Why 4DTV's aren't made anymore

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tvropro

On Vacation
Original poster
Mar 9, 2007
I was talking with Skyvision today and they told me something very interesting. They said the reason that Motorola is not making them anymore is they refused to pay the $150,000.00 licensing fee to the government to continue making them that ran out. Anyone ever heard that?

Recalling from the old days.....
I remember the guy on Bore Site explaining that the scrambling system they used (videocypher then) was the same as the governments system for scrambling it's signals. So if you tried to break it, you would/could be guilty of espionage. A rather tricky way to get the feds to protect your scrambling system. It might be that they had to pay to use that system (just a guess)

I was talking with Skyvision today and they told me something very interesting. They said the reason that Motorola is not making them anymore is they refused to pay the $150,000.00 licensing fee to the government to continue making them that ran out. Anyone ever heard that?

Was that a CSR at Skyvision or one of the higher ups? Sounds fabricated to me......in the grand scheme of things $150k isn't all that much to a company like Motorola.

Was that a CSR at Skyvision or one of the higher ups? Sounds fabricated to me......in the grand scheme of things $150k isn't all that much to a company like Motorola.

Was a CSR but who knows info could have trickled down.

I know a little about encryption schemes. Believe me, the gov isn't going to let
anyone use their cryptographic schemes. There called CCI controlled cryptographic items. Illegal for anyone to use except uncle sam.
Most of the lower tier systems are exempt and ok for anyone to use. Google AES, DES, DVP, motorola astro saber.
I don't know what the digicypher is but you can be assured it isn't used by secure gov systems.

psystems.htm
Here is some info

http://wireless.per.nl/reference/chaptr01/brdcsyst/dvb/psystems.htm

psystems.htm

I have a 4dtv receiver that I don't use anymore...is there any value in it?

you can try calling skyvision and see what they may offer for it. If you do some ebay research on your particular model, you might find you could get more for it on ebay than selling it to skyvision.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)