Why does the DVR record duplicate episodes if I set Series Record to First-Run Only?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tommy013

Original poster
Jul 12, 2012
Portland, OR
I just turned on the DVR menu for the first time in a week or so. I've set 'CNBC SportsBiz' to do a series record where only first-run episodes are recorded. 11 episodes recorded but only two were unique episodes. I seem to run into this problem only with similar sports-related shows.

I assume the culprit is the TV Guide information associated with the shows not being as rich as it could be, which would make it a difficult problem for me to solve. Any suggestions?

i had a weird problem that is similar. i set up breaking bad to only record first run since the season is about to start up again, and it recorded an episode from season 3 in the middle of the night a few days ago

Check the info on the program. If there is no actual "episode date" and instead has nothing or just a generic one (like 2011) it will record regardless of settings

I've got a show like that. In the info it gives a general description and says "1 hour"...no date given. It records both times its on

I just turned on the DVR menu for the first time in a week or so. I've set 'CNBC SportsBiz' to do a series record where only first-run episodes are recorded. 11 episodes recorded but only two were unique episodes. I seem to run into this problem only with similar sports-related shows.

I assume the culprit is the TV Guide information associated with the shows not being as rich as it could be, which would make it a difficult problem for me to solve. Any suggestions?

:welcome to Satelliteguys!

Sometimes the information in the guide doesn't show episodes as repeats even though they are. It's an ongoing issue.

Thanks for the replies folks. Because of the nature of the show and similar shows, as well as the channels they are on, setting up a manual record for a specific channel/time doesn't help as start times shift and sometimes get pre-empted by live sports/events. C'est la via. Again, I appreciate the feedback!

Just like a few shows I record are on at 8 pm and 9 pm and repeat at 11 pm and 12 am. I set up the timer to record the 11pm and 12 am episodes, but since the shows don't have an air date it records the 8 pm and 9 pm episodes instead.

It's annoying and happens a lot. In all the years I've used DVRs, this has never happened until signing up with Direct the last few months. Not really a good excuse for it to happen since it didn't even happen in the tech's infancy. Get it fixed.

Many times I'll look at a show in series manager, and it shows +10 recordings, for a show that is once a week, but it NEVER actually records the dups.

It may happen once a week, if that much for me and my HR34.

It's annoying and happens a lot. In all the years I've used DVRs, this has never happened until signing up with Direct the last few months. Not really a good excuse for it to happen since it didn't even happen in the tech's infancy. Get it fixed.

its not the DVR...its the guide info they (Directv) get from Tribune. If there is no episode air date listed it will record the episode as a precaution

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts