Why wont my 522 view the HD channels?

frodo

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2004
Portland, Or
I know I cant see the HD stuff on my 522 but it would be nice to at least view them on the guide and flip to them before i have to switch to my 811 to view the HD. Is this possible?

frodo said:
I know I cant see the HD stuff on my 522 but it would be nice to at least view them on the guide and flip to them before i have to switch to my 811 to view the HD. Is this possible?
Not at this time, with any Dish SD receiver.

Dish doesn't want its millions of SD customers to call up asking why they can't tune in channel 942x only to be told that the HD tuner. Just too much work for the CSRs.

For me it would make to sense to have the channels listed, and a Pop window explaining that you need a HD STB to view this channel. Like they use the pop ups for League Pass/MBL:EI warnings.

I'll venture forth this; If they integrated the HD channels into the program guide on SD receivers, they would crash and be unstable.

the HD signal can't cant be decoded by a SD reciever. an SD reciever wont even reconize an HD signal. Dish is currently runing HD on 110 tran 13 & 17, bring up your signal strength on a SD reciver and look at those strengths... zero

Damian_1999 said:
the HD signal can't cant be decoded by a SD reciever. an SD reciever wont even reconize an HD signal. Dish is currently runing HD on 110 tran 13 & 17, bring up your signal strength on a SD reciver and look at those strengths... zero

You're preachin' to the choir, brother. We get it. ;)

He knows an SD receiver can't decode Hd. But the receive could still see the program guide, which is what this guy wants. Cable shows the digital channels on their SD guides, and when they click on it, it says call to order, it may be an interesting way to intice them to upgrade to HD...

Semi-related, I have also suggested to Sky Angel VP that they should want to make their channels visible in the guide, so that anyone with 61.5 would see that they are there, it would be an enticement for people to subscribe. Only problem being that it says call Dish to subscribe and E* would probably not tolerate SA prospective customers calling in and having to tell them to call SA instead.

Then again, if the HD channels were listed in everyone's guide it might actually reduce the number of upgraders, if they could see ahead of time what "no compelling content" really means.

Damian_1999 said:
the HD signal can't cant be decoded by a SD receiver. an SD receiver wont even recognize an HD signal. Dish is currently running HD on 110 tran 13 & 17, bring up your signal strength on a SD receiver and look at those strengths... zero
Technically speaking, you are not right. Newest models what using BCM4500 chip can provide HD transport stream for MPEG-2 decoder. Yes, those decoders in SD model can not handle it properly, but getting signal strength or EPG info shouldn't be a problem. I think the HD channels filtering by number range in all SD receivers.

Most here can understand that different hardware is needed to decode HD, but that is not true for the masses. It would cause way more confusion than it's worth.

Dish TV Problem & Error messages

Satellite possible in the woods?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)