Why not to use a shovel on a dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ken2400

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 4, 2004
Central NY State
I was sent this picture of a dish I helped install back in the summer and it just made me SICK.
How do you help people that do this to remove snow.
Two or three panels I can see BUT six is too much.
10' dish

Attachments

• 10footdish.jpg
    10footdish.jpg
    418.3 KB · Views: 380
I used a dollar store broom the first time but now use one of these (minus the scraper on the handle) and it does a nice job. I push/pull the snow off gently with the rubber squeegee side then use the stiff bristles to sweep the snow away or push it through the mesh. :) Amazon product ASIN B0016GRTVU

Broom here also along with running my dishes to the West limit when the snow starts. That helps keep a fair amount of it off and if it gets deep enough, some of it will actually fall off if it's a fine powdery type of snow.

If skyvision is pricey, I know expanded metal sheets are available through a local metal/welding/fabrication shop (but think that would also be pricey) Would require removing a 'good' panel to serve as a template for cutting. (The cuts along the sides are not straight) Can't hurt anything by inquiring

You can't fix stupid. If he didn't get a clue after the first bit of damage, he's a lost cause.

I use a small poly(plastic) shrub rake. Works perfectly, and can't damage the dish.

Reactions: pdiddy
:(

There is no need to remove that little amount of snow. I doubt that there was any difference in signal quality and maybe 10-15 lbs of weight? Now 6- 12" or more, I would get out the blower or broom.

I wonder if he takes the shovel to his car as well?

Reactions: polgyver
Something is not right with that guys mind.

So the next question is where can I buy replacement panels for a 10' dish?
Thanks

Depends which brand it is as you want the replacement panels to match up.

Surprised how he was able to damage so many panels as most mesh dishes back in the day were designed to be fairly resilient to light abuse.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)