Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Looks like WildBlue will be closing some beams soon.

Since the launch of WildBlue-1, WildBlue sales have continued at a record-breaking pace. As a result, we are beginning to experience new capacity constraints in certain areas of the U.S. Currently beams 131, 132 and 133 are 85% full. Because of this overwhelming demand for WildBlue broadband service, and in order to maintain maximum performance for all of our customers, we are unfortunately left with no choice but to begin our first WildBlue-1 beam suspensions.

Beginning September 1st, we will need to suspend all marketing and we will not be able to take any new orders in these three beams. Pending customers will of course be provisioned. We have prioritized this part of the country for the next software and hardware upgrades and we will notify you in advance of any additional capacity as it becomes available.

Well looks like WildBluewill have to get more space on the sats, if they are getting all these customers they should be able to upgrade there systems to handle the overflow of customers.

I have been installing a lot of WB in the last few months. I also install Dish and Directv and Hughesnet. Right now for me WB is way above Hughes.

Hey you WildBlue experts, I have a question. I have used WildBlue for over a year ($80/mo 1.5 Mbps), and the service has continually degraded. As of now I am throttled starting about 10 AM, and by noon have virtually NO service (total disconnect from the sat) until after 6 PM. Then service slowly returns until by 9 PM or so, I am back up to full connectivity. In my humble opinion I am not getting anywhere close to the "24/7 always-on connectivity" I signed up for. WildBlue tech support (yes, you can actually get them if you wait on hold for 1.5 hours), says "we are a shared service, so there is nothing that can be done." I called Hughes.net to see if they would "guarantee" connectivity, and was told NO. Is the satellite Internet access world ever going to get better? I sure hope so because I live in the boondocks of Tennessee, and satellite is the only broadband (limited though it may be) available. Thanks.

Hey you WildBlue experts, I have a question. I have used WildBlue for over a year ($80/mo 1.5 Mbps), and the service has continually degraded. As of now I am throttled starting about 10 AM, and by noon have virtually NO service (total disconnect from the sat) until after 6 PM. Then service slowly returns until by 9 PM or so, I am back up to full connectivity. In my humble opinion I am not getting anywhere close to the "24/7 always-on connectivity" I signed up for. WildBlue tech support (yes, you can actually get them if you wait on hold for 1.5 hours), says "we are a shared service, so there is nothing that can be done." I called Hughes.net to see if they would "guarantee" connectivity, and was told NO. Is the satellite Internet access world ever going to get better? I sure hope so because I live in the boondocks of Tennessee, and satellite is the only broadband (limited though it may be) available. Thanks.

all internet services face this issue. When i was on cable internet (3meg) early evening 5-7ish... my connection got terribly slow. Because thats when everyone got home in my area, and got online. Internet companies only have so much pipe and to share it among everyone on it.
As far as your service dying completely, it should never do that. And if you ever do actually get "total disconnect from the satellite" call wildblue then, cause there may be other problems involved

all internet services face this issue. When i was on cable internet (3meg) early evening 5-7ish... my connection got terribly slow. Because thats when everyone got home in my area, and got online. Internet companies only have so much pipe and to share it among everyone on it.
As far as your service dying completely, it should never do that. And if you ever do actually get "total disconnect from the satellite" call wildblue then, cause there may be other problems involved

Not all internet services face this issue...only oversold ones do.

I consistently hit my 8+ megabits on the cable modem no matter what time of day it is.

There was, at one time, a map showing what beams covered what areas. This concerns me and may mean I need to go ahead and make the leap now. Does anyone know where the map of WB's coverage is?

There was, at one time, a map showing what beams covered what areas. This concerns me and may mean I need to go ahead and make the leap now. Does anyone know where the map of WB's coverage is?

Here's one map:

Where are the WildBlue NOCs? WildBlue - dslreports.com

and another
faqs001001.jpg

Not all internet services face this issue...only oversold ones do.

I consistently hit my 8+ megabits on the cable modem no matter what time of day it is.

ok, i kind of worded that wrong... not all internet services have service drops, but all services only have so much pipe... if it gets hit hard enough, it will slow down. If you are in an area that has either a really big pipe, or not much usage, you will probably never notice a speed drop

Thanks digiblur,

That's what I was looking for. I assume in the OP that the quote referring to 131, 132, and 133 are referring to beams 31, 32, and 33 on the map you posted. Is that correct?

The map that was posted was for the Anik satellite. Beams 131, 132 and 133 are from the WildBlue-1 satellite and cover the gulf coast - the area that was devastated by Hurricane Katrina.

There is a WB-1 spotbeam map here (WildBlue Uncensored !).

I don't really have any help or answer for you, but I'll say that I don't have this problem at all. It IS a little oversensitive to rainstorms, which can be a hassle in the summer. But at that point, the modem disconnects. I've never really noticed any sort of "slowdown" while the modem is connected.

On the weather issue, it seems odd that in the summer, Wildblue is unusable nearly every afternoon due to monsoons, but Dish Network hardly ever goes out. However, in the winter, Wildblue seems to have no problem with snow storms, but Dish Network goes out when there's a light dusting on the dish.

I'm mostly happy with Wildblue, although earlier this year, I had a billing problem. I actually moved up to the $80 package from the mid-priced one, and was amazed that it actually seemed to be money well spent. Mainly on the upload front...I had trouble uploading any files over 1MB with the cheaper package due to time-outs, but with the $80 package I've uploaded 100MB FLV files to my web server with no problems.

Whats the orange box all about on 24, 28, 44 beams?

If you get find a wireless internet provider then that is a great alternative to satellite but a lot of areas still does not have that available in their area yet.

I have a local wireless company. I'm using the Motorola Canopy unit.

3mbs download
800kbs upload

Only $30 a month. I'd never pay for wildblue, it's junk.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)