Why does VOOM insist on getting my email address?

qwacker2

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2004
I called VOOM customer service last night, and after my phone number, the first thing they wanted was an email address to verify the account "for my protection". Since I have several, I said I didn't know, but volunteered my account number - She wasn't interested. After asking again (and my refusing again), the CSR took my name and address and went on.

I called back today to verify what the first CSR had said (second opinion), and this guy pulled the same routine. I told him I didn't know, and offered other info to "verify my account". He insisted he couldn't proceed until he had my email address. He even offered to take all my email addresses, since I wasn't sure which one I'd set up the account under. I told him he didn't need it, but after his third request, I just told him I'd call back for someone else who didn't need that information and hung up.

Again, the first info they asked for was an email address. This time, I said I didn't have one, which was perfectly acceptable. I guess this verified my account just fine.

<retorical question ON>
Certainly is suspicious - why would VOOM be so interested in gathering email addresses? I haven't checked the VOOm requirements lately, but it seems you can't have service unless you have an email address.
<retorical question OFF>

Another bizarre CSR episode. Reminds me of the line from Rain Man where Tom Cruise tells Dustin Hoffman to go to bed earlier than what he was used to at Wallbrook Institute. "Yeah--well, new rules".

Tell him you don't have email and if he insists you gave him one previously, tell him you no longer have internet access.