Why so sloooooooow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

putrfixr

Sep 11, 2003
This place sure has slowed down dramatically on dial-up over the past week.

It's so slow on dial-up that it's pretty much useless. It's slower than Dish solving software problems.

Tried 3 different computers at 3 different locations over 3 different dial-up ISPs and it is the same.

Not everyone is on broadband ... what's the deal?

xmas background, nice little holiday tidbits, everything to make the holidays a little bit more special. maybe it's a blessing of some sorts. come the turn of the year...maybe dialup users might want to think of internet alternatives. Heck, satellite isps are a tad better than dialup.

Thanks for your input ...

techdood said:
...maybe dialup users might want to think of internet alternatives. Heck, satellite isps are a tad better than dialup.

A larger percentage of the US is still(?) on dial-up than broadband.

As an EX-Starband user let me tell you firsthand, satellite is the last of the sensible alternatives for internet access. Unreliable, the worst customer service I've ever seen, and EXPENSIVE to boot.

There's an old axiom on the net ... "if I can move my mouse to STOP before your page loads then I'll never see it". My question was not "why is dial-up slower than broadband" I was asking a specific question about "why THIS site is DRAMATICALLY slower than it was days ago" and could something be done about it.

I'll be happy to move to DSL on your dime :)

Thanks for your input.

If you are using dial-up connection, CLICK HERE to switch to the Classic SatelliteGuys Forum view. This will speed up your access dramatically!

Already tried that ...

Ilya said:
If you are using dial-up connection, CLICK HERE to switch to the Classic SatelliteGuys Forum view. This will speed up your access dramatically!

When I saw the "Christmas View" I knew it was eating bandwidth so I changed back to the "classic view". Not any quicker.

If this gets any slower I'm gonna get out and walk on ahead!

Working great here on both views, and yesterday I was on Dialup and it was coming up faster then other satellite sites.

I was connected over a 19.2 kBaud dial-up. The Holiday view was too slow for me. So, I switched to the classic view and that made a huge improvement.

I do use the Holiday view when connected via broadband! ;)

Scott Greczkowski said:
The Holiday View is going away tonight. :) (Figured I would keep it up for one more day)
I forgot about the holiday view, I clicked on the link for classic and have been there on my pc's since.... no problems on speed here either, wireless suppossedly 386k but more like around 200k....

I haven't had a problem with the site since it went down the other day....

I beg to differ ...

Scott Greczkowski said:
... yesterday I was on Dialup and it was coming up faster then other satellite sites.

With respect Scott, two "other satellite sites" run DRAMATICALLY faster on dial-up than this site does even WITHOUT the Christmas view.

Again, tried 3 different computers at 3 different physical locations through 3 different dial-up ISPs.

Sorry, working great here and for everyone else, your the only one mentioning a problem.

I do need to put the PHP accelerator back in which will speed things up a little more but other then that all looks very good.

Not for me.

Out of the 3 other sites I visit, satguys is the fastest.

Status
Not open for further replies.