Who waits for 4K content.

Bruce

Bender and Chloe, the real Members of the Year
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
I cancelled my series timers for shows I know will be 4K on Netflix, like, for example, the Blacklist ( have not watched the second half of the 3rd season) and the 2nd season of Better Call Saul.

Well I just found out when the new Disney deal starts up in September on Netflix, all new 2016 movies ( and a lot of older stuff ) when they premiere on Netflix ( remember Netflix gets Pay 1 rights to New Disney movies now, so roughly 3-4 months after PPV release) will be in 4K.

So movies that just came out on BR/PPV like The Finest Hour and Zootopia (June 7) will be in 4K on Netflix this Fall and Captain America Civil War and The Jungle Book by the end of the year, do you watch the 1080P version now or wait till the 4K version is on, I am leaning towards the waiting

Also, just thinking about Disney in 4K, all Marvel and Lucasfilms movies also, while it is too late for the Force Awakens ( premiered in 2015 so Starz gets it ) all future Star Wars movies will be in 4K.

Last edited:
I won't wait. Ill take the 1080p blu with lossless audio over 2160p netflix with DD+.

The non HDR Daredevil at 2160p looks no better than the 1080 tier on my 65", so reduced my streaming plan back down from the UHD level.

I'd wait a little time for the UHD blu if it was delayed after the 1080p Blu, maybe, but 1080p and 3D look so good it is just not an importance to me. This 4K money grab is a marginal improvement IMO, not like when we went from DVD to Blu.

I watched Deadpool and The Revenant in UHD blu, but their 1080p counterparts looked great too. I prefer The Martian in 3D over the UHD version, and I bought Gods of Egypt on 3D blu, not UHD.

While I have seen some actual 4K stuff that looks much better than 1080i/p upscaled, it is far from the norm. Most things look so good upscaled to my Sharp 4K TV that the difference between the upscaled and actual 4K is minimal in most shows.

Demos of course, are a different animal. But how many of them do you actually watch? :)

Sent from my App Runtime for Chrome using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tampa8
While I refuse to do any streaming I definitely want as much UHD-BD as I can get. As for TV I'll take as many as I can have on BD. I find myself deleting a lot off the DVR as sometimes before I get to watch the whole season it's already out on Blu-Ray so I buy it write up.

Lparsons21 nailed it. With some exceptions and those are mainly clips made to show off 4K of which many can be found on Youtube it isn't often anything I am getting in 4K is so much better than 1080. I can even make a case sometimes not as good as it can lack deep colors when streaming.
Honestly 4K isn't a real advancement even when it does look better it is HDR that is the advancement. If you have a TV that is compatible/capable with a streaming service who has HDR selections, that could be worth waiting to watch. The good HDR I get (Even that is subject to a given program at this point) sometimes is remarkable. BUT - even at that I would not wait to watch a series I want to see because right now 1080 on my 4K TV looks pretty damn good, superb with just 1080P blu-rays.

Reactions: lparsons21
My Sharp 4K isn't HDR capable and I doubt it will be updated to support it. Hell, they can't even get Android TVOS updated and working really well.

Sent from my App Runtime for Chrome using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)