Who got the technology first?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I've got an HR22 that USE to be slow as crap and I cleared the nvram and have about 96% free on it now. It's just as fast as my HR24's now
Yea Great solution delete all your recording so your DVR works properly. LOL! Hey I like Directv service any day of the week over Dishnetwork. But Directv has no excuses for slow and buggy equipment after all these years of making HR's. The HR 44 is going to be no different. It will start off impressive and end up with tons and tons of threads reporting issues.

What pisses me off is Directv comes out with HR44 and HR24, because they are supposed to solve the slowness issues, But what Directv over looks is they already shafted their existing customers with HR23, and 34 whom they refuse to upgrade to the better equipment with out hundreds of dollars in equipment lease fees. So whats the point Directv, give the new customer the best equipment? that's great while the rest of us get stuck with yesterdays left overs. At least with Dish everyone get the same Hopper and Joey.

The HR 44 is going to be no different. It will start off impressive and end up with tons and tons of threads reporting issues.

That could very well be true, but for now, it is a very speedy DVR, on par with the Hopper.

In this case, the HR34 already has *nix on it. If you know about *nix, you know there aren't a whole lot of "optimizing" solutions available for it.

You must've read the wrong Wiki page about *nix :) I'd turn off half (or more) features of the windowing manager (that would be for the GUI, not the TV picture). Compositing.. buh-bye... transparency.. buh-bye... hover-over popups (ie. the @#%$@#% ads in the guide).. see-ya... re-nice the task priorities. There would be many ways to attempt to skin that cat.. if the user really had access.

something.. anything to get the guide not to lag so much. (actually that makes me wonder if the guide is better without the mini live-view window... assuming that is an option.. hmmm... something to try tonite)

then I'd start hacking the XML for the menu structure to... oh, and to allow the buttons on the remote to directly access items like Pandora with a single-click. (re-purpose that useless "Active" button).. but this type of access will never be permitted.

This is a 99.9% closed system (other than 30KSIP and 30SLIP)... for all I care, it might as well be running AmigaOS. :) The performance of the HR34 is essentially out of the control of the end user. All credit and blame belong to DTV. IMO, they get maybe a B-.... I'll still trade 2-3 of the tuners for better performance.

Based on the above comments about Hopper (which I have not used)... I guess Dish had a "snappy" DVR first :) And DTV is playing catch-up with the HR44.

Now don't get me wrong.. the HR34 is probably still better than any box from TWC :)

In comparison, Dish has always had 'snappier' DVRs than Direct. Nothing new about that at all.

this is true, however at this point maybe it is because it has been so long or maybe because D* did improve, i can hardly tell the speed difference between the HR24 and the VIP622/722. The HR22 is an entirely different and sadder story however

I had a pair of hr24's a few months ago. They were faster than any other D* hddvr I had previously, and whirl that is true, what is also true is that they are not even close to the hopper's speed!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)