Will Locals work on a projector?

SonicRob

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 31, 2004
I have a infocus 4805 and i was wondering if i could get locals on it because i have a S-Video,Components, DVI connection any help would be awesome because i am thinking of getting Voom tommorrow. :D

I have a Sammy DLP (rear projection) all my locals work fine with it. The PQ is also good.

Also there are a couple of people in this foreum that uses front projection TV's with really large screens. Maybe they will also reply to this thread.

SonicRob said:
I have a infocus 4805 and i was wondering if i could get locals on it because i have a S-Video,Components, DVI connection any help would be awesome because i am thinking of getting Voom tommorrow. :D

Rob,

I also have an InFocus ScreenPlay 4805, even though this projector is 480p (ED) and not a true HiDef device, the HD VOOM channels look great on it, way better then DVD's. I have my voom box hooked up to the Component input of the 4805, and the picture is perfect with default settings on the 4805. I have the voom box send 1080i to the projector and the projector scales it down to 480p with its built in scaler. I have my 4805 set up on a 106" 16x9 screen and love it. The Voom HiDef channels and the OTA HiDef channels look great at 106 inches, the picture pops off the screen like a 3D image, truely amazing for 480p. The 4805 is a great 480p 16x9 DLP projector!!!!!

SD from VOOM is way better then SD i get from my Dish Network Sat Box.
Most of the Movie premium SD channels and popular non premium SD channels are watchable at 106", but there is some softness/fuzzyness at that size do to compression on the SD channels.

Hook it up for the SuperBowl, you will be glad you did, it is like having a 50 Yard line seat in the first row of the lower level, LOL!!!

I actually prefer watching my VOOM HD channels at 480p on the 4805's 106" screen instead of on my Hitachi 57" HiDef RPTV. For $1200 the 4805 is an awsome 480p 16x9 DLP projector. You can by HiDef LCD projectors in that price range, but the 3d pop is not there with LCD, and the black levels are way worse with LCD. DLP HiDef projectors still cost $4500+.

Don't worry, you don't need a separate connection for locals. With Voom, the single set-top receiver provides both locals and satellite channels to the TV through a single connection. DVI is/would be my choice, but some prefer component.

Keep in mind that it isn't actually Voom who will be delivering the locals, but your local stations. So, you probably want to go to www.antennaweb.org to see if you can get locals at your home.

Thanks

You all have been a big help very good information and that is glad to see someone else has a Infocus 4805. :D

I have not tried that yet with my X1 (still running X1 software 4.3) but its an idea... most sd from either D* or E* sucks on it...But on my hd set in living room the pq on antenna reception locals (vhf only one digital) is not really that bad...

I am using a NEC vt47 and rgb/component connection

SonicRob said:
in my bar and get the locals fine........you should have no problems. Hope we will still have VOOM for awhile longer. Superbowl Sunday at least!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts