Who invented the LCD TV?

A salesman at a local store told a customer that LG invented the LCD TV. Does anyone know if this is true? I did a search and could not pin down a lot.

The salesman is a big fat 09-809809803kjth

Sharp was the first TV company to use LCD in big screen TV. The first big screen tv sort to speak was sharp LCD projector whiched they followed up with flat screen TV .

I did a google search and found this "First 3 inch LCD TV was marketed by Casio in 1985. The LCD or Liquid Crystal Display was invented at Kent State University in Ohio during 1964."
When was the LCD TV invented?

That is 100% true I use to sell those Caiso Tv bad picture in sunlight and they had to be tilted just right in order to see a picture.

Sharp was the first for big screed tv.

LG came along much later---by the way LG is a new name for Goldstar tv--remeber them???

The salesman is a big fat 09-809809803kjth

Sharp was the first TV company to use LCD in big screen TV. The first big screen tv sort to speak was sharp LCD projector whiched they followed up with flat screen TV .

The salesman could technically be correct, but as you say it is really hard to pin down. LCD's went color and also started displaying LCD images back in the mid '80s. Sharp was the early leader, and screens were 2-4". I still have one of these portable units.

Sharp also gets the nod for the first LCD projectors. They had the field pretty much to themselves throughout the '90s.

Lots of companies introduced 13-17" computer monitors in the late '90s onward. Viewsonic, Dell, HP, etc.

The question is who first put it all together as a TV that you could watch as a primary direct view set. I really don't know because my recollection is that suddenly they were all there on pretty much the same month. I don't recall a single set drawing attention. They were novelties at the time with all being 15-17" sets derived from the computer monitors and they grew slowly with everybody jumping onboard every time somebody introduced a bigger panel.

LG = Lucky Goldstar.

I'm sure many claim to have invented LCD. Success has many parents. Failure is an orphan.

I doubt very seriously that LG or any predecessor had anything to do with inventing LCD.

That is 100% true I use to sell those Caiso Tv bad picture in sunlight and they had to be tilted just right in order to see a picture.

Sharp was the first for big screed tv.

LG came along much later---by the way LG is a new name for Goldstar tv--remeber them???

LG now makes excellent products. There are reasons they moved away from the Goldstar name.

Perhaps another good example of how a whole country has emerged to making quality products. I remember when we considered everything made in Japan to be junk. Within a few decades they set worldclass benchmarks for quality and lean productivity in many product lines. The Koreans are probably next and I don't see any reason why China won't get there as well in due time...

Isn't LG partnered with Corning for producing the ultra clean and flat glass needed in current generation LCD displays? Samsung is another major player from that country in worldwide competition...

Perhaps another good example of how a whole country has emerged to making quality products. I remember when we considered everything made in Japan to be junk. Within a few decades they set worldclass benchmarks for quality and lean productivity in many product lines. The Koreans are probably next and I don't see any reason why China won't get there as well in due time...

Isn't LG partnered with Corning for producing the ultra clean and flat glass needed in current generation LCD displays? Samsung is another major player from that country in worldwide competition...

Personally, I think the Koreans are now. LG makes no excuses, nor does it yield to anyone in display devices. They are coming on strong in industrial electronics. I also know they are investing heavily in technology infrastructure, as I bid on some of it a couple of years ago.

I was working for Hewlett-Packard in their data acquisition lab about ten years ago when senior management decided to move all switchbox development over to China. I was incredibly impressed with the way that the China organization handled the transition. First, they brought over 6 engineers and the manager for a full year to learn everything about the technology. At the end of the year, they left one member behind to handle system coordination issues and took one of our technical leads back with them to act as advisor. Smoothest handoff I have ever seen. In addition, I was incredibly impressed with the education and attitude of the visiting engineers while they were here.

One big problem, especially with consumer goods is that the manufacturer builds to the customer specs, no more, no less. The issues come up because the customer asks for the lowest possible price and intenionally turns a blind eye to any issues that may produce. I expect that the contract manufacturer often does not even receive the agency requirements at all. In the end, I blame Wal-Mart, not the Chinese.

...One big problem, especially with consumer goods is that the manufacturer builds to the customer specs, no more, no less. The issues come up because the customer asks for the lowest possible price and intenionally turns a blind eye to any issues that may produce. I expect that the contract manufacturer often does not even receive the agency requirements at all. In the end, I blame Wal-Mart, not the Chinese.
Good point, and not to be forgotten! As I have said elsewhere, there are many definitions of "quality", one of which is "what the customer will buy". When price is on the top of the "must haves" list, other important characteristics are often compromised. Wal*Mart and ilk are partially to blame. The consumer is the ultimate determinant, however. As long as the masses are price-centric, the supply chain prioritizes accordingly. What is more discouraging is that this market reality often leads to a dearth of higher value alternatives. Caveat emptor...!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts