Why cant make new channels without getting rid of others?

zeebre12

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 25, 2015
new york
I've noticed a lot in the last few years, when new channels are created they have to either rebrand/rename an existing channel or get rid of another one..like Pop replaced TVGN and Discovery Fit and Health was replaced by Discovery Life and thats only this year..why can't new channels be made without getting rid of others?, there's a tonne of other examples..also why are they getting rid of NuvoTV, and replacing it with a music channel?. Was that not created to tackle the Latino market?

A channel already being carried by satellite/cable companies is far more valuable to change than to try to create a new channel then try to negotiate carriage on all the satellite/cable companies. Even when the big players like Disney or Fox create a new channel it takes years before they can force it carriage by holding their other channels hostage during a contract renewal.

I don't need anymore channels that cost more to the subscriber. Rebranding the existing channels with new names or purposes is fine with me. After all , they all show the same crap now anyway. Mostly reality crap and infommercials with reruns thrown in and very little new content. I laugh because when I was a kid , you got the same amount of shows that you get now spread out over 50 or 60 channels , on only 3 or 4 channels in the 60s. The only difference is that I now PAY to watch the channels and dvr them and when I was a kid it was all free over the antenna.

I cringe whenever I hear my cable company is adding new channels, especially for sports I don't care about, because I know a rate hike is not far behind. Rebranding is fine if the new name and logo more accurately reflect the actual content of the shows aired. Speaking of which, I still can't believe TLC hasn't changed names yet. As "The Learning Channel" it once offered documentaries and educational programming 24/7. Now it should be called the Brides, Psychics, and Fatties Channel (BPFC).

Reactions: MikeD-C05

Dig on USA

American Crime

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts