Why is my Hopper HD 8% full with 5 recordings?

I currently have 55 recordings taking up 15% on my hard drive. I know it can hold up to 400 recordings. I use to have the 922 and the hard drive was the same size.

For those of you complaining about the wasted hard drive space, you can buy an EHD if you need more. It's not your purchased receiver so there is no sense complaining about it.

It's not your purchased receiver so there is no sense complaining about it.
Sure there is. For one thing, it may serve to let Dish know that the allocation is a little extreme (75% of hdd space?!!) And for another, they can see that we don't appreciate marketing bullship that is so egregiously misleading. And, for another, it feels good to get it off our collective chest.

GaryPen said:
Sure there is. For one thing, it may serve to let Dish know that the allocation is a little extreme (75% of hdd space?!!) And for another, they can see that we don't appreciate marketing bullship that is so egregiously misleading. And, for another, it feels good to get it off our collective chest.

I'm going to have to argue the misleading portion in your comment. The Hopper does in fact have a 2 TB hard drive. Stating this is not misleading. It's a central part of the machine. Just because you or I don't get to dictate how it's put to use doesn't nullify it's existence. It's there and advertising that it's there is a statement of fact so that throws misleading out the window (let alone egregiously misleading).

That aside, I do wish the allocation had been more along the lines of 1TB user, 500-750GB PTAT (extra space for the hopefully fiture expansion of PTAT to all HD locals on the transponder) and 250-500GB Dish VOD (zero would work well for me, but I recognize that Dish will always want to reserve some space for this type of service). But, that would be my preference. I'm sure others have differing preferences.

I'm going to have to argue the misleading portion in your comment. The Hopper does in fact have a 2 TB hard drive. Stating this is not misleading. It's a central part of the machine. Just because you or I don't get to dictate how it's put to use doesn't nullify it's existence. It's there and advertising that it's there is a statement of fact so that throws misleading out the window (let alone egregiously misleading).

Well, if my car had listed a v-8 320hp motor, but the dealer never stated that you only get to use 140hp and that the on board computer cut half the cylinders off at 45mph or faster, I would call FOUL! If I had been an average Joe and never read up on the Hopper or searched any info, I would never have known about these "Misleading" selling points by Dish!

OMG, this isn't a car. It's becoming apparent some can't deal with change. There is nothing misleading, nothing. There is a 2TB hard drive available for recording. Period. Individual recordings have a part of that, you need more, use an EHD. Don't want to use an EHD get Comcast, Charter or whatever because the Dish systems, even before the Hopper uses an EHD for more storage space. Then there is space for the PTAT that you ALSO can record to for those recording, so you do have more than 500GB when you use that.. If Dish did what some are suggesting, allow use of that space too, now that might be misleading the SAME people now complaining would be then. You go to record PTAT say 1/2 hour before prime time, and you can't because you either have to erase programs, or transfer them to the EHD, but that might take you past the beginning of prime time. Then you have the VOD allocation, if you use VOD, then you have access to that part of the hard drive. So DISH is not misleading, never said in anything or even to me implied you could use the whole or even most of the hard drive for your individual recordings.
You can quibble about the exact amount of allocation, but that's what it is, quibbling, you CAN use most of the hard drive, for different things.

I can only guess the Hopper system accesses the EHD in a different way than the VIP system does, based on not seeing it online, and some other anomalies posted. One would hope they get that fixed, I don't blame someone wanting to be able to access that remotely.

Last edited:
Ok, let's focus on the 250 HD hours claim. It appears they are counting PTAT recordings as well, considering the reported remaining space people have been posting...

I did not say it was a lie. Yes. There is a 2TB hdd. They are not lying. However, as there is nothing clearly stated in the marketing material about only 500GB being available for recording, it is indeed misleading.

OMG, this isn't a car. It's becoming apparent some can't deal with change. There is nothing misleading, nothing. There is a 2TB hard drive available for recording. Period. Individual recordings have a part of that, you need more, use an EHD. Don't want to use an EHD get Comcast, Charter or whatever because the Dish systems, even before the Hopper uses an EHD for more storage space. Then there is space for the PTAT that you ALSO can record to for those recording, so you do have more than 500GB when you use that.. ...

You can quibble about the exact amount of allocation, but that's what it is, quibbling, you CAN use most of the hard drive, for different things.
It has nothing to do with change. It has to do with misleading marketing hype, and people's dislike of it. My explanation of why it is misleading is above. No need to repeat it.

To you, the space allocation is minor. So, discussions about it seem like quibbling. To those who feel misled, and don't think they should have to purchase additional storage when the device is advertised with 2TB of hdd, it is a legitimate complaint and topic of discussion.

I do wish you'd stop quibbling about online access to your EHD, though. What a minor, unimportant, trivial thing to worry about. Why should Dish care about you accessing something they did not build, sell, or lease to you? You really need to deal with change better. (See what I did there?)

It is called a "Metaphor"
What is called a metaphor? The car thing? If so, you are wrong. It's called an analogy.

They can't reallocate PTAT space to user recordings, because it has to be available for PTAT to be turned back on. Just part of the design that makes PTAT a versatile system.

They can't reallocate PTAT space to user recordings, because it has to be available for PTAT to be turned back on. Just part of the design that makes PTAT a versatile system.

And why I say some people just can't adapt or accept change. PTAT is new, a change. It needs it's own space to be useful.

It would be more versatile, if the space became available when you disabled it.

I previously explained what they could do for those who wanted to re-enable when there was insufficient space.

This is my thought also. It would be too big of a potential problem for people who turn it off, then can't turn it back on due to lack of space.

I think the portion assigned to PTAT is fine and reasonable. The biggest problem in space allocation is, in my opinion, the drastic amount Dish reserves for their own purposes. 1TB of space is simply NOT needed for that purpose. (And yes, I know it is their design and they can do what they wish with it, but seriously, 1 full TB?):rolleyes:

This is my thought also. It would be too big of a potential problem for people who turn it off, then can't turn it back on due to lack of space.

I think the portion assigned to PTAT is fine and reasonable. The biggest problem in space allocation is, in my opinion, the drastic amount Dish reserves for their own purposes. 1TB of space is simply NOT needed for that purpose. (And yes, I know it is their design and they can do what they wish with it, but seriously, 1 full TB?):rolleyes:

You need to have eight nights of recording time available at any given time. The complaints would be non stop, and I would agree with them, to have Dish not allocate a specific space for PTAT would be a disaster. People don't want "warnings," they want to know they can turn on PTAT and be done. As long as you watch or move recordings before the 9th night, you are all set. I too think that space is probably spot on.

As for the 1 TB for the VOD and other Dish things, that's what I meant by quibbling. There is no exact number to make it "correct." Maybe another 250 could be allocated to the individual recordings, but some might say still not enough. Dish might feel they just need that space. I also agree it does seem 1 TB is alot for that purpose. Maybe a future software upgrade can change the allocation for those that want it. That way it could satisfy those who don't and have no intention of using the PTAT, or not using the VOD space.

i really don't understand why people are vehemently defending dish on the HDD partition issue. Fine, you can say its appropriate, you can see you don't mind, but to say its not misleading at all to potenital customers is just wrong. Just as Garypen has said, no one is saying they are lying, there is a 2tb drive in there, but it is misleading. I see a big sh*t storm coming over this and the 6 recordings claim and having 4 tvs hooked up to this thing. I have read a couple of installers already saying people have been complaining thinking they could watch live tv on all 4 tvs. And saying just get a EHD? really, like someone should have to go out and spend another $100 or more just to get what they thought they were getting? In their adverts they say 2tb, more than any other provider, so most people would compare to direct, fios, cable and have 2tb in their head and see everyone else has 500gb or less, 1tb for direct, and think, wow dish has 2x or more than all the other guys. That's why it is misleading, there is no way around that. People will think they have all that space when in fact 75% of it is out of their control. If it was just 25% then that's fine, most people know from computers you don't get all the space in an hdd, some is for the operating system and other stuff, but 75%, that is way too much.

That simply ignores the need for PTAT to have dedicated space. Yes, I am vehemently defending that. To seriously suggest there could be a "warning" when you go to use the PTAT is what would cause a "sh*t storm." PTAT is a major part of the Hopper and people will want to simply hit a button and have it set. When you say you only have 500GB that ignores how much recording is done from the Networks at night, in most cases alot. So you are ignoring all that space where a good portion of recording is taking place, and where programs can stay there for eight days without being deleted. Space not needed for the individual recordings, at least not like it was with the VIP series. That's a very important distinction when looking at allocated space. If you are among the few that never records network TV, but still want the features of the Hopper/whole home, if the allocated space is not enough, yes, there is the EHD.

The EHD is fast becoming an integral part of the Dish system, Hopper or VIP. I think suggesting using one is wise for a couple of reasons, to make it sound like you are asking someone to do something outrageous is not really on target either. No you shouldn't have to, but I don't think you do. As is pointed out here often and correctly from time to time, we are often power users compared to most. Many users won't even realize the space allocations or ever really be concerned with running out of space. Dish is seeing the DVR hard drive more for holding programs recently recorded and to be watched in a reasonable amount of time, and the EHD more for those programs/movies you want to save or watch at a much later time. That shows in how most everyone says Dish has the use of an EHD down better than others. You could say Dish has the EHD for the power users among us.

As for the rest of the space for VOD etc, I can see room for change. (Which I already said in other posts) I think a good argument can be made some of that is too much. I think if there is a place to make a change, it all comes down to the VOD space, not the PTAT space.
In general, a family that is routinely using up the hard drive space, is probably a family that needs two Hoppers anyway for more tuners, giving them double the space. A household that needs no more than one Hopper probably has enough space. Yes, always the exceptions.
And to be fair, it's there, having two Hoppers where the VOD space really jumps out as being too much.

You mentioned Dish comparing their drive size to others. If you do use the features provided by any provider, and alot of people certainly do - VOD, regular recording of shows including Network, etc.. who can hold more programming, Dish or them? To me that's the point. Only looking at the individual recordings and ignoring Network recording and VOD ignores what alot of customers will use.

You mention something that I have seen posted before, and it is a good point. I think three Joeys on one Hopper is fine if one room is for very occasional use. But if all Joeys are in rooms that get used to any degree, there is probably going to be disappointment. That's because you can't watch something live on one Joey, different than anyone else is, even if nothing is recording. Since Dish won't let you rectify that with a VIP receiver instead of a Joey in the set-up, most people won't realize that at first. If CSR's (other than here!) were well trained, they could explain that to potential customers. Like that's going to happen.......

Last edited:
Was the Hopper not always set to be up to 2 or more per house? If yes, and they were always planned to sometime be tied together so the whole house sees BOTH Hoppers, then why in hell have BOTH
of them set to record PTAT and use the HD space? Same goes for VOD. I still think IMO it should be a user option!

A user can turn PTAT on at any time so that space has to be available for it. Otherwise, imagine the uproar when someone is using that space for their recordings and someone else in the house turns on PTAT.
This is manageable. When the user disables PTAT, warn them of future consequences, specifically that if they decide to turn it on later, there better be room. Later, if a user tries to turn it on and there's insufficient space, tell the user "There is insufficient disk space to enable PTAT. Please delete or archive to EHD in order to increase available space...".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)