Who has better HD quality?

jhusted

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 19, 2005
I have cable and thinking about going to DishNetwork or Directv and was wondering who has the best quality HD? By that I mean the best pic.....

Thanks

I've had E* and Comcast. IMHO Comcast looks better. There are a couple different factors tho. With Comcast I am watching a 32" 720p LCD... With Dish I was watching a 52" 1080i Projection screen. They both are beautiful but Comcast looks better at this point. Dish's equipment is 100X better and I'd prefer to be with Dish but right now I have Comcast (On Demand is overrated too...I've found there's not much there that interests me)

The best HDTV you're gonna get is over the air. Everything else is going to be a downgraded quality from that.

Umm...can't an OTA channel suffer from sharing space with subchannels? At one time I had two OTA receivers, Dish HD, and Insight cable HD (Indianapolis), and I always thought that Insight cable had the most pristine picture, even on the locals. OTA was a very close second, followed by Dish, but truth be told they all looked great.

Edgar in Indy

BTW, I'm looking to come back to Dish for the Brazilian channels for my wife and the 622 (but I'm going to keep the cable for the locals), so I was wondering if somebody could PM me a ClubDISH referral code. Thanks,

Edgar in Indy

all ota i have seen, even with subchannels, is better than all satellite/cable hdtv i have seen. however i had a pretty junky cable service

Before having Dish Network HD, I had Comcast HD. I must say that I can't tell the difference between the PQ. The HD locals on Dish Network just pop out at me... more so than Comcast's HD locals. And the other HD channels look just about the same as Comcast's. Except with Comcast I didn't receive as many HD channels.

So are ALL of Dish Network's HD channels really down-rezzed?

Umm...can't an OTA channel suffer from sharing space with subchannels? At one time I had two OTA receivers, Dish HD, and Insight cable HD (Indianapolis), and I always thought that Insight cable had the most pristine picture, even on the locals. OTA was a very close second, followed by Dish, but truth be told they all looked great.

Edgar in Indy

I suppose it could, but that isn't an issue in my market. Most of the markets Dish and Direct pickup the local HD signals with an antenna, so they aren't going to get any better than what's already there. Cable could... but I can't stand to give them any props, they burned the bridge with me long ago. And if they have a better signal than OTA, it's a problem that can be corrected by a call to the studio engineer.