Why is Dish shutting down the 721?

Is there something that someone can do with this Linux source code to use this receiver in some way after it is no longer able to be used with Dish Network? Can it be turned into a standalone DVR?
No question - but if more then standard Linux parts will be released, I'm not asking for decryption part, just other drivers/API what control tuners and process open stream.

I received the 522 a couple of days ago and installed it. It is working great. However, a couple of days after unplugging the 721 from the satellite I started getting a message while trying to view the stuff I recorded earlier on the 721. A few seconds after pressing the PVR button I receive this message "acquiring data from satellite. Please wait...". So if I don't select a recorded event really fast I get stuck on this screen and have to press the power button to get out of it. So how do I get past this screen without powering the 721 off?

The answer that Sluggo gave you was correct, if they argue have them read the buisness rules in the dicontinued reciever program (located on the home page of CSC web)...

The answer that Sluggo gave you was correct, if they argue have them read the buisness rules in the dicontinued reciever program (located on the home page of CSC web)...

Is that documentation available to the outside world?
Can you provide a link either external or and internal link that could be given to a CSR.

Dish Network has told me in the past that they were not allowed to view webpages and were not allowed to call out. I imagine Dish Network blocks things that would interrupt their work.

Dish Network has told me in the past that they were not allowed to view webpages and were not allowed to call out.

If it's an internal web site then the link would be viewable to the CSR. Giving them a specific link would be faster/easier than asking them to find some random document.

I have lots of links to internal pages at work that can be difficult to find.

Is Dish Network allowing these 721's to be activated anymore? What if I want to sell the 721 after deactivating it to switch it out to a 522 under their promotion? Do they flag the receiver to not allow it to be activated againby someone else?

Is Dish Network allowing these 721's to be activated anymore? What if I want to sell the 721 after deactivating it to switch it out to a 522 under their promotion? Do they flag the receiver to not allow it to be activated againby someone else?

Different reports on that - some say 721 cannot be reactivated by anyone else, some say cannot be reactivated period, some say it can be reactivated.

If you want to pull a fast one on someone by selling it to them, instead why don't you apply to be a Wall Street CEO ? Might as well con someone for $20billion rather than just $20...

*whistles* Such a good boy! Such a good boy! *pats leg* Now fetch! :rolleyes:

Is that documentation available to the outside world?
Can you provide a link either external or and internal link that could be given to a CSR.

Um no. The first rule of Fight Club is, you do not talk about Fight Club!

Internal documents are only available within inter-company networks. YOU! are not a member of Fight Club.

If you can find a CSR low on brains with no desire to stay employed though, you might get them to send you a copy. There are plenty of them around.

Well, I just shipped back my 721. The ViP722 that replaced it seems to be working well. Sad day.

Different reports on that - some say 721 cannot be reactivated by anyone else, some say cannot be reactivated period, some say it can be reactivated.

If you want to pull a fast one on someone by selling it to them, instead why don't you apply to be a Wall Street CEO ? Might as well con someone for $20billion rather than just $20...

I don't want to rip someone off, that is why I asked if it could be reactivated by someone else. I figure they would make it difficult if not impossible.

I don't want to rip someone off, that is why I asked if it could be reactivated by someone else. I figure they would make it difficult if not impossible.

You used the word "sell".

Dish is replacing the receiver because it is discontinued, and will not be updated to work with the new smartcards.

The only reason why someone would buy it, would be that they do not understand that.

I have an owned 7200 that I keep as a backup. If I reactivate, will Dish send a replacement that I own, or will I have to lease it? If it's leased, it probably wouldn't be worth it to replace it with the monthly fees I would have to pay(lease,dvr). If it's owned, I could still keep it as a backup without having to pay fees, which is how I am using(or currently not using) the 7200.

Hmm - that is probably why Dish is only giving out leased receivers as replacements.

You have these old, obsolete satellite receivers that people own - they have gotten years of use out of them, and they may be close to failing.

Dish is perfectly willing to replace that old receiver with the latest model equivalent receiver - but they only want to do that for people who are using the receivers to get programming.

If they replace with the latest model receiver on an "owned" basis, then there is nothing preventing people from immediately selling them on ebay, rather than using them to get programming.

The more I think about it, the more likely it seems that is the reason. Dish would lose several hundred dollars of manufacturing cost - for no return.

PS I received a 522 for my 721. It is exactly the same front as the 721, except black, and I am already using the second output. The same remote and same Onscreen interface as the 622 makes it easier for the family (no more having to press "stop" to get out of playback).

My monthly bill is exactly the same - the $5 "additional receiver fee" now has a different name.

Hmm - that is probably why Dish is only giving out leased receivers as replacements.

You have these old, obsolete satellite receivers that people own - they have gotten years of use out of them, and they may be close to failing.

Dish is perfectly willing to replace that old receiver with the latest model equivalent receiver - but they only want to do that for people who are using the receivers to get programming.

If they replace with the latest model receiver on an "owned" basis, then there is nothing preventing people from immediately selling them on ebay, rather than using them to get programming.

The more I think about it, the more likely it seems that is the reason. Dish would lose several hundred dollars of manufacturing cost - for no return.

PS I received a 522 for my 721. It is exactly the same front as the 721, except black, and I am already using the second output. The same remote and same Onscreen interface as the 622 makes it easier for the family (no more having to press "stop" to get out of playback).

My monthly bill is exactly the same - the $5 "additional receiver fee" now has a different name.

Don't you also now have a DVR fee that you did not have with the 721?

Most of the receivers are not close to failing and would last many more years, they are discontinuing service and support to those receivers.

They are waiving that DVR fee and the second tuner additional outlet fee even if no phone line is connected to the receiver. I got an email stating that I would never get charged this fee in case they try to pull a quick one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts