Why Does the D* Forum Have Less Participation?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
As I write this the D* forum has 61 participants and the E* forum has 151. And that is pretty par for the course as far as I can tell. Almost every time that I log on the D* forum has less than E* does.

My question is, since D* has several million more subscribers than E*, why is the D* forum less popular at the Satellite Guys Forums?

You would think that since D* has more subscribers that would translate into more forum participants, but apparently it doesn't. Does anyone know why?

Thanks.

John

It seems to me the two big sites: Satguys and DB Stalk, have just naturally found their nitches. Many people aren't going to spend a ton of time at both sites, but people interested in D* find a little bit more info with the other guys and people interested in E* tend to get the info they want here.

Because I'm more interested in E*'s doings, when I poke around DBStalk, I never find anything there that I didn't learn here, but I usually find out stuff here that never even gets mentioned over there. So there. :tux:

Actually I could have all the same stuff as earl, however if I pushed it then chances are Earl would lose his contacts.

That is something we don't want to happen. And i know it could happen as I have already talked with someone at DirecTV about this (Basically I was told they would take their ball and go home)

I personally have not followed DirecTV stuff closely as I don't subscribe to DirecTV.

We first and formost want our members to be educated the best they can be and if that means telling some folks to go to DBStalk to learn about some of the DirecTV stuff then so be it, I have no problem with that.

The main reason we run the site is to give people information, and if we dont have that information we don't pretend it does not exist, instead we tell you where to find it.

I have told Earl many times he reminds me of a younger me. :)

I guess I dont get that point. If you have the opportunity to make this the site for all of your satellite information why wouldnt you do it?

If you view this as a hobby and have limited time to spend on your D contacts then I can understand the snub.

I would think the thought of making this site the one stop shopping for all Satellite needs would be fantastic.

Obviously the E info here cant be beat. Iceberg is rock solid when it comes to FTA information. The only place this site comes up short is in the D department.

So again maybe its just me but if youre saying you could make this site strong in the D department but just dont feel like it I dont get it.

In general there is a lot more "buzz" regarding Dish because they are first with a lot of the technology when compared to Direct TV or Cable: DVR's, HD DVR's, RF remotes, dual tuner DVR and non-DVR boxes, and a whole list of firsts. There are a ton of "when is the new box coming out" posts and a lot more questions about how to use Dish technology such as the many LNBF and switch configurations (a ton of those questions), how to use Single and Dual mode, the options for Picture and Picture, understanding how TV1 and TV2 on the dual tuner boxes work, setting up a home node (send the TV2 signal or several TV2 signals to any room or several rooms in the house providing several sat tuners on one TV in one room without a sat box in that room ), using the Dish dual tuner boxes, getting people organized to request new features or enhancements because Dish does listen and they have altered software and added features because of customer requests (and complaints).

But being first means you do get more troublesome posts such as "this cutting edge box is great most of the time but there are a few bugs that need to be fixed" and Dish does get around to fixing them. To be sure, there are some rants, as well.

It seems to me that Dish is far more willing to speak with representatives of boards and even directly (as a statement from Dish directly to this and other boards) address these boards with official announcements, explanations, and clarifications. In one Dish Tech Forum, the president of Echostar (Dish) Technology, Mark Jackson, referred to "the talk on the boards" as he addressed an issue. It has been confirmed that Dish very seriously monitors these boards as a tool for feedback. These Charlie Chats and Tech Forums, while often promotions for services and upgrades, create DIALOG and will often lead to very informative technical information such as the most recent explanation of the different flavors of 1080p and why 1080p may not necessarily provide the best viewing experience. We also get the chance to tell the CEO to explain to us why there is a delay with hardware or software. There are a lot of posts referring to these Charlie Chats and Tech Forums as well as recaps and remarks about what was said.

