Why do audio levels vary so much?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Alan Rovner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
Vancouver, WA
Hi all, I got my HH90 motor connected and working, and am tracking the arc successfully. I've noticed lots of audio oddities. The Montana PBS feed has very low audio, and the NBC feeds are just plain odd.

Either there is no audio, super low audio, or the commercials sound normal but the news announcer is inaudible.

Is this normal, or do I have some other problem?

Thanks again,
Alan

I have the same issue with Montana PBS. On some of the channels, especially networks, I have to go into the audio setting for that channel and select the audio output to use. Also, depending on the program, some of the channels that are in Spanish will have English audio that can be selected.

There is no FCC mandated requirement for audio levels, so yes they can vary.
Like Jason S mentioned, on channels like NBC they output separate audio channels instead of them being combined into one. So you will have to hit your audio button to cycle through.
...and yes commercials can be different that the main program.

It is just very poor engineering practices depending who is on the board running things. Same way with color, you get what the engineer on duty likes to watch. E_V

Thanks EV I used to work at a TV transmitter for NJ Public Television and they were exceedingly fussy about audio levels and color purity. In those days we weren't on the air 24/7 and I had 15 minutes to adjust the color burst setup before Sesame Street started at 4 PM. Wow I just had a flashback to the 1970s!

Regards,
Alan

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts