Windows 10/11 Download

The “upgrade” process and perceived differences from 10 to 11 are negligible.

Just as aggravating.

Sure there are GUI changes, some, but mostly, it's the guts that got the most attention.
To be more specific, the control panel got a visual remodel/restructuring from its Windows 7 (or XP or earlier) foundations. The new elements of the control panel are perhaps a little deeper down in the tree than they used to be. Setting up a printer or a scanner is much more convoluted than it should be but you only have to do that once per device.

Of course, as Windows 11 evolves, bits of the functionality "lost" from Windows 10 re-emerge as Microsoft finally converts them to the Windows 10 UI motif.

Improvements in Windows Update performance are achieved by having semi-monthly updates where the bug fixes are usually released on "Patch Tuesday" and updates/improvements are downloaded two weeks later for either immediate or subsequent "activation".

I think the keys in making the upgrade decision should be driven by what you're computer is made (driver support, RAM, etc.) of as well as what your installed/desired software supports. If anyone thinks they're going to see a substantial performance boost, I have a bridge to offer.

Further, an SSD is a virtual must for the system drive.

2024-02 .NET 6.0.27 Security Update for x64 Client (KB5035119) and 2024-02 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64 based Systems Builds: 22621.3155 and 22631.3155 (KB5034765) have been released. Moderate time needed for those wishing to perform a manual download/install/restart. A couple of new features and quality improvements come with this update.

Reactions: Foxbat and vazhog
2024-02 Cumulative Update Preview for Windows 11 Version 23H2 for x64 based systems Builds:22621.3235 and 22631.3235 (KB5034848) has been released. Moderate time needed for those wishing to perform a manual download/install/restart. Several new features and quality improvements come with this update.

Reactions: vazhog
Windows 10 died on me update wise. Tried everything to fix it, but it refused to be fixed. Restored 10, the. Updated to 11. 11 has bern nice but I think that is more the SSD.

Windows 10 died on me update wise.
This has happened more than once. There's one that started not too long ago that involves Bitlocker requiring a lot more space on the system restore partition than is available by default.

Microsoft doesn't seem to spend a lot of time testing their updates. That they want to get rid of Windows 10 makes their lack of effort seem evil.

This issue with bad updates has become more of an issue for Companies using Windows for Business since the new methodology of “Patch as Soon as Patches are Released” is considered less a Business Risk than running unpatched systems that vulnerable to Ransomware that exploit those unpatched vulnerabilities.

We used to test patches for a week before patching production servers, now we’re back to 2-3 days of testing like the 2000s.

We used to test patches for a week before patching production servers, now we’re back to 2-3 days of testing like the 2000s.
Servers are a whole different can of worms -- especially the ones running Microsoft's ever-miserable Exchange Server where things go bad quicly.

If you look at the breakdown of the patches, many of them aren't for Windows proper. They are for Edge, Office and other flea-bitten Microsoft offerings.

Reactions: Foxbat
2024-03 .NET 6.0.28 Update for x64 Client (KB5036450) and 2024-03 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 23H2 Builds: 22621.3296 and 22631.3296 for x64 Systems (KB50358530 have been released. Moderate time needed for those wishing to perform a manual download/install/restart. Quality improvements only. No new operating system features.

Reactions: Foxbat and vazhog
2024-03 Cumulative Update Preview for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8.1 for Windows 11 Version 23H2 for x64 (KB5036036) and 2024-03 Cumulative Update Preview for Windows 11 Version 23H2 Builds: 22621.3374 and 22631.3374 for x64-based Systems (KB5035942) have been released. Moderate time needed for those wishing to perform a manual download/install/restart. Quality improvements only. No new operating system features.

Reactions: Tweek and vazhog
My laptop is bugging me again to upgrade to Windows 11 version 22H2. Should I?
That should depend on how much RAM and free storage space it has along with how well Windows 10 is serving your needs.

Changing versions for the sake of changing versions has never been a great idea -- especially if the machine in question wasn't designed to run the newer version.

It seems evident that Microsoft has discovered that the Windows 11 deficiencies are something that they're going to have to address to improve uptake so I'd imagine that the transition is only going to get less frustrating as time progresses.

The context menu. Right clicking, in the case of file extraction using 7Zip, require an extra dip deeper.
The start menu being in the center of the task bar. Both easily fixed.
Running a .msi installer sometimes requires you to set an unblock in the properties. Some installers must be run as admin. Unitrunker being one.
The gui is somewhat of a significant change from 10 and previous versions. Although a web search for a quick fix or file/regedit edits to solve some annoyances is straight forward.
I use an FTDI serial adapter to edit my ASC-1 satellites. 11 for some reason deemed it to be obsolete. Force installing previous drivers solved the problem. But was persistently overwritten until a fix for that was found.
I am using this laptop that although it kept getting prompts to upgrade to 11. Didn't meet the requirements.
Rufus and downloading the Win 11 .iso with it made for a seamless install. I did a fresh install and reinstalled my programs and files. It's stable. No hangups or crashes at all. Bypassing the Microsoft account thing needed another pc to figure out the bypass. Then setting up a local account was easy. I don't hate 11, but I don't love it either.
Hah! And don't go harping on me about linikus.

One thing I noticed this morning is the battery is going down faster. I suspect something is running in the background. It was plugged up all night, but around 3 AM the battery starts going down. Before I could unplug it and use it most of the day. After just two hours the battery is down to 50%.

Last edited:
2024-04 .NET 6.0.29 Security Update for x64 Client (KB5037336) and 2024-04 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8.1 for Windows 11 Version 23H2 for x64 (KB5036620) and 2024-04 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 23H2 for x64 based Systems Builds:22621.3447 and 22631.3447 (KB5036893) have been released. Moderate time needed for those wishing to perform a manual download/install/restart. Quality improvements only. No new operating system features.

Reactions: vazhog