I was referring to the Voom Chanel's. There were some good (Rave!), some not so good.
I wasn't bad mouthing Voom. I miss Voom though the Voom Chanel's in HD-Lite do not have enough value for me to jump ship.

Don't be too heart broken. Voom is really not that great. If I had to choose between Voom and StarzHD/MaxHD/UnivHD, I'd choose the latter.

I think we'll eventually see the 4 SpaceWay birds blowing Dish out of the water (probably not until 3 & 4 are up for more Nationals).

Dish's new slot (129) does NOT currently have any Spot Beams. They are not going to be able to carrly many local markets with the bird currently parked there.

DirectTV will blow away Dish with Sat Locals. Dish's plan is to start installing OTA antennas in mid-size and small markets.

Personally, I actually think the OTA solution is just fine, but you can't convince the general population that an OTA antenna is somehow "old", "undesireable" technology.

I'd have cable now if thier (Mororola) PVR wasn't limited to 12 hours.

The Voom channels are heavily themed....

There's only a few I watch... Many I don't....

HDNews, Cartoon, Animation, Kung-Fu (sheesh), Fashion, etc.

You know 9 out of 10 topics on this site are people complaining about D* HD or D* or E* HD or E in general! What I dont understand is why people still subscribe if they are that unhappy? I mean if you want a CORPORATION to change the only way to do that is to effect their bottom line! For example look at the Cubs they suck always have probably always will, but they sell out almost every game! Why spend the $'s if people come anyway!

So unless we all (me included) say hey D* or hey E*! your HD programming sucks and I am canceling, we dont have much of a prayer! But we wont because we are dumb, lazy, content or unmotivated so well stick around and spend our time complaining on a chat room instead of watching HD!

Maybe a great man will unify the HD folks out their and slap some sense into us! Enough is enough!

jvarkalis said:
You know 9 out of 10 topics on this site are people complaining about D* HD or D* or E* HD or E in general! What I dont understand is why people still subscribe if they are that unhappy? I mean if you want a CORPORATION to change the only way to do that is to effect their bottom line!

The reason why we stay with D* & E* is, we like them a lot better than grainy old cable. By going on sites such this, people express their opinions and ideas, in hopes that people responsible for things like programing, equipment, etc, from D* & E* may read them.

Just because people complain about a product doesn't mean they don't like it, they may be simply trying to get the company to improve the product. Kind of like the old saying, "The wheel that squeaks gets the grease". Any good company knows the key success, of their business, is giving the customer the products they ask for.

I know from all of D* announcements, it sounded like their goal was to get local HDs up and running, then worry about nationals. But I am sure that they have heard more concern, from customers, to get more nationals up and running first. With the improvements to E* HD lineup, I am sure that D* will "Re-Think HD Programing", as not to loose out to E*.

jvarkalis said:
You know 9 out of 10 topics on this site are people complaining about D* HD or D* or E* HD or E in general! What I dont understand is why people still subscribe if they are that unhappy? I mean if you want a CORPORATION to change the only way to do that is to effect their bottom line! For example look at the Cubs they suck always have probably always will, but they sell out almost every game! Why spend the $'s if people come anyway!

So unless we all (me included) say hey D* or hey E*! your HD programming sucks and I am canceling, we dont have much of a prayer! But we wont because we are dumb, lazy, content or unmotivated so well stick around and spend our time complaining on a chat room instead of watching HD!

Maybe a great man will unify the HD folks out their and slap some sense into us! Enough is enough!

I agree, and to me, that is why all satellite, cable companies, monoply gas & light companies, etc....are all, laughing their way to the banks. Complaining means nothing to a guy with a billion in his bank account...this type of guy only takes notice when you stop buying his product. Complaining is a nice way to vent and many billionaire companies, encourage complaining, for they know that venting can be good for it's customers health and they want to keep us cash cows healthy and paying those high monthly premiums. So, we complain on and the rich get richer and the poor....well, you know how the story goes.:up

David_Levin said:
Don't be too heart broken. Voom is really not that great. If I had to choose between Voom and StarzHD/MaxHD/UnivHD, I'd choose the latter.

I think we'll eventually see the 4 SpaceWay birds blowing Dish out of the water (probably not until 3 & 4 are up for more Nationals).

Dish's new slot (129) does NOT currently have any Spot Beams. They are not going to be able to carrly many local markets with the bird currently parked there.

DirectTV will blow away Dish with Sat Locals. Dish's plan is to start installing OTA antennas in mid-size and small markets.

Personally, I actually think the OTA solution is just fine, but you can't convince the general population that an OTA antenna is somehow "old", "undesireable" technology.

I'd have cable now if thier (Mororola) PVR wasn't limited to 12 hours.

You are forgetting about the spotbeam capacity of Rainbow-1 at 61.5 W. Yes it requires a two dish solution but many folks would prefer two smaller dishes to the one big one that DirecTV requires. Dish will free up additional space on Rainbow-1 for using more of its spotbeams after E-10 is launched and the split SD locals are moved from 61.5 W. There will probably also be some room on the E-10 spotbeams to do some HD LiLs as well.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)