Will there be a statement today???

i agree with 1080iBeVumin; the longer this drags out, the better the chance of Voom surviving..
if it was an open and shut deal, closing Voom down, it wouldn't have taken more than a few minutes..

No the death of our beloved Voom will ber a long drawn out process, leaving us Subs dying on the Vine as it were. Thats if Voom Dies I may just say to hell with Extra programming and watch the Networks on OTA with my old Voom Box and Save myself some money this year.

1080iBeVuMin said:
If Voom were to be shut down, we would have heard that news yesterday. That would have been the easy decision. So, I see the delayed announcement as positive for Voom but requiring negotiations on several fronts.
Of course, this is all just IMHO.
Those are my thoughts exactly. If it was "die" it would have been plastered everywhere! Vicki

madpoet said:
I'd like to know the answer to that as well. Are they actually meeting again today?

Probably but they want to keep it a secret to increase the likelyhood of lawsuits. ANy results too.:rolleyes:

I hope that Voom gets "sold" to E* - that way I might be able to watch it, since Voom is like Conan the Barbarian because I can't ground my satellite according to NEC specs. That's the only reason I want that to happen - so I can watch it!

Walter L. said:
I suspect that there is not board meeting today. Perhaps, Chuck Dolan is back talking to E*.

who knows??? Lets just be happy in the mushroom patch:rolleyes:

Yes they WERE meeting today. I heard from local news down here in Florida. It's getting some attention down here seeing that nothing major ever happens in Palm Beach except a Kennedy doing something wrong or hurricanes.
I heard around the same time as yesterday.

gryphon said:
I hope that Voom gets "sold" to E* - that way I might be able to watch it, since Voom is like Conan the Barbarian because I can't ground my satellite according to NEC specs. That's the only reason I want that to happen - so I can watch it!
NO!!!! That would mean that the VOOM21 would be replaced by 21 International and/or Shopping SD channels.

I don't understand why everybody gives E* such a hard time. Their picture quality is better than Voom's. I have never had a problem with their web site or their customer service or their billing dept. After a year, I can downgrade my service to only include the HD pack and whatever else I want (right now I have the HD pack and HBO). That's almost a la carte.

Sure, their SD picture quality sucks! Who's doesn't anymore? HD is what we're talking about here.

Sure, they have international and local channels. At least they're making money. And if they weren't making money, do you think they'd still be able to provide HD channels?

Do they provide as many HD channels as Voom? Not even close. If they buy Voom programming, does it matter? No. They'd get the HD channels, get rid of the sucky ones (which is probably 60 to 80% of them) and give us better quality HD for the ones that actually matter.

Let's face it, the only reason Voom has "31 HD channels" is so they can say they have 31 HD channels. Do you really think they'd have all of those crappy channels if numbers didn't matter and they could get customers anyway? It's all about maximizing profits while decreasing costs. The problem with Voom is that they had poor execution and people saw right through that marketing mumbo-jumbo.

Perhaps E* could take it and run it like a satellite company should run it: In a manner in which they can make money!!!

ChetK said:
I don't understand why everybody gives E* such a hard time. Their picture quality is better than Voom's.
E* is not commited to deliver the best PQ. Have you seen the letter where E* asks the FCC to allow downrezzing of HD locals?

Walter L. said:
E* is not commited to deliver the best PQ. Have you seen the letter where E* asks the FCC to allow downrezzing of HD locals?

Yes. And the whole purpose of that is so they can minimize bandwidth. If they can take the same HD source and downconvert it to SD subscribers, wouldn't that make more sense than having to accept two different feeds from the same station? Of course, they'd still broadcast the HD locals in their native HD data rate to HD subscribers.

Well..

1) I've had both and Dish Network's PQ is no comparison to VOOM's IMO. :yes

2) Dish Network has fewer HD's than cable had 2 years ago. If VOOM goes KABOOM then Cable is the only choice for a decent amount of HD, until Directv gets moving. Dish Network is nice, but to me "quality" is far down its list of attributes it owns.... :smug

3) I'll admit that some of VOOM's original movie channels are pure crap - I have to be honest about that - but Rave and Equator are both amazing, and if you take what all the movie channels offer - there is at least ONE thing on that appeals to me at all times...That LAB channel is damn nice to have on in the background too! :cool:

Walter L. said:
Nope. The HD subs would get the same dowrezzed/bit-starved/HDLite feed ;)
You must be thinking of D*. E* doesn't have HDLite. I have E* and had V*, but I always thought E*'s PQ was tons better. Plus, the 6000U hasn't crashed once in the 2.5 years I've owned it. The V* motorola box crashed at least 2.5 times every one day. :D

It won't matter once HD-DVDs and/or Blu-Ray is available. I'll get rid of everything, but HBO (for Deadwood, Carnivale and Sopranos) once they're available. Then, I won't have to worry about bit-rate starved satellite.

ChetK said:
You must be thinking of D*. E* doesn't have HDLite. I have E* and had V*, but I always thought E*'s PQ was tons better.
Currently D* is the only one offering HDlite. But on that letter to FCC, E* was basically asking the FCC to allow HDLite for locals. The topic was was debated to death at AVSForum. Unfortunately, it looks like the HDLite disease continues propagating.

Walter L. said:
Have you seen the letter where E* asks the FCC to allow downrezzing of HD locals?
Yes, I actually read it and the FCC actually agreed with it.

The transition demanded by the FCC is to move from analog to digital. There is absolutely no mandate from the FCC or congress to force stations to move to HD. The plan put forth by E* (and others) allows for a transition to DIGITAL without giving an unfair advantage to stations that choose to broadcast HD.

JL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts