Why is my Hopper HD 8% full with 5 recordings?

So What I am saying, Dish has 500hrs of HD recording, or 250hrs of HD individual recording, not including all the Network recording you could do with PTAT, and not including any of the VOD space. Fios has 80hrs of SD recording........
All that matters to the average customer (average meaning they do not feel some emotional bond to Dish) is the individual recording space, as that is what they control and interact with. And, 250 hours of HD programs on an advertised 2GB drive will seem disappointing to those customers.

OTOH, if Dish were to reserve a more reasonable 50% of hdd space for VOD and PTAT, raising the user partition to be able to record up to 500 hours of HD programs, I would imagine that most subscribers, save a few perpetual whiners who are never pleased by anything, would be content with that number. I would certainly view it as acceptable, if just barely so.

here is how i would say it to make it more clear.
Hooper:
250 hours of hd recording plus PTAT which gives you access to 8 days of programing from NBC, Fox, CBS and ABC. And instant access to 2,000 of your favorite movies and shows from Dish On Demand (or whatever they call it).

Don't even mention the HDD size, just say what it does, since 75% of the HDD is not user accessible and is needed to provide a usable on demand service and PTAT.

Jonhern said:
I do think most people would prefer the way d does it. it would work better for the guy who has two tvs posting in this thread that came from 2 722s to the hopper joey and does not like it. its the same price as the hopper joey, but you get 5 instead of 3 tuners and 1tb instead of 500gb. and the second tv has its own tuner as well for live tv. when you get past the 1hopper/1joey then even more would prefer the d system because if you do what dish says and have 4tvs with 1 hopper and 3 joeys then that creates a whole other set of issues.

Why wouldn't people go 2H and 2J? Same monthly price as 1H and 3J, with double the tuners to go around. If someone chose 1 and 3 vs 2 and 2, and then weren't satisfied, they'd only have themselves to blame for not understanding their individual needs and doing their homework.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Why wouldn't people go 2H and 2J? Same monthly price as 1H and 3J, with double the tuners to go around. If someone chose 1 and 3 vs 2 and 2, and then weren't satisfied, they'd only have themselves to blame for not understanding their individual needs and doing their homework.

dish is selling it as a 4 tv solution.

Because MOST people are not on this forum, so they do not understand what the Hopper can and can't do beyond what the dish CSR tells them. Also, i am sure that the Joey is much cheaper then the Hopper to make, so dish isn't pushing Two hopper setups, and then there is the fact that some might not want to shell out another $100

Allamand said:
Because MOST people are not on this forum, so they do not understand what the Hopper can and can't do beyond what the dish CSR tells them. Also, i am sure that the Joey is much cheaper then the Hopper to make, so dish isn't pushing Two hopper setups, and then there is the fact that some might not want to shell out another $100

All that falls under not doing their homework. Well except for the not wanting to pay the extra $100, but if that's there reason for not getting a second Hopper, then they don't get to complain because it's a choice they made.

All that falls under not doing their homework. Well except for the not wanting to pay the extra $100, but if that's there reason for not getting a second Hopper, then they don't get to complain because it's a choice they made.
it really isn't so simple....

most CSRs follow scripts... you have 4 tvs?... of course you need 1H/3J

and that's where most customers are getting their information. Going directly to a company and contacting their customer service should be enough.

Go look on the Dish website and setup a new install with 4 TVs and see what it shows... there is no option for two hoppers in that configuration... lol

Educating the customer about what they need is entirely on Dish. It's a complex system and it's on Dish to simplify it and get the information out. Coming to a forum for extra info should be optional.

sparc said:

and that's where most customers are getting their information. Going directly to a company and contacting their customer service should be enough.

Go look on the Dish website and setup a new install with 4 TVs and see what it shows... there is no option for two hoppers in that configuration... lol

Educating the customer about what they need is entirely on Dish. It's a complex system and it's on Dish to simplify it and get the information out. Coming to a forum for extra info should be optional.

Sorry, but I don't buy that. You want to set up a Dish system, great. But you have to do your homework. You have to know what your needs are and ask questions to see if what is being proposed meets your needs. You don't have to ask too many questions before you realize that one hopper only has three tuners and cannot provide live tv to four different TVs at the same time. At that point you say, "hold on, that doesn't work for my set up, are there any other options?".

There's plenty of information out there, if people don't choose to inform themselves before they enter into a two year agreement, then that's their problem. We're talking basic functionality here, not advanced features. The one exception to this is if someone is given wrong info by Dish (I.e. the gentleman who in another thread reports that he was told the Joey was capable of exactly the same things as a Hopper).

And of course Dish would prefer to service 4 TVs with one Hopper and three Joeys, that's less equipment costs they incur up front for the same monthly payment from the customer. And for some individuals (where the extra TVs aren't all on at the same time) that could work. But, at that point, the consumer has to compare what is offered to their needs and either get something that works for them or decline Dish's offer altogether.

As for the CSRs saying "of course you need..." why would anyone think that a CSR would have a better idea of their household's TV viewing habits than they themselves have?

Getting new receivers and service is akin to any other major purchase, consumers have to do their homework first.

yep, you can't change the setup or get the vip receivers unless you have one tv, then it gives you a 612. If you add another one it adds a hopper, but its $199 for a second hopper, not $99.

There's plenty of information out there, if people don't choose to inform themselves before they enter into a two year agreement, then that's their problem. We're talking basic functionality here, not advanced features. The one exception to this is if someone is given wrong info by Dish (I.e. the gentleman who in another thread reports that he was told the Joey was capable of exactly the same things as a Hopper).

Ya right, plenty of WRONG info! How does that help the average person down the road? If a company wants to keep customers, why not be up front! Well, I guess when you pull them in with a 2 year contact it does not matter. It is all about the money! I seen a new Hopper commercial today and they all talk about recording 6 shows at once, there was a 2 second overly stated only if using PTAT, I had to pause it to see it.. what a sham..

Allamand said:
Ya right, plenty of WRONG info! How does that help the average person down the road? If a company wants to keep customers, why not be up front! Well, I guess when you pull them in with a 2 year contact it does not matter. It is all about the money! I seen a new Hopper commercial today and they all talk about recording 6 shows at once, there was a 2 second overly stated only if using PTAT, I had to pause it to see it.. what a sham..

Yes because this site is full of wrong info. Your argument is ridiculous. Should consumers expect to get the best possible deal for their situation if they walk into a car dealership without doing any homework beforehand? Or walking into an electronics store and simply telling someone they want a camcorder?

Sure it'd be great if that were how things worked, but companies are out to make money. It's up to consumers to figure out what's in their own best interests.

Yeah when i first heard about it after CES I was pretty excited, i remember reading about it on my phone and showing my dad, hey look they are going to have a new box and it can record 6 things and you will have the same space you do now, 2tb, but all 4 tvs can watch the dvr and have dvr functions, not just the two you have now. At that time I thought I could keep my 722k with the hopper, and use 1 hopper and 3 joeys for the rest of the house. Can't do that. I wanted to do something since in the living there are problems during the day when my dad is recording soccer games and my mom wants to watch a show, can't do that with the 211k so i thought the hopper would fix that, it would during the day, but at night it would have made things worse. And then the whole partition of the dvr, and the more i looked at it the more the hopper seemed like too many compromises. Luckily I come here so I found out about all those things, most people don't come here until after they have problems.

It's up to consumers to figure out what's in their own best interests.

I agree with this statement one thousand percent! :up :clap

However, having said that, I don't feel that it is acceptable for any company to intentionally mislead consumers (not saying Dish does or doesn't, not getting into that fight...just making a general observation). However, having poorly trained customer service reps who don't know the products/specs/prices/etc...is inexcusable. Imagine what a great CSR group we'd have if we just took the Sat Guys members and fielded calls/chats about the Hopper and Dish services/pricing! We'd probably be better and give more consistent answers than you get from their actual employees (DIRT excluded, of course). And that is just sad!

However, having said that, I don't feel that it is acceptable for any company to intentionally mislead consumers (not saying Dish does or doesn't, not getting into that fight...just making a general observation). However, having poorly trained customer service reps who don't know the products/specs/prices/etc...is inexcusable. Imagine what a great CSR group we'd have if we just took the Sat Guys members and fielded calls/chats about the Hopper and Dish services/pricing! We'd probably be better and give more consistent answers than you get from their actual employees (DIRT excluded, of course). And that is just sad!

+100%

Coach Knight said:

+1