Will Cable Ops take on Netflix Following Court Upset of Net Neutrallity Rules?

Ah cute the big boys dont like competition. Reminds me of the bully that use to pick on me in the 2nd grade.
A roundhouse kick to the head put an end to it. Got grounded for a while but the point was made.

If I understand your comment, you got it backwards. It's us, the consumer that could suffer. It would provide artificial competition. A less liked service could be given higher speeds, while the preferred Netflix does not. As it is now, if a new service is used more, it will be because people think it is better, and Neflix would have to adjust. That's called the free market.

While I am torn because I do not like Government regulations in these matters, it is they who enabled where we have ended up to where we are.

There is little competition in many areas, you get DSL or one choice of high speed Cable internet. That's due to the original Government regulations that let one provider into an area. It was under the misguided thought that no one would want to string cables independently to serve rural areas. So if given exclusive rights they would do it. Well, first they didn't go beyond certain points and second competition as it always does would have provided lower costs and possibly more people served by now.

So because of that many places have effectively a monopoly. When that exists I do favor certain regulation to protect us. Do you really think Comcast is going to allow Slingbox for instance to be used at the same speed as their own service? Or Verizon allow Dish Anywhere at top speed? That is what will happen. Maybe even blocking content. This goes even beyond slowing down your favorite online service.

Making an internet provider simply give you service, without editorial speed control isn't too much to ask.

Last edited:
A lot of us can't get DSL because of distance to the CO, so we're basically stuck with what our cable providers offer. They're almost a monopoly, with satellite broadband :p being the "almost". We once had a fixed point wireless provider in the DC metropolitan area, but it went belly up long ago.

Do you really think Comcast is going to allow Slingbox for instance to be used at the same speed as their own service?.

@ Tampa...Maybe I didnt make my point clear (wouldnt be the first time). The way I see it, TV providers aren't too pleased losing potential revenue to Netflix so their trying their best to get a piece of the cake. Am sure they wouldnt lose too much sleep if Netflix was gone tomorrow.

As for your question, I can see it being debated and going all the way to the Supreme Court. Cable/ISP providers saying 'we'll give you full speed as long as we agree with what your doing with it'. As of right now, as long as am not doing anything illegal, my ISP doesnt bother me, which should always remain the case.

I bet in the coming days Verizons Redbox Instant streaming works better than NetFlix on Verizons Network.

I don't for the reason I stated - in many cases they are the monopoly. And where they are not, the ones who do the blocking will in many cases be doing it to promote their brand or one who is paying them.

This really is a doomsday scenario for the customer if upheld. Stream music? You may not be able to afford to, and possibly soon.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/bobbyowsinski/2014/01/15/is-verizons-victory-a-streaming-music-killer/

There is a music source (other than AM/FM) that could benefit, and that would SiriusXM. Not for their streaming model of course, but the satellite service would not be impacted. People who have become mostly dependent on the Internet should be prepared to pay more in the service itself and some of the free streams you now use.

DISH should still be trying to get a home data service, they could mop up or at least keep the cable internet companies at bay.

Again I do not see ISPs going crazy, they would feel the wrath of their customers. The customers will complain to their representatives. We see what happens in channel disputes, just wait until Netflix is cut off.

Again I do not see ISPs going crazy, they would feel the wrath of their customers. The customers will complain to their representatives. We see what happens in channel disputes, just wait until Netflix is cut off.

Really? Complain to my representative...heck he's deaf already. Charter buying Time Warner and soon with consolidation we'll have a handful of ISP's and they will take this ruling to benefit them, and WE WILL GET SCREWED!. No more free online streaming, netflix and every movie streaming service will get hit hard. Bad ruling

Really? Complain to my representative...heck he's deaf already. Charter buying Time Warner and soon with consolidation we'll have a handful of ISP's and they will take this ruling to benefit them, and WE WILL GET SCREWED!. No more free online streaming, netflix and every movie streaming service will get hit hard. Bad ruling

I don't see how this will save them. While cord cutting is the thing to do today there are many who still have cable or satellite TV. I have no qualms about cancelling my $180/month TV service to subsidize any raise in my internet. So in the end if any providers become to greedy they may take a person who is paying well over $200 for multiple services and make them become "internet only" customers. I can live without cable TV, I can't live without the internet even if it does mean I'm not gaming and streaming on it anymore. I wonder what the people who think physical media is dead are thinking now?

No matter what in the end it will be the consumer who ends up paying. Comcast, AT&T and others can say to Netflix, the WWE Network etc that if you want us to keep offering your product to our customers then you are going to have to pay more to us to pass your service on since your service uses so much of our bandwidth.

I can only wonder whats next? My cell phone company is going to start charging me per minute based on the distance to the person I am talking to? They could do it if they started treating calls as IP traffic instead of regular calls. After all its all just data anyways.

This is a huge step backwards.

Charter buying Time Warner and soon with consolidation we'll have a handful of ISP's and they will take this ruling to benefit them, and WE WILL GET SCREWED!. No more free online streaming, netflix and every movie streaming service will get hit hard. Bad ruling

Well said.

No matter what in the end it will be the consumer who ends up paying. Comcast, AT&T and others can say to Netflix, the WWE Network etc that if you want us to keep offering your product to our customers then you are going to have to pay more to us to pass your service on since your service uses so much of our bandwidth.

I can only wonder whats next? My cell phone company is going to start charging me per minute based on the distance to the person I am talking to? They could do it if they started treating calls as IP traffic instead of regular calls. After all its all just data anyways.

This is a huge step backwards.

My first cell plan through Verizon back in 2002 actually was a regional plan. Long distance and roaming outside of my area was charged at a higher rate. The upper half of Michigan where my summer cabin is was considered roaming but parts of Northern Ohio and Indiana were included. They still had nationwide plans back then but the local plan was considerably cheaper. After a couple years of trying not to use our cell phones up at our cabin we finally gave in and switched to a nationwide plan.

These types of plans would never work for me today since my cell phone gets a lot of business use and needs long distance calling. It wasn't so bad back then though.

Am still doubtful this will happen as end customer backlash would be huge. However, in the event that it is implemented, there are certain ways around it.

Cheers, K

I don't see how this will save them. While cord cutting is the thing to do today there are many who still have cable or satellite TV. I have no qualms about cancelling my $180/month TV service to subsidize any raise in my internet. So in the end if any providers become to greedy they may take a person who is paying well over $200 for multiple services and make them become "internet only" customers. I can live without cable TV, I can't live without the internet even if it does mean I'm not gaming and streaming on it anymore. I wonder what the people who think physical media is dead are thinking now?

Unrealistic. You are saying any appreciable percentage will give up watching TV programs, AND Youtube, & Netflix? Dream on. (I have quite alot of service from DISH and am not near $180 btw Top250 HBO BB Superstations World Pack two DVR Receivers $139 That's alot of entertainment and some could be dropped and be lower)

People are not going to give up the Internet, but I predict they will give up streaming much if fees escalate or speeds are slowed to make it frustrating. A scenario possible is if you have Charter for TV and cable they won't charge anything more to stream anything. Just use their internet and they will. If I were them that is what I would do. But you can bet your bottom dollar the cost of the TV portion will cost more than getting from DISH or DIRECT and or the base cost of the internet service itself will go up. You will not win with the cable company.

I do agree physical media could make a comeback. More and better kiosks, lower prices to buy etc...

You are not going to be able to get around it if you want netflix and you want their HD streams you will need to pay more for Netflix since Netflix themselves will have to pay more to your ISP to deliver these things to you.

Yeah, Netflix wasn't going to stay $8 forever. I do think the doom and gloom that people are expecting for streaming is a little much though. We are in a connected world now. I don't see that going away. Either the government will do something or the free market will. The backlash that would happen if the ISPs started taking streaming from us would be big enough for the government to step in.

Plus if one company cripples Netflix to an unusable state like some people are saying then another company will start advertising how well Netflix works on their service. All the ISPs aren't just suddenly going to try to ruin the internet. They want to gain customers not lose them so advertising that you can stream on their service would be a selling point.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)