Why all the hoopla about which format?

Good points Tony, I'm goona make a Tshirt today with a thumbs up logo that says
Ray-DVD and tell everyone that they made the wrong decision and that the all new Ray-DVD is the obvious winner!!

Pirates of the Carribean on BD anyone? How about Spiderman 1 & 2 release on BluRay in time for Spiderman 3? Or how about the new James Bond Flick released in March once again only on BluRay? Or when Warner goes to BluRay on 50gb discs supporting PCM audio and Java?

The movies will move BD players. But you tell the average consumer about java apps and pcm audio and you've lost them.

5 years ago I was d/l at 3mbps. I now f/l at 6mbps. That's only 3mpbs in 5 years.

Hey, I've got 30 MB down and 1.5mb up on my broadband and all I can get is HD movie trailers and fast XBox360 Video Marketplace downloads... I can't wait for more options to become available.....

I think the reason that there is SO much passion about the two formats is the fact that they are both still fragile. If a format takes off like DVD it will be huge. If not, it will be SA-CD and DVD Audio. Two competing formats that came out and sounded better, but had more onerous copy restrictions and were not as portable when compared with the CDs they were trying to replace. Sound familiar?

I've been a big proponent of HD DVD because I chose a side. Others have done the same for the other camp. In a perfect world, Sony would have gotten together with Toshiba and cut a deal, but alas they are going for the hail mary so one or both will lose...... We'll see....

One big reason there is so much passion is that it is a fair sized investment made by the individuals involved. You buy a player and a bunch of discs and you can get to $1000 invested pretty quick. No one wants to lose out on their investment, and no one wants to be told their investment is wrong.

I dont think either format is going to lose. One will just be adopted by J6P and be more popular. Probably HD DVD since they are a lot closer to his price point. The other may become obscure like DVHS or mainly used for storage. Early adopter stats are not going to determine this.

One big reason there is so much passion is that it is a fair sized investment made by the individuals involved. You buy a player and a bunch of discs and you can get to $1000 invested pretty quick. No one wants to lose out on their investment, and no one wants to be told their investment is wrong.
How does one lose? The disks are not going to be confiscated. You will still be able to play them. And they will be made for a long time. It will be years when or if some kind of winner is determined. And another question. How does one win a tiny market like HD anyway? There is the potential to win it every year. Each year it could grow drastically. No both formats will end up with a share of the market if both are priced reasonably. But at the moment BD really isnt at the moment and I have friends with HD sets and larger incomes that still think $499 is still too much for an HD DVD player. Its going to be a long time before this war really even gets going.

Last edited:
IF the thing works well, is reliable and long lasting. Funny if it turned out to work better with one format than the other.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=780362

Well maybe the format war is finally over LG announced a dual format player to be released early 2007. Now one can buy a player and look for the best deal on discs.

This player may or may not see the light of day by the end of 2007. The success (or lack thereof) of the PS3 in getting folks to migrate will determine whether BluRay becomes the next DVD or the next UMD, as standalone players that cost $1000 will be a tough sell.