And, finally, the irrepressible, often called "feisty" by the press, CEO, Chairman, and Founder of Dish Network, Mr. Charles Ergan puts himself out front in the public eye like Walt Disney and Lee Iaccoca, to give his company that personal relationship, as well as leaving himself open to being personally responsible for any Dish goof-ups. He is always quoted by the press, and he has said some amusing things over the years, and he is the one who will drop channels (to have them crawling back) to keep costs down. All this attention by the press causes a lot of discussion and posts in the Dish Network board.
Best to all:)

Last edited:
Well I believe(since I subbed with E* for 4 years) that I have a pretty good idea what
Charlie Ergen is about.He's an ex poker player that is very good with smoke&mirrors.His latest battle with CourTV you might think he won(because CourTV is now in Top200) but you should wait till on Feb.1,2008 with the next price increase to verify that decision.I use to think that when i was with DISH that
DirecTV was the devil.Well have I got news for you.:eek:

I agree with Jhon69, Dish is not the angel people think they are.

Remember that they had to remove the DNS feeds for failing to comply with FCC regulations and that they may be loosing the DVR's because of copyright issues with Tivo.

Well I believe(since I subbed with E* for 4 years) that I have a pretty good idea what
Charlie Ergen is about.He's an ex poker player that is very good with smoke&mirrors.His latest battle with CourTV you might think he won(because CourTV is now in Top200) but you should wait till on Feb.1,2008 with the next price increase to verify that decision.I use to think that when i was with DISH that

Well said,I had E* for 2 years and that was enough for me.After that I could not get out of Charlie-World fast enough.Man how much did that dude get paid for that atta-boy Charlie spoof ????????:confused: :confused: :confused:

Hmm so what your saying DishSubLA is when you subscribe to E* its like answering those ads that say, "Cant sleep come to XX Hospital and we will help you. Come in for your free consultation"

Im starting to get E* subs. So receiving buggy E* equipment is ok because its cutting edge. Thats funny because many D* subs get ridiculed in this forum for sticking it out with D* yet here you are stating that it is pretty much an accepted E* practice.

One last question for you DishSubLA when exactly did you leave the PR office of "the irrepressible, often called "feisty" by the press, CEO, Chairman, and Founder of Dish Network, Mr. Charles Ergan " Holy PSA.

They are all evil, my friend; just different flavors.

Hmm so what your saying DishSubLA is when you subscribe to E* its like answering those ads that say, "Cant sleep come to XX Hospital and we will help you. Come in for your free consultation"

Im starting to get E* subs. So receiving buggy E* equipment is ok because its cutting edge. Thats funny because many D* subs get ridiculed in this forum for sticking it out with D* yet here you are stating that it is pretty much an accepted E* practice.

One last question for you DishSubLA when exactly did you leave the PR office of "the irrepressible, often called "feisty" by the press, CEO, Chairman, and Founder of Dish Network, Mr. Charles Ergan " Holy PSA.

Funny, I never said Dish or Ergan were angles. Nor did I remark on the moral standards of Direct TV owner and mega media mogul chief, Rupert Murdoch, who has had several former business associates and others who have dealt with him in what was supposed to be a position of trust, go on camera and call him names, including liar. PLEASE! Someone wanted to know why there were so many more people at the Dish area; I offered some reasons. Ironically, I was thinking not the kindest of thoughts about Dish Network when I wrote the response to the question. Look, it does not matter if you, me or anyone else likes it or not, Ergan outlasted all the big-money corporations on the DBS scene in the 90's and made DBS what it is today. It says next to nothing about his ethics or morality, just his business savvy. Just because one may not like the truth doesn't mean it isn't true. In other words, there are a lot of brilliant, supremely intelligent, capable, competent people we may not like, just like there are horrible butchers of history who also possessed desirable human attributes such as great intellect, charisma, connection with his people, and were far from stupid. It seems many people will continue to internalize objectivity. And how many times will Direct TV have changed hands when the latest sell off closes? It would seem to affirm Ergan's superior business savvy. Now, that statement is not cheer leading. That was observation followed by a sound conclusion. If you feel emotional after having read that, then you are internalizing: putting emotions were there were none. I could not care less who is the better or best businessman:)

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts