Why no Locals in Laredo?

torp74

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
South Texas
Can anyone tell me why I can't get local channels here in Laredo, Texas? The flyer I received proclaimed local channels, the CDR on the phone said locals would cost me $5. When the installer shower up he informed me that I couldn't get local channels here. So I asked him if I could get San Antonio local channels (125 miles north), he says no. So here I am stuck with no locals, no network feeds nothing. Why the heck can't I get the San Antonio locals here??

torp74

Torp74,

Welcome to Satelliteguys.US.

The short answer to the question: Why can't I get San Antonio locals on Dish when I live in Loredo?

Because the The program producers, distributors, Networks, stations, Feferal Government (Congress Presidents [Clinton and Bush 2], the FCC as mandated by Congress and the Federal Court System) said NO!

Really. That's the answer.

Your loical stations have an exclusive (as into exclude all others) agreement with the network to serve a specific area. If you are in that area, the station has exclusive rights to your eye balls for the programming from that network.

Similar rules apply to the syndicated programming they air as well.

So that covers NBC and CBS which are served by KGNS TV 8 NBC/CW 15.2, KOFX 39 (FOX) and KVTV TV 13 CBS

The laws regarding this are very complicated since the have evolved over the last two decades splitting off the laws evolving for decades before that involving cable retransmission of distant channels. There are several threads about this if you do a search for "distant local" here on the forum.

See ya
Tony

Locals are coming to Laredo in 2008 (in SD). SInce we don't have an ABC affiliate here, I might just "move"to SA.

torp

Possible update on USA Network HD

Puerto Rico Local Channel WAPA and DIsh in Contract Dispute!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)