white spots in picture

bisque

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Nov 18, 2004
Hello...

I keep seeing white spots in the picture; they are embedded in the program as I can see them when I go back and step through by frame. they only exist for one frame and are usually larger than a single pixel of the TV, but still quite small.

I've changed HDMI cables; however since they are in the recording... I doubt it's anything on the TV side of the receiver.

something in the broadcast by Dish? issues somewhere from the outside Dish to DVR ?

its a 722, on a 52" HDTV so I can see all the broadcast issues.

I seem to notice it most on HBO; particularly noticeable today; but I can pick it out occasionally on other channels.

just fishing for ideas...

Are these random spots or do they form a pattern? Some studios put dot patterns in theatrical movies so they can tell which print a bootleg came from. I don't know if they do that with the versions sent to TV channels.

Doesn't seem to follow any pattern, seems quite random. With one particularly large one captured in a still frame, I was sure I could see compression artifacts around the edges...

I'll try to get a picture of one. Wouldn't hurt to run new cable, part of the run was already in place in the house when installed.

Sounds like satellite eclipse. However, they usually only affect analog transmissions. Twice a year, the sun will be positioned behind each satellite for a few minutes. In the C-Band days, this would eventually grain out your picture for a few minutes. If a feed is being sent to DISH from an analog source before encoding to digital, its possible those grains are being encoded.

I too have heard of the digital serial number being embedded in the film itself. It may appear random, but over several frames it can be a pattern that yields a "fingerprint" of sorts. Just like they do with yellow spots put on paper by printers. To trace a document back to the printer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)