Wind & Dish alignment

Mark_AR

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
North Arkansas
We had severe winds here in N ark yesterday. My FTA 30" Winegard is now pointing earthward rather than skyward.

My two E* dishes survived, but they are 1/2 the size.

Are there any *MESH* 30" ku dishes out there?

If not, I think I'll wait til spring and just go to a B-U-D.

Thanks!

I havent seen one, and honestly due to the size of the KU dishes, it probably isn't practical

KU mesch work on a 10' C-Band, but I think with a 30" it wouldn't work :(

DISH is coming out with a mesh SuperDISH. Wouldn't that work for KA or is the dish not large enough?

Thanks 'berg. I guess this just confirms my wanting to move to C-Band. I can mount a 2x1 switch on the BUD LNB arm and have the best of both worlds. C & ku.

Just need that new DiSEqC 1.2 positioner. (VBOX)

Not looking forward to moving all my cables and digging a hole half way to china to secure it. (4-5 ft in solid clay) yuk!

Neutron said:
DISH is coming out with a mesh SuperDISH. Wouldn't that work for KA or is the dish not large enough?

its actually KU and it would work...but we all know how reliable the Superdish is :)

Is the wind load of a solid dish really that much more then a mesh dish? I would think that the wind load would be nearly the same since the holes are so small.

I just got a new satellite catalog yesterday and there's a DBS adaptor for BUD's $99.99. It says it will work with any DBS receiver and includes a Gold series LNBF. I wont post the company name because I don't want to step on anyones toes here. but I'm pretty sure you could find one.

The holes may be small but there are several of them so several small holes would serve the purpose quite well. The holes cannot be too big or the signals would pass through the reflector instead of bouncing off of it.

Dish Network could have an option to add onto the outside of the dish to make it larger for those that need an extra gain from the satellite. It could be clipped on where it bends over on the outside of it and the add on peice could have that bend in it as well to clip both peices together. Replacing the whole reflector peice would probably be more appropriate though but it is just an idea. Having a larger mesh reflector would not add much weight to the dish. Also if they needed to add additional lnbf's they could come out with a larger reflector to put in place of the one that is currently on the dish and replace the peice where three lnbf's are attached at and replace that with another peice to allow for more lnbf's. This would save on parts.

You could create a simple "V" brace that bolts onto the bottom of the dish and down to your roof to help stabilize it as well.

directv odd transponder problem - did search

The "other" forum

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts