Will RCA Scenium DRS7000N work with voom?

randym431

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 29, 2004
Does anyone have the RCA Scenium DRS7000N - 30 hr HDD Recorder, and use it with voom? I was going to get the drs7000n and wondered if voom is a selection for satellite receivers, when setting up the unit?

randym431 said:
Does anyone have the RCA Scenium DRS7000N - 30 hr HDD Recorder, and use it with voom? I was going to get the drs7000n and wondered if voom is a selection for satellite receivers, when setting up the unit?
I am not familiar with this particular DVR, but I don't think any standalone HD recorder will work with VOOM. VOOM STB currently doesn't offer MPEG-encoded output (e.g. FireWire), and DVRs normally do not have built-in HD encoders and because of that, they are not able of handling uncompressed HD signal via DVI or component connections...

Woops. I'll answer my own post, incase it may help others? Just realized that - This recorder, RCA Scenium DRS7000N, only uses guide-plus downloaded from analog cable tv. It doesn’t support any other guides and has no ir controller to change receiver channels. Guess you can connect vooms out's to its in's, and manually record.

So this an SD-only recorder? In that case you certainly can record from VOOM. I was talking about HD recording...

Well I got this today, and it does have the ir receiver control. It will work with satellite receivers. But...not voom. Seems the software is out dated and rca doesnt seem to support this recorder. That means no updates!!! In the list of satellite receivers, you can select dish or primestar (does that tell you anything). Primestar? Too bad rca gave up on supporting this recorder. Its not a bad unit and unlike tivo - no fee's.

Can you connect it up and record what you are watching over firewire? That was the impression I got when I was looking at the RCA HD DVRs.

What makes Tivo Tivo is that you can record one and sometimes two shows while watching another or even a pre-recorded program. Pausing live TV is kind of cool too.

I like to think of the RCA DVRs as and expensive tapeless VCR.

Shawn

Shawn95GT said:
Can you connect it up and record what you are watching over firewire? That was the impression I got when I was looking at the RCA HD DVRs.

What makes Tivo Tivo is that you can record one and sometimes two shows while watching another or even a pre-recorded program. Pausing live TV is kind of cool too.

I like to think of the RCA DVRs as and expensive tapeless VCR.

Shawn

When I was checking out HD-DVRs, I looked at this one, it is really for OTA HD but your HD OTA-STB has to have firewire out so it will link up with the RCA, something like the Samsung-165.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts